[FR] Osprey Atmos 65 - Greg M

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 28, 2009
      Hey Mark,

      I feel like I struggled with this one quite a bit. I tried to voice my concerns over the fit but didn't want to come off as overly critical. I welcome any comments or suggestions that you might have. Thanks in advance for the edits!

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20Osprey%20Atmos%20-%20GM/
      -- OR --
      http://tinyurl.com/naegyl

      Greg M

      ________________________

      OSPREY ATMOS 65 BACKPACK
      TEST SERIES BY GREG MCDONALD
      FR
      July 28, 2009

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      Testing Conditions and Locations

      The first two months of my testing were a little different from my usual stomping grounds in Florida. My summer travels brought me up into Massachusetts and Maine which provided me a bit of relief from the oppressive Florida heat and a new testing opportunity for the Atmos. The Atmos hauled my gear on two-night trip in Southern Maine around Folly Pond in addition to a short overnighter on the Florida Trail.

      Elevations have ranged between sea level and 285 ft (0 m - 87 m), temperatures in Maine ranged from 52 F during the night up to around 75 F during the day (11 C - 24 C) with temperatures in Florida starting at 75 F and rose to nearly 95 F (24 C - 35 C), and I encountered precipitation on two of the occasions.

      Field Observations and Performance

      At this point I have mixed feelings about the Atmos that are pulling me in different directions when it comes to forming an opinion on the pack. On one hand, I really like the features and most of the design elements that the Atmos offers. On the other hand, there are one or two design issues that are effecting the fit and physical comfort of the pack.

      As I mentioned in my Initial Report, I immediately noticed a precarious sizing issue with the large size. The issue that I had originally was resolved by moving down in pack size. My problem at this point must revolve around my torso length and specific proportions and measurements. I feel like the medium is a little bit short for my torso length while the large was considerably too large. It's almost as if I'm stuck in a no-man's land of sorts regarding the sizing. What I know from the exchange is that, for me, the medium is a better fit in terms of torso length than the Large but it is still not entirely perfect.

      The other issue that arose after I swapped to a medium is the length of the shoulder straps and the hip belt. I don't have any of the straps maxed out, but I'm pretty close on the shoulders and hips. Normally having a medium torso but needing a large harness size (for the shoulders and hips) isn't a problem with Osprey, unfortunately the Atmos is one of the models with a fixed harness that cannot be swapped out. The pack fits fine with the medium harness, but I'd certainly prefer it if it were the larger size to give me some additional adjustment room.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Pull Loopo">>Sizing issues aside, I'm reasonably pleased with the rest of what the Atmos has to offer. Osprey certainly didn't skimp on the features on the Atmos. There are quite a few little details that have been useful for me. One of the smaller details, but one that I really like, are the large hoop zipper pulls on the vertical pockets and the sleeping bag compartment. The Stow-on-the-Go trekking pole attachment has also been nice handy for the times I need to get my poles stored quickly so I can be hands free but then be able to get them back in-hand without having to stop and take my pack off. I have also been using the external tool loop to strap on a small camp stool.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Problem Spot">>The suspension and I, just like the sizing, have a bit of a love-hate relationship. When I've had my pack weight under 30 lb (13.6 kg), even for long hours and high miles, I've really liked it. At these lighter weights the AirSpeed suspension with the curved frame and mesh backpanel have really been a blessing in warmer weather. Ventilation across my back has been very good overall. Additionally, the waffle pattern hip belt and shoulder straps seem to me to have a positive experience in terms of ventilation and moving fresh air across these normally restricted areas.

      Problems with the suspension for me do not start to arise until I creep up above 35 lb (15.9 kg) or so. At this point I start to feel additional stress in my shoulders combined with awkward pressure on my hips. In my opinion, the issue for me here is the lack of a lumbar pad in the design. At certain angles and under certain conditions part of the suspension starts to push directly on my hips which can be very uncomfortable. The photo to the left is the problem "area" of the suspension that starts riding on me. I suppose that getting up over 35 lb (15.9 kg) is really climbing away from the purpose of an "lightweight" suspension, but it's still worth mentioning.

      Regardless of the weight I've been hauling, one thing I haven't had any issues with is being off-balance. I have had no problems adjusting to the shift in my center of gravity due to the curved backpanel, which was one of my original concerns.

      Down the Trail

      The Atmos 65 is a mixed bag of features that I really love weighed against one or two design issues that are effecting the fit and physical comfort of the pack. I really feel like I need to spend more time in the pack before I can start to draw any real conclusions about the Atmos. I must say that I feel like the features and overall design are very well thought out and executed. For lack of a better term I think I'd call it "user friendly". However, even this early on I know there are two things I'd really like to see changed. I'd like to see the addition of a lumbar pad to improve the fit up against my back and prevent rubbing on the pack body under heavier loads and more adjustment to the suspension of the pack itself so I could customize it to fit my unique shape a little better.

      This concludes my Field Report on the Osprey Atmos 65. Please check back in late September for the final installment of my test report which I'm sure will have considerably more insight into the ins and outs of the Atmos. I'd like to thank Osprey and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to participate in this series!

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
    • Mark McLauchlin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28, 2009
        G'Day Greg,

        No problems, I will review tonight and post.

        Cheers

        --

        Follow me on my lightweight hikers blog

      • Mark McLauchlin
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
          G'Day Greg,

          I wouldn't be concerned at all with the content of your report. I found it
          to be informative without seeming too critical. In saying that this is why
          we test gear, I would hate to think that you sugar coated a report, I then
          purchased the gear and found the same issues as yourself. So good pickup and
          even better for being diplomatic in your approach.

          Few small edits then you are good to upload, don't forget to delete the test
          report.

          EDIT: gear on two-night
          >>gear on a two-night

          EDIT: Pull Loopo is the alt text on one of your images,
          >>Pull Loop is what I assume you are referring to?

          EDIT: final installment