Application: Gregory Wasatch/Navarino Pack - Pat McNeilly

  • Pat McNeilly
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31 3:39 PM
      Application: Gregory Wasatch/Navarino Pack - Pat McNeilly

      Please accept my application to test the Gregory Wasatch Pack.

      I have read the Survival Guide v0609, including Chapter 5, and if selected for this test, will fully comply with all of the requirements described within. I have also filed my Test Agreement.

      Name: Pat McNeilly
      Age: 46
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 8" (1.7 m)
      Weight: 155 lb (70 kg)
      Email address: mcne4752@...
      City, State, Country: Gaithersburg, MD, U.S.A.

      Backpacking Background:
      I have been hiking for over 20 years but backpacking for only the last three years. Most of my backpacking is done as overnight trips and occasional weekend and weeklong trips. My typical packweight this season has been approximately 15 to 18 lb (7 to 9 kg) before food or water and I have been trying to go to lighter and lighter weights. I would probably rate myself as a lightweight backpacker but slowly creeping closer to ultralight. Most of my backpacking is the three season variety in the mountains of Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and West Virginia although I do camp and hike during the winter.

      Test Plan:
      I plan to test this item primarily on day trips in Maryland, Virginia or Southern Pennsylvania. The elevation on these trips will range from sea level to approximately 3500 ft (0 - 1067 m). The temperatures I expect to encounter on these trips should range from 35 F to 85 F (2 C to 30 C). These areas get varied amounts of rainfall but in the summer we can expect everything from light rain to heavy thunderstorms. I expect that this pack could get some use on trail runs in colder weather.

      I will be looking to evaluate the overall fit and comfort, how much gear the pack will hold, the ease of access to the pockets, and durability. The manufacturer says this item fits close to the back for better movement and I will assess that claim. I will also want to see if the pack is compatable with hydration bladders.

      BackpackGearTest Activity:
      My current testing load includes:

      Appy Trails Mark III Tent (LTR due 8/25/09)
      Survival Straps Survival Bracelets (LTR due 10/8/09)
      Keen Obsidian Shoes (FR due 9/29/09)

      My reports may be found at the following location:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/manfire

      BackpackGearTest Applications:

      I have no other applications pending at this time.

      I sincerely appreciate your consideration of this application.