IR-Exxel Youth Mummy Sleeping Bag-revised-Suzi Gibson

  • suzi_q_jones
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3 9:59 AM
      Hi Jenn! Here's my revised IR for the Exxel Youth sleeping bag. They sent a replacement bag to test since the first bag had some defective seams and Shane advised me to do a new IR for the new bag . Since I've never had this type of experience before, I hope I've approached it correctly with the report.
      Thanks:)
      Suzi

      Tiny:
      http://tinyurl.com/krjqju

      Long:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR-Exxel%20Youth%20Sleeping%20Bag-revised-Suzi%20Gibson/

      IR- Exxel Youth mummy sleeping bag
      Test Series by Suzi Gibson
      Initial Report – 2 August 2009

      Tester Information:
      Name: Suzi Gibson
      Age: 31
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'6" (1.7 m)
      Weight: 150 lb (68 kg)
      Email address: suzi_q_jones at yahoo dot com
      City, State, Country: Anderson, South Carolina, USA

      Actual Test Subject:
      Name: Ella
      Age: 2
      Gender: Female
      Height: ~34 in (86 cm)
      Weight: ~27 lb (12 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I've gone on many family camping trips to various places in
      the eastern US since I was a child. Over the past several years, I've done several
      backpacking trips in the Southeastern US. With the arrival of my daughter in 2007, my
      husband and I have refocused on car camping and day hikes in the Southeastern and Mid-
      Atlantic US. She loves riding in our child carrier and assists in getting our base camp set
      up, or at least the best a 2 year old can do. As she gets older, we plan on introducing her
      to the joys of backpacking.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Exxel Outdoors
      Colors Available: Camo Pink/ Camo Blue
      Color Tested: Camo Pink
      Listed weight: N/A
      Weight as Delivered: 2 lb 10 oz (1.2 kg) for the bag; 5 oz (142 g) for the stuff sack; 2 lb 15 oz (1.6 kg) total
      Listed Dimensions: 26 in (66 cm) x 66 in (167 cm) x 18 in (47 cm)
      Actual Dimensions: 27 in (69 cm) x 67 in (170 cm) x 16 in (41 cm)
      Compressed Dimensions: 12 in (31 cm) x 9.5 in (24 cm)
      MSRP: $29.99 (U.S.)

      Product Description & Initial Impressions:

      I received the Exxel Youth sleeping bag (hereafter called the bag) in June 2009. The
      initial bag I received had a couple defective seams and I was sent a replacement bag for
      testing purposes. The bag is a mummy style, youth sized, sleeping bag rated down to 20 F
      (-6.7 C). The shell and liner are both a soft, silky polyester material. It has 2 lb (0.9 kg) of
      Polyester Microtekk Z1 fill, which is evenly distributed throughout the bag. The baffles
      are approximately 10.5 in (27 cm) wide on both the top and bottom of the bag and are
      stitched with a long backstitch (0.25 in/ 6.4 mm). There is a single zipper with two zipper
      pulls on the right side of the bag that runs 49 in (124 cm) from the hood terminating 12 in
      (30 cm) from the end of the bag. There are two hook and loop closures where the zipper
      ends on the hood. It has both a draft collar near the hood and a draft tube, which runs the
      length of the zipper. Both the draft collar and the hood have drawstrings. There are three
      loops on the footbox for drying out the bag.

      I received the Camouflage Pink Youth sleeping bag for my daughter to put through its
      paces over the summer and fall. It arrived in its compression sack (also pink with a black
      top and handle and four compression straps.). The bag re-lofted just as much as indicated
      in the picture supplied by the publicists.

      The seams are in good shape. The zippers work ok so far but I will keep an eye on them
      as I've already snagged them a couple of times while inspecting the bag.

      The pink color and camouflage pattern is cute, although I'm not much of a pink fan, my
      daughter loves it. The shell has a bit of a soft and thin feel to it, which makes me wonder
      how well it'll hold up over the next couple of months. The lining is soft and silky feeling
      but again is thin enough to see the fill behind it. The bag looks a little long for her;
      however, she no longer likes how confined her toddler sleeping bag has become.

      The instructions indicate that the bag can be laundered in a commercial sized washing
      machine on a gently, non-agitating cycle. Given this, I will launder it prior to field-testing
      so that any chemical residues and odors will be eliminated prior to my toddler being in
      long-term contact with the bag.

      color and pattern is cute. The stuff sack is large enough where I don't feel that I'll have
      any problems getting the bag back into it. The four compression straps should also help
      with getting the bag down to a very small size. I will be watching the seams and crooked
      stitching as well as zipper snaps.

      Likes:
      • Color scheme
      • Low weight
      • Compressibility

      Dislikes/Concerns:
      • Nothing at this time

      This concludes my Initial Report for the Exxel Youth mummy sleeping bag. The field
      report will be appended to this report in approximately two months (September 2009).
      Please check back then for more information. Thanks again to Exxel and
      BackPackGearTest.org for granting me the opportunity to test the Exxel Youth mummy
      sleeping bag.