FR-Sun Protection Zone's Adult Short Sleeve Rash Guard Shirt-Cheryl McMurray

  • Cheryl Mcmurray
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2009
      Hi Andrew,
      Here's my Field Test review. I have included the complete review to
      this point so just scroll down to the Field Test section to edit.
      This is a few days early as the mountains in Southern California are
      full of smoke from the fires and any further testing of the shirt
      before Sept. 8th will not be possible. I have been able to do many
      days of testing so it should not be a problem. The tiny URL is http://tinyurl.com/l7ttra
      Thank You,
      Cheryl

      SUN PROTECTION ZONE'S ADULT SHORT SLEEVE RASH GUARD SHIRT

      TEST SERIES BY CHERYL MCMURRAY

      INITIAL REPORT
      June, 22 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      Name: Cheryl McMurray
      Age: 50
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 8 in (173 cm)
      Weight: 145 lb (66.6 kg)
      Email Address: cherylswan@...
      City, State, Country: Garden Grove, California, U.S.

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      I've been backpacking and hiking for four years, mostly on weekends
      year around. Backpacks are usually 3 day, 2 night trips in the
      Eastern Sierras with 32-40 lb (15-18 kg) loads depending on the season
      and distances around 30 mi (48 km). One class 2 rock climb with a
      day pack is common. Day hikes are 10-15 mi (16-24 km) in the San
      Bernardino and San Gabriel Mountains with loads of 15-20 lb (7-9 km).
      I have camped in snow, freezing temperatures, winds (once was gale
      force), light rain, but mostly fair weather so far.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Sun Protection Zone
      Year of manufacture: 2009
      Product: Adult women's short sleeve rash guard shirt
      Listed sizes: S-XXL
      Listed measurements: none listed on website
      Requested measurement: 38 in (97 cm) chest
      Tested size: XL
      Listed weight: None listed on website
      Weight as delivered: 5.5 oz (160 g)
      Color tested: White
      100 SPF / UPF 50+
      MSRP: $35 US

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      This rash guard shirt is called SunSkinz by the manufacturer and is
      made out of a four way stretch, tightly woven fabric. They state that
      it is comfortable to wear, dries quickly and stands up well to
      chlorine and salt water with sun protection that does not wash off.
      With a SPF rating of 100 and UPF rating of 50+ it should provide a
      maximum amount of sun protection while wearing it.

      DEFINITIONS

      SPF is the ratio of time required to produce minimal erythema
      (redness) when a sunscreen product has been applied compared to the
      time required to produce the same amount of erythema without the
      sunscreen. This means, if skin reddening takes 20 minutes with a
      person who is using no protection, theoretically, the use of a
      sunscreen with an SPF of 15 would prevent reddening 15 times longer
      (about 5 hours).

      UPF: UPF defines the amount of Ultraviolet light (UVL) that
      penetrates a fabric. UPF is a ranking of fabrics according to how
      much UVL penetration occurs based on standardized criteria. For
      example, a UPF rating of 30 would indicate that 1/30 of the UVL
      hitting the fabric actually penetrates it. Therefore, fabric with
      tighter weaves and thicker fibers will have a higher UPF.

      Women's
      Pink Solid Body with Short Sleeves

      INITIAL IMPRESSION

      The manufacturer sent me a women's white rashguard shirt with a green
      flower on the chest. It is very attractive and nicer looking than
      most hiking shirts I wear. Since they didn't have a size chart on
      their website I gave them the measurements of 38 in (97 cm) chest size
      so that it would not be too form fitting and they sent me a women's
      XL. The material is 86% polyester and 14 % spandex. There is a
      "ClassicSkinz" label sewn on the lower left side that appears to be
      made from some sort of vinyl material and is a little bulky but
      attractive. The shirt has flatlock seams that lay flat against my
      skin. All of the seams look neatly sewn with just the exception of
      one area under the left arm that has some excess material sticking out
      (photo below). One of the removable tags that came on the shirt shows
      a demonstration of its quick drying abilities even stating that it
      will absorb sweat from the skin surface to the outer layer of the
      fabric within one second. The other tag has "frequently asked
      questions" about sun protection in relation to their clothing.

      Rashguard shirt laid out Label on shirt Only seam flaw
      I found

      INSTRUCTIONS

      The washing instructions say to hand wash in cold water with a mild
      detergent and hang dry out of the sun. This will be a little
      different for me as I'm used to putting everything in the washing
      machine.

      INITIAL FIT

      The sleeves are slightly snug (however I don't have thin arms) but
      other than that, the shirt fits me well. The sleeves come down 7 in
      (18 cm) from where my arm and shoulder joins. It feels very soft
      against my skin and is lightweight. The neck comes up like a low
      turtleneck but is very comfortable. The length is just right for
      either allowing the shirt to be tucked in or worn outside. When
      removing the shirt, it stretches well and comes off easily.

      Wearing
      Rash Guard Shirt

      TRYING IT OUT

      I have been wearing it around the house along with a few errands
      around town for a few days and it has been very comfortable.

      SUMMARY

      The quality of the shirt looks excellent, fits well and does not bind
      me in any way while wearing it around the house and out for a few
      errands.

      This concludes my Initial Report. The field report will follow at the
      end of August. Please check back then for further information.

      FIELD TESTING
      September 1, 2009

      FIELD CONDITIONS AND LOCATIONS

      Trip #1
      Location: Peter's Canyon, Orange County California
      Distance: 7 mi (11 km) day hike on trail (rolling terrain)
      Elevation: 500 ft (150 m)
      Weather: Cloudy to partly sunny skies, slight intermittent breeze, humid
      Temperature: 65 F to 70 F (18 C to 21 C)

      Trip #2
      Location: Mt. San Antonio in the San Gabriel Mts in Southern California
      Distance: 8 mi (13 km) day hike on trail (ascend then descend)
      Elevation: 6200 ft. to 10000 ft (1900 m to 3050 m)
      Weather: Windy conditions at 9000 ft (2750 m) and sunny clear skies
      Temperature: Mid 50's F to mid 60's F (13 C to 18 C)

      Trip #3
      Location: San Bernardino Mts in Southern California
      Distance: 3 day 2 night backpacking trip. Backpacking miles totaled
      11 mi (18 km) and day hiking miles totaled 8 mi (13 km) with 2.5 mi (4
      km) off trail on scree and loose rock.
      Elevation: 6000 ft to 11500 ft (1800 m to 3500 m)
      Weather: Partly cloudy skies with intermittent breezes and wind.
      Temperature: 50's F to 80 F (13 C to 27 C)

      Trip #4
      Mt. Charleston (Las Vegas area)
      Distance: 18 mi (29 km)
      Elevation: 7700 ft to 12000 ft (2350 m to 3650 m)
      Weather: Sunny and breezy
      Temperatures: 50's F to 70's F (13 C to 24 C)

      COMFORT
      I would give this shirt a 4.5 out of 5 rating on comfort. I have
      found consistently on all of the outings that the shirt is very
      comfortable. I have not had any binding or chafing issues wearing a
      daypack or backpack even on the trips that lasted all day. The shirt
      moved with me and although I initially reported the arms as snug,
      never even noticed them. The only time that the neck bothered me was
      during the Peter's Canyon hike in the humid conditions. I found
      myself wanting to unzip that area for extra air circulation. On the
      backpacking trip I was able to take it off and on with great ease in
      my solo tent due to the stretch factor of the material.

      WICKING
      I would give this shirt a 2.5 out of 5 rating on its wicking ability.
      This is where the shirt does not get the highest marks. The worst
      conditions were at the Peter's Canyon location with the rolling
      terrain and humid weather. The shirt became soaked in all areas
      except the tops of my arms and sternum area. Those areas were damp.
      The route was rolling terrain so there was never enough descent at one
      time to give it a chance to dry. From the time I ended the hike until
      it was dry was three hours. The shirt did better at the higher
      elevations as the air is drier. It would become sweat soaked on the
      uphill hiking but when there was breezier conditions, it would start
      to dry but never completely. I used a fleece pullover over the shirt
      at higher elevations when it would get windy but in all fairness, I
      would do that no matter what shirt I was wearing. On the backpacking
      trip the shirt was always dry by the time I got to camp or shortly
      after. I wore it all three days and I never had to hang it out to
      dry. The shirt's wicking abilities were never an issue on the long
      day hike to Mt. Charleston. It did become damp when hiking uphill but
      never noticed the dampness becoming an issue. I did use a light
      pullover on windy ridges but, once again, would have used one no
      matter what shirt I was wearing. The only comment that I can make
      regarding the manufacturer's claim that the shirt wicks sweat away
      from the skin in one second is, although that may be true, it does not
      evaporate from the shirt material quickly making it less than
      efficient. My skin under the shirt was also damp to wet when the
      shirt had those same qualities.

      TEMPERATURE CONTROL
      I would give the shirt a 4 out of 5 rating for temperature control.
      The shirt surprised me given the amount of dampness it can retain.
      Other than the windier conditions at high altitude requiring an
      additional fleece, at no time did I ever feel chilled or too hot
      wearing the shirt. It did feel a little stifling on the Peter's
      Canyon hike with the higher humidity but that is the only negative I
      can report in this category. I think the denser material that the
      manufacturer uses helps keep out some of the wind chill factor.

      DURABILITY
      I have worn the shirt a total of 16 days so far and the durability
      issues I have found so far are some light wear in the areas that the
      pack comes into contact with the shirt and two snags (unknown cause,
      possibly bushwhacking). The snags are small and are not resulting in
      any runs. and the light wear is surface only. Photo below shows the
      slight wear at the end of the pencil point.

      Light wear at pack
      contact areas

      AESTHETICS

      The washing instructions say to hand wash and hang to dry. I have
      found that no matter how much I scrub the shirt in the sink, not all
      of the dirt, that tends to accumulate in the abdomen area from dusty
      trails, will come clean. I have resorted to using the washing machine
      to wash only and then hang dry. The washing machine does a little
      better but the white material still shows some dirt. The shirt is
      still holding its shape and fits the way it did when I first put it
      on. I have not notice any severe odor after a hard day out on the
      trail. It did start to smell a little the morning of the day 3 on the
      backpacking trip but it was not too bad. I did not notice anyone
      avoiding me that morning but then again, they probably smelled as bad
      as me. The flatlock seams are starting to yellow slightly but not very
      noticeably.

      SUN PROTECTION

      All that I can report here is that my skin does not appear to have any
      sunburn or redness under the areas that the shirt covers.

      With my backpack on
      Peak photo on backpacking trip's day hike

      FIELD TEST LIKES

      Attractive look
      Stretches well
      Good temperature control
      Soft feel
      Comfortable

      FIELD TEST DISLIKES

      Vinyl label can chafe under a hipbelt
      Does not dry quickly

      This concludes my field report. I will continue to wear the shirt on
      my day hikes and backpacking trips through October and will report
      back in November as to how the shirt is holding up.

    • a_henrichs
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2009
        Hi Cheryl,

        Good report. As a refresher (or if you haven't been informed of the SOP), EDIT=must fix, Edit= think about fixing, and Comment=just that. As an FYI, only post the newest section when posting a report for edit (only the FR for the FR due date). This just makes it a lot easier for editors by minimizing extra information.

        When these are corrected, feel free to upload your file. Also, pleas be sure to delete your test html file. Thanks, and I hope the shirt continues to serve you well through the LTR phase!

        Andy

        > TEST SERIES BY CHERYL MCMURRAY
        >
        > INITIAL REPORT
        > June, 22 2009
        EDIT: Please add a date for the FR at the top of the report, this is required by the latest BGT bylaws.

        > It did become damp when hiking uphill but never noticed...
        Edit: I may add "I" after "but."

        > I have found that no matter how much I scrub the shirt in the sink, not all of the dirt, that tends to accumulate in the abdomen area from dusty trails, will come clean.
        Edit: Think about removing both of the commas

        > FIELD TEST DISLIKES
        EDIT: The likes section is bold on my computer, while the dislikes is normal weight. I would probably either change the likes section to a normal weight to preserve consistency throughout the report or add a header such as "Summary" in bold above the likes/dislikes section.