LTR - Vasque Breeze LT GTX - Tim Tessier

  • timothy_tessier
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2009
      Following find my LTR for the Vasque boots. You will find the html
      version in the test folder at the following link:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20-%20Vasque%20Br\
      eeze%20LT%20GTX%20-%20Tim%20Tessier/
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20-%20Vasque%20B\
      reeze%20LT%20GTX%20-%20Tim%20Tessier/>

      The text version of the LTR portion is below:

      Long Term Report - September 1, 2009

      I have had one extended opportunity to wear the boots since filing the
      Field Report. This was a 3-day, 28 mile trip to Dolly Sods Wilderness
      Area in West Virginia. This area is a breathtakingly beautiful, but
      extremely rugged area of high meadows and hardwood forest. There were a
      few steep sections but generally we were walking on relatively benign
      grades. The difficulty comes however due to the rocky nature of the
      area.

      This area is very rocky, making the footing tricky. Part of the trail
      follows across rock outcroppings marked by cairns, and in other places
      is a gravel path. Additionally, it is nearly always very wet and this
      was aggravated by the fact that it had rained heavily for the entire
      week before we arrived, and rained heavily for 6 straight hours on our
      last morning there. This meant that trails that are normally rocky were
      shallow streams, and trails that are normally soft dirt were
      boot-sucking mudholes.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Rocky trail">>

      Additionally, we negotiated several stream crossings by rock hopping,
      but due to the rain, the rocks were under a few inches of water.
      Thankfully, this time we were prepared with both rain pants and gaiters.

      I have to say, the Vasque boots performed better than I expected. Even
      though I was carrying a pack that weighed in at 24 lbs (11 kg) plus
      water, the rocky footing did not particularly bother my feet. The
      traction is excellent and I did not slip, even on rocky stream
      crossings. The light weight and great traction was a very nice
      combination in those areas in which we were navigating rocky
      outcroppings. At the end of each day my feet were tired and slightly
      more sore than I would have liked but certainly nothing excruciating.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5" IMAGE CAPTION = "Nice Stream,
      Oh Wait, that's the trail">>

      As for the waterproof properties of these boots I will say that they
      are waterproof to a point. I was wearing gaiters constantly on this
      trip. As long as we were just splashing through puddles or mudholes I
      did not detect any water leakage in these boots. However, if we got
      into an area where the lacing area of the boots was covered in water I
      immediately felt leaks on the top of my foot. There are vents on either
      side of the laces and I believe that the water is coming in at that
      point. When I reached camp both nights, and the truck on the third day
      I must say that my socks were wet. However, in terms of wet hiking
      conditions these were truly extreme conditions.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 9" IMAGE CAPTION = "Typical stream
      crossing">>

      After many miles of wear over 4 months time these boots look fine.
      There is not the slightest hint of any stitching coming loose, soles
      wearing out, or any other structural issues.

      Final Summary

      I have thoroughly enjoyed wearing the Vasque Breeze LT GTX boots. They
      look and feel great with jeans as an active casual shoe. They are very
      lightweight and comfortable when being used for dayhikes when wearing a
      lightweight pack. They offer excellent traction and great ventilation.

      They are also comfortable when carrying a full pack on wooded trails.
      When they are truly tested by rocky and/or wet trails while carrying a
      pack they are not, in my opinion, quite up to the task. When I end an 8
      - 10 mile (13 - 16 km) day in these conditions I feel noticeable pain
      and soreness in my feet. I also find that they are not adequately
      waterproof in extremely wet conditions.

      As stated previously, I believe that the claims made by the makers of
      these boots are spot-on. They are an excellent compromise or crossover
      product. If I were a trail runner they would probably be too heavy and
      clunky for my taste. However, as a traditional backpacker they are
      pleasingly comfortable but not quite up to the strenuous conditions I
      sometimes hike in.

      Here's what I like about them:
      - They are extremely well ventilated
      - They are light and comfortable
      - They offer excellent traction in virtually any conditions

      Here's what I don't like about them:
      - They aren't thoroughly waterproof
      - They don't offer as much protection in the soles as I prefer

      I do want to say thanks to backpackgeartest and to Vasque for the
      opportunity to test these boots.

      This concludes my review. See you on the trail!

    • zakalwe32
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2009
        > EDIT: LTR - Vasque Breeze LT GTX - Tim Tessier

        Tim, I have found no edits. I have one comment: You state in your summary that the boots aren't thoroughly waterproof. Earlier on, you explain that the ingress of water is through ventilation holes near the top of the boot. So it seems that they are waterproof in the area in which they are designed to be waterproof, only you'd like that area to extend over a larger portion of the shoe.

        Maybe one could phrase that more clearly, e.g. by stating "waterproof only to about x inches / y cm above the sole".

        Just a thought.

        There being no EDITs, you are clear to upload at your earliest convenience. Please don't forget to delete the test folder item.
        Regards,

        André
        the monitor that's Gone With the Breeze

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "timothy_tessier" <timothy_tessier@...> wrote:

        > Following find my LTR for the Vasque boots. You will find the html
        > version in the test folder at the following link:
        >
        > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20-%20Vasque%20Br\
        > eeze%20LT%20GTX%20-%20Tim%20Tessier/
        > <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20-%20Vasque%20B\
        > reeze%20LT%20GTX%20-%20Tim%20Tessier/>
        >
        > The text version of the LTR portion is below:
        <snip>