LTR Vasque Breeze LT GTX Boots Jenn

  • jennbgt
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2009
      Here is my LTR for the Vasque Boots. Thank you in advance for any edits.

      Jenn

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20Vasque%20Jenn/#LTR

      Long Term Report
      September 1, 2009

      Testing Locations

      During the past two months the Vasque Breeze LT GTX boots were worn while backpacking and during day-hikes.

      Wasatch-Cache Mountain National Forest, Utah: I wore the boots here on two day-hikes that turned into night hikes. There were downpours of heavy rain in the area and the boots became wet. The hikes ranged from 4 to 6 mi (6 to 10 km) in length. The temperatures ranged from the upper 50 F (10 C) range to the upper 60 F (16 C) range. The elevation range was from 8,200 ft (2,499 m) to 10,220 ft (3,115 m).

      San Jacinto State Park, California: This was originally a backpacking trip that turned into a day hike, due to me having an injured toe. The high temperature was 78 F (26 C) and sunny skies. The high elevation was 9,400 ft (2,865 m). The length of this trip was 6 mi (10 km).

      Yosemite National Park, California: Three days backpacking in Yosemite National Park. The temperatures ranged from 43 to 80 F (6 to 27 C) mostly sunny skies except for a thunder, rain, and graupel storm our first afternoon. The trails were mostly dirt, rock, and wet rock down the Mist Trail. The trip was approximately 20 mi (32 km). The starting elevation was 8,600 ft (2,621 m).

      Mammoth Lakes Area, California: The boots were worn at Mammoth Lakes, exploring a ghost town, and on day hikes around Mono Lake. The elevation at the ghost town was 8,375 ft (2,553 m) and the elevation at Mono Lake was 6,382 ft (1,945 m). The high temperature was 84 F (29 C) with sunny skies and I hiked approximately 3 mi (5 km) on this trip.

      Performance in the Field

      Over the course of the course of the field reporting phase the Vasque Breeze LT GTX boots were worn on one backpacking trip and on four day-hikes. I have found the boots to be very comfortable for day-hikes. They are lightweight, breathe, and keep my feet dry. The Gore-Tex lining is holding up well, even in the high flex/wear areas. During the long term reporting the boots have seen the most water of the testing period and they are still keeping my feet dry.

      I am not a huge fan of these boots for backpacking since they do not offer as much sole support as my feet are used to for backpacking. Usually I wear a stiffer boot with a thicker sole when carry an overnight backpack or completing long day-hikes. The soles of these boots are thin like an approach shoe. I can basically feel every rock and sharp edge that I am stepping on. When hiking down the Mist Trail in Yosemite with a 25 lb (11 kg) backpack there were rock steps and boulders. It got to the point that every step was painful on the balls of my feet.

      The boots are fitting me well with heavy and mid-weight, wool or wool blend socks. I have used various lacing techniques to lock my heels in place. I encountered a blister on my fourth toe during my Yosemite backpacking trip. This is not a spot that I have ever encountered a blister and this is the only blister I had during the long term reporting phase. The blister could have been from many factors and I would not particularly relate it to the fit of the boots. Earlier in the testing period I received blisters and hot spots while breaking in the boots, however these were isolated to the heel area.

      The Vasque Breeze LT GTX boots have excellent traction. In Yosemite I had to hike down wet granite rock and I did not slip from lack of traction. Even down steep trail sections and in river/stream crossings I felt confident with my footing.

      The boots have good breathability and I believe this is because of the abundance of mesh on the uppers. My feet are not abnormally sweaty after a long day of hiking.

      The boots have been easily cleaned by wiping them with a damp cloth. The insides of the boots do not stink even after hiking for several hours. There are no frays or tears in the laces or the lacing loops.

      Summary

      I will continue to use these boots for day-hikes and short single night backpacking trip. For longer trips I will use a heavier boot with a thicker sole. These boots are lightweight, very waterproof, great traction, and are breathable.

      Things That Rock:

      Lightweight
      Waterproof
      Breathable
      Good traction
      Things That Are So-So:

      A longer break-in time than what I am used to
      Super long laces
      Thin, non-supportive footbed
      Remarks

      This concludes my long term reporting on the Vasque Breeze LT GTX boots. Thank you Vasque and backpackgeartest.org for providing me with the opportunity to test this product.
    • zakalwe32
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2009
        > EDIT: LTR Vasque Breeze LT GTX Boots Jenn

        Hi Jenn, sorry about the delay - thanks for your reminder email. I was certain I had taken care of it already. Here goes:

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "jennbgt" <jennksnowy@...> wrote:
        <snip>
        Three days backpacking in Yosemite National Park.

        Comment: Show-off. I'm envious. ;-)

        <snip>
        > Performance in the Field
        >
        > Over the course of the course of the field reporting phase

        EDIT: one of the "the course of"s above is superfluous.

        <snip>
        > I am not a huge fan of these boots for backpacking since they do not offer as much sole support as my feet are used to for backpacking. Usually I wear a stiffer boot with a thicker sole when carry an

        EDIT: ... "when *I* carry" ...

        overnight backpack or completing long day-hikes. The soles of these boots are thin like an approach shoe. I can basically feel every rock and sharp edge that I am stepping on. When hiking down the Mist Trail in Yosemite with a 25 lb (11 kg) backpack there were rock steps and boulders. It got to the point that every step was painful on the balls of my feet.
        <snip>
        > Summary
        >
        > I will continue to use these boots for day-hikes and short single night backpacking trip.

        EDIT: ... backpacking trip*s*.

        For longer trips I will use a heavier boot with a thicker sole. These boots are lightweight, very waterproof, great traction,

        EDIT: ..., *have* great traction, ...

        and are breathable.
        <snip>

        Please take care of the above and upload at your earliest convenience. Please also remember to delete the test folder item.
        Regards,

        André
        Breeze Editor