Applicatiion to test - Osprey Atmos 35 Pack - Sam Stamey

  • samstamey
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2009
      Please accept my application to test the Osprey Atmos 35 Pack. I have read the
      BackpackGearTest bylaws version 0609, and I will follow all requirements.
      Tester Bio
      Name: Sam Stamey
      Age: 42
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 0" (1.8 Meters)
      Weight: 170 Pounds (77 Kilograms)
      Email address: samstamey@...
      City, State, Country: Santa Rosa, California, U.S.
      Date: August 23, 2009

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking two years ago with my wife and two
      children (ages 8 and 10 at the time). We have been car camping for 20+ years.

      Most of our backpacking has been three season camping in the Sierras, 6000
      -12,000 ft (1800 m - 3658 m) and on the Northern California Coast. We mostly do
      a combination of car camping and backpacking.
      I usually carry most of the weight and my internal frame pack weighs between
      40-50 lb (18-22 kg).

      My upcoming overnight trips consist of:

      Weekend backpack trip – Point Reyes, CA. which sits just above sea level.
      Daytime temperatures range from 40 – 80 F (4.44 - 27 C).

      September –5 day pack trip – Eastern Sierra's at altitudes of 6000
      -12,000 ft (1800 m - 3658 m) with temperature ranges from 40 – 80 F (4.44 - 27
      C).
      I hope to get a few more weekend and overnight trips in this fall.
      I day hike almost every weekend at various local Northern California State parks
      and beaches. Elevation is close to sea level and daytime temperatures range from
      40 – 80 F (4.44 – 27 C).
      This is an exciting test. I have not tested a backpack before and I have often tried on Osprey packs in the store but have never owned one.
      There are so many things that I want to test on this pack:
      The AirSpeed suspension – It felt great in the store, but how about all day? Does it carry the pack well and keep my back cooler than a conventional pack? I have heard about this AirSpeed for some time.
      The hydration bladder inside the Airspeed back panel cavity? Brilliant!
      3 different sizes – It looks like the large would fit my 21 inch back. Does it fit well or does it just make do?
      Stow and go – Another great idea. I really want to test this and see if it is easy and works as well as they say. I often have my dog on a leash or I need to help one of my children over something or get into their packs and have nowhere to stash my poles. I cannot tell you how many times I had to go back down the trail to retrieve my poles after leaning them against a tree. Sometime I do not want my poles while I am hiking but I hate to stop and spend 10 minutes strapping my poles on. I hope the stow and go works.
      2300 cubic inches for the large is a great size for long day hikes. Could I use this pack for overnight? Is there enough room? Less than 3 pounds is great.
      Other than the great designs on this pack I will be looking at how well it fits overall? Wow does it hold up to the abuse of the trail or the city? Getting dropped and scrapped against all kinds of sharp objects? How well designed are the grab items such as pockets and straps? How easy is it to use and adjust? How well does it hold my hydration bladder (this is a bigger deal on packs than I once thought.)? How well do the zippers work and how easy is it to pack and unpack?
      It would be my privilege to test this backpack and find out if it stands up and performs like it is advertised.
      Currently selected to test the Navigator 2 Watch.

      Previously Written Reports can be found at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/samstamey

      Thank you, Osprey and BackPackGearTest.org, for the consideration to test this product.
      Sam Stamey