FR- MSR Quick 1- Ralph Ditton

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
      Hello Kathryn,

      Here is my FR on the above.

      A copy in the test folder can be accessed through:

      http://tinyurl.com/nd4hk8

      I look forward to your edits.

      Best

      Ralph

      FIELD REPORT

      DATE: 1st August, 2009

      Murphy's Law came to the fore when I had my first use of the MSR Quick 1.

      Our long Indian Summer weather conditions (even though it is winter)

      broke with a vengeance and the rain decided to play catch up with the

      annual average which was streets ahead of actual rain fallen to date by

      200 mm (7.8 in).

      My camping location was Potters Gorge which is on the banks of

      Wellington Dam in the South West of the state. Elevation is 100 m (328

      ft) and the average overnight temperature was 8 C (46 F).

      From when I pitched my tent at lunchtime before our walk (it was just

      spitting) and got up in the morning at 6.30 am, the area had 56 mm (2.2

      in) of rain with 25 mm (1 in) falling whilst in bed. Wind was from the

      WNW averaging 10 knots with frequent gust during the evening/night

      between 18 and 21 knots. (Source: Bureau of Meteorology).

      The above sets the scene for the conditions in which I used the cookware

      at the evening meal.

      A colleague and I jerry rigged a tarp over a park table and seats to dry

      off and use as our cooking/meal area in the rain.

      tarp over table

      I used the pot to boil jacket baby potatoes and the slightly thawed

      frozen peas to have with the veal schnitzel that I cooked on another stove.

      When the potatoes and peas were ready, I went out into the rain and

      drained the boiling water off through the strainer holes on the lid. The

      lid was attached to the pot. The strainer holes worked very well and did

      not get clogged. All the water that I had left after removing the food

      was about a teaspoon.

      After the group had eaten their respective meals under the tarp and the

      rain coming down heavily, I made up two pots of mulled wine using the

      Quick 1. As the pot is limited in volume, I did one brew up on my gas

      stove, dished it out and then cooked up another batch. The amount of

      wine I used each time was 750 ml (25 fl oz) which is one bottle. Then I

      added sliced orange and lemon, brandy and spices.

      All agreed that it was a good drop and they backed it up by having thirds.

      As my drinking vessel I used the insulated mug without the lid. It kept

      the mulled wine hot as I sipped it in the cool and wet conditions.

      Firstly, I tried drinking from the long side but I felt uncomfortable

      doing this as I was anticipating the mulled wine to spill past the

      corners of my mouth as I tilted the cup against my lips. It didn't, but

      irrational feelings overrode the reality, so I drank from one of the

      well rounded corners. The same applied in the morning with my cup of tea.

      In the morning I used the pot only to boil water for my cup of tea under

      the tarp. It was still raining.

      My next outing was back to my old stamping ground of Prickly Bark. It is

      located at S 31° 42.800' E 115° 56.981 on the Coastal Plain Walk Trail

      and sits at an elevation of 83 m (272 ft) as measured by my Garmin Geko

      301 GPS.

      I spent two nights at this location.

      The first night the weather was fine with the wind blowing at an average

      of 7 knots from ENE and swinging around to NNE. Relative Humidity

      averaged 70% and the overnight temperature was 11 C (52 F).

      The Quick 1 was used for two breakfasts, one lunch and two evening meal

      times. Most of the time I used it to boil water for cups of tea and hot

      water for washing up purposes.

      Where I deviated from the norm was in the evenings when I used the pot

      to boil up vegetables and make more batches of mulled wine. The strainer

      holes worked perfectly each time.

      cooking vegetables

      By the end of four pots of mulled wine over two evenings, the pot showed

      no signs of any staining inside the pot from the wine being warmed up on

      the gas stove.

      making mulled wine

      The last evening of my camping trip, I had the pleasure of rain again so

      the atmosphere of darkness, wind and rain made a lovely ambience to sip

      on mulled wine from the insulated mug. Yes, I added a slice of orange

      for effect.

      wine in insulated mug

      To date I have been very happy with the mug and pot.

      They both cleaned up extremely well in hot water that I heated up on the

      stove and I did not experience any sticking of food products on the

      sides or bottom of either vessel.

      There has been no change to my "Likes" and "Dislikes".

      See my Long Term Report in two months.

    • Dark Lazarus
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009
        Hi Ralph,

        Just one comment. Do what you want with it. Otherwise, report, pics
        and html look good. The mulled wine sounded very nice after reading
        about all the rain. At least you didn't let the rain stop you.

        kathryn

        --
        My next outing was back to my old stamping ground of Prickly Bark. It
        is located at S 31° 42.800' E 115° 56.981 on the Coastal Plain Walk
        Trail and sits at an elevation of 83 m (272 ft) as measured by my
        Garmin Geko 301 GPS.
        Comment: I get the feeling you are extremely detail oriented, the
        coordinates are nice, but I don't think people need to know what gps
        you used to test your pot. Your call but it sounds a little like a
        sales pitch.
      • Ralph Ditton
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009
          Hello Kathryn,

          All done.

          It was a god old cut and paste on the GPS at that location from another
          report.

          Yes I can see your angle re sales pitch. I have deleted the brand of GPS. I
          was not plugging the brand but it now looks like it. Thanks for pointing
          that out.

          Uploaded and test folder copy deleted.

          Thanks.