2nd AMENDMENT- IR- BUSHNELL BACKTRACK GPS PERSONAL LOCATION FINDER-RALPH DITTON

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2009
      Hello Brett,
      Sorry to do this to you.
      Roger got me thinking, “what else have I missed?”
      Yep, I missed something, so I included it under “What does it do” re. The
      999 maximum numerals.

      Anyway, here is the text version and the test folder copy is at:

      http://tinyurl.com/lkye8r

      Best
      Ralph

      BUSHNELL BACKTRACK PERSONAL LOCATION FINDER

      TEST REPORTS BY RALPH DITTON
      INITIAL REPORT: 29th AUGUST, 2009
      FIELD REPORT:
      LONG TERM REPORT:

      Personal Information
      Name: Ralph Ditton
      Age: 58
      Gender: Male
      Height: 1. 76 m (5 ft 9 in)
      Weight: 71 kg (156.5 lb)
      Email: rdassetts at optusnet dot com dot au
      City: Perth. Western Australia. Australia

      Backpacking Background
      My playgrounds are the Bibbulmun Track and the Coastal Plain Trail. I
      aim to become a sectional end-to-end walker of the Bibbulmun Track. I am
      nearly there as it is 964 km (603 mi) long. My pack weight including
      food and water tends to hover around 18 kg (40 lb) but I am trying to
      get lighter. My trips range from overnighters to five days duration.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Bushnell Corporation
      Year of Manufacturer: 2008
      Manufacturer's URL: http://www.bushnell.com
      Model: BackTrack GPS
      Model Number: 36-0060 - International
      Colour: Gray/Orange
      Made in: China
      Listed Weight: Not listed
      Measured Weight: 72 g [2.5 oz] (including batteries)
      Measured Weight with lanyard: 84 g [2.9 oz] (including batteries)
      Batteries: 2 AAA
      Battery Life: Over 130 uses/ 20+ hours
      Listed Dimensions: 75 (H) x 90 (W) x 19 (D) mm [3 (H) x 3.5 (W) x 0.75
      (D) in
      Waypoints: 3
      Compass: Self calibrating digital compass
      Antenna: SiRF Star 111 GPS receiver
      Screen type: Grayscale LCD
      Backlight: Blue
      Warranty: One year
      MSRP: USD79.49 (for International version)

      Product Description
      What I received was what I expected from the outward appearance as
      depicted on the manufacturer's web site. However, I was a little
      surprised at the apparent conflict of model numbers.

      The main web page that deals with the item and which has the video on
      its uses, has a button to choose the colour choices. When clicked on and
      I made a colour choice selection, the model number was 36-0050 for the
      Gray/Orange.

      trapezium box
      The trapezium shaped box it arrived in had a model number of 36-0060 on
      the base.
      After much searching of the manufacturer's web page I discovered that my
      model was an International model but the "Features" description does not
      mention what is different and it cost USD2 more.

      I took the matter up with the Product Line Manager GPS who advised the
      following: " The 36-0050 comes in an English only clam card package.
      This unit is primarily sold in the United States. The BackTrack units
      are set to a default of Yards/Miles.

      The 36-0060 comes in a 6 language paper box. The SKU (part of the full
      model number description SKU #: 36-0060) also includes a storage pouch.
      The included BackTrack is set to the default of Metres/Kilometres. This
      SKU is primarily sold by our International subsidiaries.

      The actual BackTrack's are exactly the same, with only the default units
      settings differing."

      The Bushnell BackTrack Personal Location Finder comes in other colours:
      Green, Pink, Tech Gray and Camo.

      rear of trapezium box

      What does it do
      The BackTrack unit can store up to three locations for the user to
      navigate back to.
      There are three icon symbols, house, car and a star.

      Depending on the icon being displayed at the time, that icon will
      indicate a location that I have marked and stored in the BackTrack. E.g.
      I would use the house icon to mark the position of my home or someone
      else's home when visiting an area I am unfamiliar with so that I could
      find my way back again after say going down to the shops.

      N.B. It does not necessarily have to be a home. It can be any location
      that I choose. All I have to do is remember what is the location that I
      have marked under that icon.
      This is true for all of the location icons.

      To find my way back to a marked location, the display shows the distance
      from the location and an arrow head shows the direction.

      The car icon I would use when leaving the vehicle hidden in the bush
      when setting off on a backpack. I would mark the car's location.

      The unit is incapable of displaying actual co-ordinates that would
      assist with map reading.

      The only way to change a marked location is to override it with a fresh
      marked location.

      As there is only three spaces for numerals, the distance display
      automatically changes from metres to kilometres ( yards to miles) up to
      a maximum distance of 999 kilometres or miles.

      What happens after that if I exceed the magic numbers of 999 is anybodys
      guess as the Instruction Booklet is silent.
      Does the unit throw a hissy fit, or does it store the actual distance
      whilst displaying the numerals 999 and then starts to countdown as I
      return and move under 999 kilometres (620 mi) from say 3,000 km (1,864 mi).
      I will be traveling to Sydney next month which is on the other side of
      Australia, some 3,000 km's (1,864 mi) distant. This will be a little test.

      Another feature is the digital compass. In the Compass mode, an arrow
      head points North and the display shows the direction that I am facing
      in degrees.

      There is a fixed graduation ring with 60 markings around the
      circumference on the bezel edge.

      The face
      The round viewing face has a diameter of 37 mm (1.5 in) which is a very
      good size to view the displayed information. This allows for large icons
      eliminating the need for me to wear glasses.
      The numerals are 8 mm (0.3 in) high and 5 mm (0.2 in) wide. Nice and big.

      digital compass

      digital compass

      The satellite, battery, location modes and digital compass icons are
      much smaller but very visible without my need for glasses. The smallest
      icon is 3 mm (0.11 in) including the Directional Arrow point. (See above
      photo)

      Hard up against the transparent face around the circumference are 60
      graduation markings and at each 7½ graduation marking there is a
      recessed red dot, giving a total of eight around the circumference.
      These markings are there to assist with the unit in compass mode.

      The buttons

      button and icon functions
      (Acknowledgment)
      photo of manual page

      There are two buttons, one between the 1 and 2 o'clock position and the
      other between the 10 and 11 o'clock position. For ease of description I
      will use 2 and 10 o'clock.

      The 2 o'clock position button is the MODE/Power button. It turns the
      unit on/off and switches between the location icons and digital compass.

      To turn the unit on, I have to hold the button in for a few seconds then
      it will then search for satellites.

      When I want to scroll through the icons, I have to just quickly press
      the MODE button and an icon will show up. I just keep scrolling until I
      find the one I want.

      The 10 o'clock position button is the MARK/Backlight button.

      To mark a location, I press the MARK button and hold the button in until
      the distance indication changes.

      In addition, in poor light or darkness I press the MARK/Backlight button
      and a blue light illuminates the face from what I believe are two LED
      sources that are in line with the two buttons as they are hidden under
      the casing. It does not appear to be an electroluminescent source.
      It illuminates the face for about 20 seconds.

      The amount of light given off is 0.5 lux (as measured by my light metre)
      at a distance of 3 cm (1.2 in). By way of comparison, a Quarter moon
      gives off 0.01 lux and a full moon is 1 lux.

      The blue light is very good for scotopic (night) vision as human vision
      has increased sensitivity to its wavelength.

      Battery Compartment
      On the reverse of the unit is the battery cover which takes up most of
      the rear.

      To open I have to twist the round battery cover clockwise which is quite
      difficult to do as there are only two small lugs to use for my fingernails.

      There is an O ring recessed in the body of the unit to give it a weather
      seal.

      Inside and above the battery recessed slot is a label with the model
      number and what appears to be a serial number and bar code.

      Lanyard
      A lanyard is supplied and it attaches to the big eyelet at the base of
      the unit. (See above photo on the reverse of the box).

      The tail of the lanyard, which has a thin cord loop, can be separated
      from the actual cord by pressing in the lugs in and pulling apart.

      Also supplied is a soft material storage pouch with a draw cord.

      The Instructions
      I found these very easy to understand.

      The Instruction booklet has sections devoted to English, French,
      Spanish, German, Italian and Portuguese.

      The English section has only 6 pages and the first two pages has good
      illustrations with lots of arrows pointing to various parts of the unit
      indicating their function.

      The next two pages devote themselves to the various functions and how to
      operate the buttons.

      The last two are housekeeping ones detailing "Warnings and Notices" and
      the "One Year Limited Warranty"

      The instructions can also be downloaded from the manufacturer's web site.

      My Initial Impressions
      I was pleasantly surprised to receive a packet of 4 AAA Lithium batteries.
      The box stated that batteries were not included and that I only needed
      two. A real bonus.

      The feel of the unit was comfortable as it sat in the palm of my hand.
      Its casing is plastic with the orange edge slightly frosted for better
      grip. A nice touch.

      Opening the battery compartment was a tad difficult as there is very
      little to get a purchase on to rotate the back cover. There are two very
      slightly raised lugs 33 mm (1.3 in) apart in an east/west position. I
      had to use my thumb fingernails against the side of the lugs which are
      about ½ mm (0.02 in) high and push against them in a clockwise direction.

      This aspect really needs some attention, perhaps a reinforced centre for
      a coin to be inserted into a slot which can then twist it open or two
      slightly rounded finger/thumb recesses.

      Once open, the batteries were easy to install. I just followed the + and
      - symbols stamped into the battery well.
      The batteries are a very snug fit and I had some difficulty in trying to
      remove them as an exercise. Perhaps a little ribbon underneath them
      would assist.

      The buttons are a good size with a diameter of 8 mm (0.3 in). Plenty of
      surface for my fingers to operate on. The top surfaces are stamped in a
      fine grid pattern to make them non-slip.

      I went outside and powered up the unit, locked onto the satellites and
      scrolled through to my home icon. I then proceeded to change the units
      from Metric to Imperial by holding in both the MARK and MODE buttons,
      then back again to Metric as I wanted to test the ease of operation of
      switching between units.
      It was very easy.

      Once done, I then marked my home position.
      Then I went for a little walk around the block and used the unit to
      direct me back home.

      When I got back home to the spot where I marked it, the display numeral
      went to 0 and I got a star burst of arrow heads.

      arrived at location

      arrived at location
      As can be seen in the above photo, the numeral and icons are nice and
      big and I did not need to use my glasses.

      I then tried out the digital compass mode. I wanted to check it for
      accuracy against my base plate compass for magnetic north.
      What I found was that it was spot on, but I had to take it slowly as the
      unit changed numerals seconds after I stopped rotating my body trying to
      line up magnetic north. There was a lag time so it took a little time
      finding magnetic north.
      As this was my first time using it I put it down to inexperience and
      unfamiliarity with the unit. Hopefully I will get better at getting a
      fix with more experience.

      The arrow head always points magnetic north.

      The other pleasing aspect was that it is self calibrating. Unlike my
      GPS, I did not have to rotate it twice to achieve a calibration when I
      installed the batteries.

      There is no means to manually delete a marked location. The only way
      around it is to override it with another marked location. I'll have to
      be careful not to override the wrong one when out in the bush taking my
      waypoints.

      Maybe there should be some warning flash on the screen along the lines
      of "Are you sure that you want to override this location icon?"
      Just a thought.

      As the unit is still new and I have unused icons, the display shows
      three dashes in lieu of numerals.

      unused icon

      unused icon
      The battery icon shows that they are still full and the satellite icon
      is steady and locked on. The directional arrow is immobile as it has no
      reference.

      When writing up this report, I had the unit switched on looking at its
      various features and the satellite lock stayed on even though I was
      indoors in front of a window with a small eave.
      The unit was still locking onto satellites through the window. Very
      impressive.

      Summary

      Overall, the BackTrack is very easy to operate, just a two button
      operation and the numerals and icons are large enough without me
      requiring my glasses to see clearly.

      The soft storage pouch is a nice touch. It gives protection to the
      display face.

      I would like to see maybe more than the ability of just three waypoints.
      Perhaps a maximum of six especially when bushwalking so that points of
      interest can be marked for a future return.
      I do tend to return to the same area when leading/assisting with
      Introductory Walks for my Bushwalking Club.

      There is no facility to display the GPS co-ordinates which is a pity. I
      do like to use the co-ordinates and look them up in Google Earth.

      Things I like

      * Lightweight but solid
      * Large numerals and icons
      * Self calibrating digital compass
      * Simple to operate
      * Good backlight
      * Battery metre
      * Satellite icon locks on quickly

      Things that could be improved

      * Battery cover needs a better feature to open it, like a reinforced
      coin slot or finger/thumb holes
      * Easier removal of batteries
      * More waypoints
      * Display of GPS co-ordinates

      This concludes my Initial Report. The Field Report will be amended to
      this report in approximately two months from the date of this report.
      Please check back then for further information.
    • Brett Haydin
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2009
        Ralph,

        I'm glad you took the time to reassess the content. I do have one comment
        from a reader-friendly perspective. You start the Product Description with
        commentary about how the model numbers differed. While I think this is
        valuable content, it may flow better to put the "what does it do"
        information first.

        Feel free to upload when you make all the necessary changes. I believe you
        know the conventions"

        EDIT: Must do

        Edit: suggested change

        Comment: just that

        Don't forget to delete the test file. See you in two months!

        -Brett

        <snip>
        The main web page that deals with the item and which has the video on its
        uses, has a button to choose the colour choices.

        Edit: remove the comma. It sounds like a run-on then, but the comma is not
        needed.

        When clicked on and I made a colour choice selection, the model number was
        36-0050 for the Gray/Orange.

        EDIT: When "I" clicked on and made a.. Need the subject before the first
        verb.

        <snip>

        After much searching of the manufacturer's web page I discovered that my
        model was an International model but the "Features" description does not
        mention what is different and it cost USD2 more.

        Edit: I would suggest a period after "International model."

        <snip>

        " The 36-0050 comes in an English only clam card package.
        EDIT: remove space between " and The.

        <snip>

        changes from metres to kilometres ( yards to miles) up to

        EDIT: remove space between ( and yards

        <snip>

        The English section has only 6 pages and the first two pages has good
        illustrations with lots of arrows pointing to various parts of the unit
        indicating their function.
        EDIT: two pages "have" good.

      • Ralph Ditton
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2009
          Hello Brett,

          I have done the edits.

          Thanks.

          For some reason the final site is trimming some of my photos.

          I have uploaded it twice and it is still doing it.

          I'll give it a rest and try later so don't panic with all of the upload
          notices.

          I did not have this problem in the test folder.