POST:FR- White Sierra Trabagon Rain Jacket - askLarry

  • larry
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2009
      Hi Bob-

      A full 2 days early, I am submitting my FR for the Trabagon!

      Html is here: http://tinyurl.com/mgev7j

      Cheers

      -larry

      --------------------------------

      FIELD REPORT
      August 2, 2009

      FIELD CONDITIONS

      During the Field Report, I have worn the Trabagon mostly for canoeing activities.

      On June 10-11, I went for an overnight canoe trip to Dillon Lake State Park, near Zanesville, OH. The temperature was warm but it rained on and off while we were on the water, and rained extensively afterwards while we were setting up camp and cooking/eating.

      I also took the Trabagon with me on a 10-day backcountry canoe trip to the Quetico Provincial Park (Ontario, Canada) and Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (Minnesota, USA). The temperature on the trip was between 60 and 65 F (15.5 to 18 C) most of the time during the day, which included about 4 full days of rain, and another 3 days when it rained on and off during the day (and 3 days of partly cloudy/sunny weather). The total trip covered 101 miles (163 km), including 34 portages covering 7.8 mi (12.6 km).

      FIELD EXPERIENCE

      The overnight trip was a gear shakedown for the longer trip, and I was glad that it rained to I could test out the Trabagon for its rain-worthiness. I did a short test portage carrying a 55 lb (25 kg) pack on top of the rain jacket. I did not notice any problems, and the jacket kept me dry, including doing a nice job keeping the rain out of my eyes. I wore the Trabagon part of the time when I was on the water paddling. Again, I stayed nice and dry under the jacket. Although I wore it over a short-sleeved shirt, I did not feel any skin irritation or excess sweating from the jacket. As shown in the photo below, the rain beads up nicely on the outside of the jacket, leaving me comfy on the inside.

      With this positive experience under my belt, I took the Trabagon as my rain jacket to the backcountry. We had a nice day and half at the beginning of the trip, followed by 4.5 days of fairly steady rain. During this time, I wore the Trabagon pretty much non-stop as my outer layer on top of a long-sleeved shirt. During the first few days of rain, I wore my personal floatation device (PFD) outside of the jacket; however, I later realized that the PFD would provide some insulation, so I changed to wearing under the rain jacket.

      For the first 2-3 days of rain, I carried a gear pack (about 90 lbs)/43 kg) for the portages. In order to save time, this was always carried on top of the rain jacket. For the rest of the trip, I carried a canoe (75 lb/34 kg Alumacraft canoe) for the portages.

      Because of all the rain, I feel that I learned a lot about the Trabagon. First, it did an excellent job of keeping me dry. I never felt any rain getting into the jacket, and the seams were watertight. When the rain was heavy, I zipped up the zipper all the way over my chin, and this prevented rain from running down the front. The hood was also watertight, and I was able to cinch down the cord to prevent the hood from blowing off my head.

      Second, the jacket dried quickly. Unless it was actively raining, the jacket dried quickly to the point where the only wet part of the jacket was the ends of the sleeves, caused by proximity to the water when I was paddling. If it had stopped raining when I was off the water, the jacket typically dried within 30 minutes if I hung it out. The only exception was the bottoms of the pockets, which tended to stay wet longer. If I inverted them, they also dried quickly. The photo below shows me drying out the Trabagon on the trail, with the help of a handy pine tree.

      Third, the Trabagon did a good job as a warmth layer. It kept the wind out and kept my body heat in. This was particularly important as the weather was quite cool for most of the trip, and I was concerned about hypothermia. I had one brief episode of hypothermia which occurred right before a portage. After lugging the canoe up and down to the next lake, I was fine.

      WEAR AND TEAR

      Despite wearing the Trabagon full time for nearly 7 days in total, it seems to have tolerated the heavy usage without much trouble. There are no obvious marks or tears in the fabric. The hook-and-loop closures still hold fast at the wrists. As I noted in my Initial report, the zipper still can be a little tricky to start, although I have gotten much better at this. The photo below shows me struggling to close the zipper at the Dillon Lake trip. After returning from the Minnesota trip, I washed the Trabagon with no problems noted.

      FIELD IMPRESSIONS

      To date, the White Sierra Trabagon rain jacket has done an awesome job under difficult conditions. It kept me warm and dry despite the weather. Without the Trabagon, my backcountry canoe trip would have been a real disaster!

      This concludes my Field Report on the White Sierra Trabagon Rain Jacket. Please check in back in about 2 months for my final report on this item.
    • Bob Sanders
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2009
        Hi Larrry,

        Looks like I only found a couple of edits. HTML looks fine.

        Make changes and upload when ready. See you in 2 months.

        Bob

        August 3, 2009

        Monitor edits of Larry Larry Kirschner's White Sierra Trabagon Rain
        Jacket
        Field Report

        EDITS = must do
        Edit = think about it, but do something
        Comment = think about it

        > During the first few days of rain, I wore my personal floatation
        > device (PFD) outside of the jacket; however, I later realized that
        > the PFD would provide some insulation, so I changed to wearing under
        > the rain jacket.

        EDIT: Add the word "it" or "PDF" . , so I changed to wearing "it"
        under the jacket.

        > For the first 2-3 days of rain, I carried a gear pack (about 90 lbs)/
        > 43 kg) for the portages.

        EDIT: Remove the ")" inside the parentheses. Should read " I carried a
        gear pack (about 90 lbs/43 kg) for the portages.

        > Unless it was actively raining, the jacket dried quickly to the
        > point where the only wet part of the jacket was the ends of the
        > sleeves, caused by proximity to the water when I was paddling.

        EDIT: Change "was" to "were". Should read: Unless it was actively
        raining, the jacket dried quickly to the point where the only wet part
        of the jacket "were" the ends of the sleeves, caused by proximity to
        the water when I was paddling.
      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2009
          If not or if so, how about the new Thorlos Experia Multi Sport Thin Cushion
          Socks?
          Three lucky testers will get their hands on these beauties thanks to Thorlo
          and Backpackgeartest.org.

          http://www.thorlo.com/socks/experia-socks/micro+mini-crew/686.php

          Now for the nitty gritty details;

          Do not forget the new shorter application requirements
          Newbie Limit DOES NOT Apply
          US and International Shipping Included

          Thomas Vickers is the mod

          This call will close on Monday, August 10th at 9 pm central time.

          Please include the words "Thorlo" and "Experia" in your subject line.

          Happy applicating,

          Tvickers
        • Sophie
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2009
            Please accept my application to test the Thorlo Experia socks, in a women's size 9.5-11.5 and royal blue if there is a choice of colors.

            DISCLAIMER
            My test agreement was mailed July 2008. I agree to comply with all of the test requirements, including Chapter 5, found in the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609.

            BIO
            Name: Sophie Pearson
            Age: 27
            Gender: Female
            Height: 5' 8" (1.71 m)
            Weight: 179 lb (81 kg)
            Shoe Size: Women's 10 wide
            Email address: sophiep3 at gmail dot com
            Location: Tampa, Florida USA

            BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
            I first started backpacking as a teenager in England. I did a 28-day trip in the Arctic, but most of my backpacking experience has been weekend to 10-day trips, in a range of terrains and climates. I am a volcanologist so I also do day hikes carrying loaded packs over intense terrain. Nowadays I am generally in sub-tropical climates. I am heading increasingly towards ultralight packing, and unless I am sharing I use a hammock. I try to pack under 20 lb (9 kg) for long weekend trips but have carried over 50 lb (23 kg).

            TEST PLAN
            Locations - California, England, Italy, Oregon, Florida, possibly North Carolina.
            In forests, woods and unshaded trails, on volcanoes and mountains, on bicycles, tennis courts and treadmills.
            Temperatures 40-95 F (4-35 C) with likely rain.
            Elevation 0-10000 ft (0-3000 m).
            At least 10 nights of backpacking, most of them one- or two-nighters. At least 7 day trips.

            Looking at - fit, padding (especially going downhill or running), seams, blister prevention, elastic around ankle, transition between thick and thin material, cooling ability, moisture wicking, weight, durability with washing, vegetation and/or shoes rubbing, comfort in hiking shoes, hiking boots and sneakers, comparison with other thin socks, comparison with thick Thorlos that were shelved for being too hot and thick in Florida.

            PREVIOUS TESTS
            10 test reports and 6 ORs here
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/sophp333

            CURRENTLY TESTING
            Royal Robbins Zip N Go Pant (LTR 11 Aug)
            Essential Gear K2 Focus headlamp (LTR 11 Aug)
            Warbonnet Outdoors Blackbird Hammock (LTR 13 Oct)
            Suisse Sport Sleeping Bag (FR 29 Sept)
            Ultimate Survival WetFire Stove (awaiting shipment)

            MONITORING
            Cedar Tree The Packa (FR 11 Aug)

            APPS OUT
            Gregory Navarino pack