[LTR] MSR HyperFlow - Greg M

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28, 2009
      Hey Curt,

      My LTR for your is here for your editing pleasure! I had a little trouble figuring out new things to say... since not a lot changed since my FR so I welcome any and all comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance!

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20-%20MSR%20HyperFlow%20GM/
      -- OR --
      http://tinyurl.com/lhfm6k

      Greg M

      _________________________

      MSR HYPERFLOW MICROFILTER
      TEST SERIES BY GREG MCDONALD
      LTR
      July 28, 2009

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      Testing Conditions and Locations

      The final two months of my testing brought me up into Massachusetts and Maine which provided me a bit of relief from the oppressive Florida heat. The HyperFlow filtered my and my group's water on trips to Folly Pond in Maine, a dayhike in Southern Maine, and a short overnighter in Florida.

      Elevations have ranged between sea level and 285 ft (0 m - 87 m), temperatures in Maine ranged from 52 F during the night up to around 75 F during the day (11 C - 24 C) with temperatures in Florida starting at 75 F and rose to nearly 95 F (24 C - 35 C), and I encountered precipitation on two of the occasions.

      As with my Field Report, I pumped water both directly from the source and from a water bag during each trip.

      Long Term Observations

      The MSR HyperFlow has continued to perform very well over the last few months of my testing. My findings since my Field Report have been consistent with what I have already reported. There are, however, a few things that I'd like to expand on.

      One thing I've gotten a real opportunity to observe over the last two months is how simple the HyperFlow is to use even for people who don't have any experience with it. On my recent trips I made it a point to observe novices and other people who had never used the HyperFlow. What I noticed was that the HyperFlow was something that could be easily figured out by almost anyone. Everyone in my group was able to pick it right up and figure out how to use it relatively easily. I believe this is a testament to the usability of a product, and I was impressed by it. The last thing I want to have to do is sit everyone down and teach them how to do something when I'm tired at camp and just want to relax, so I appreciated the short learning curve.

      During my long term testing I would estimate that I have pumped approximately 30 more liters of water through the filter. Since it has just been oppressively hot here in Florida and I have been traveling with larger parties on my recent trips I have put quite an additional load on it. On one of my trips where I estimate I pumped about 20L of water I backflushed the filter after about 15L when the output appeared to slow a bit. I contribute the slowdown to the fact I was pumping directly from a water source most of the time and when I did pump from the bag, because we were pumping so much, the water did not have a very good chance to settle. Even so, 15L before backflushing is nearly double MSR's estimate of needing to backflush about every 8L.

      I much prefer the backflushing system to improve flow rate than the field maintenance I've had to perform on other filters. I've really only used ceramic/charcoal element filters in the past and cleaning those in the field was a real pain in the backside... if not impossible. From a field maintenance standpoint the HyperFlow is much easier for me.

      Long term durability has also been very good. The filter element appears to be in great shape upon visual inspection. The inlet tubing is still in good condition. There are no cracks or other damages to the red plastic housing or the black "rubberized" grip portions of the pump. It pretty much looks brand new.

      The only thing that I'm continuing to struggle with is the pre-filter. The darn thing just wants to flip intake-side-up in the water and I haven't really been able to figure out a consistent way of keeping it face down. I've used the hook and loop straps on the pre-filter to attach it to my trekking pole which I've stuck out into the water and this did the job... but it was a real pain and is pretty impractical for me considering I use both my trekking poles to setup my Tarptent in camp. I'd like to see MSR address this pre-filter issue going forward.

      The Last Word

      I think it's pretty obvious from my entire test report here that I really, really, really like this filter. The compact size, low weight, compatibility with all of my hydration systems, high flow rate, and ease of care and use are all major factors that have lead to my satisfaction. The only thing that ever disappointed me about it was the trouble I've had throughout the test with the pre-filter flipping up. At this point, my old filter has been retired. The MSR HyperFlow will be taking care of my water for the foreseeable future.

      This concludes my Test Series on the MSR HyperFlow. I would like to thank MSR and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test such an excellent product. Happy trails!

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
    • Mike C.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2009
        Greg,

        Sorry for the delay . . . it's been a busy week. I don't have any edits, just a Edit/Comment you can take or leave . . . it's more about my personal preferences than anything else, so feel free to take it or leave it. I look forward to working with you again in the future!

        Mike C.

        <SNIP>

        During my long term testing I would estimate that I have pumped approximately 30 more liters of water through the filter. Since it has just been oppressively hot here in Florida and I have been traveling with larger parties on my recent trips I have put quite an additional load on it. On one of my trips where I estimate I pumped about 20L of water I backflushed the filter after about 15L when the output appeared to slow a bit. I contribute the slowdown to the fact I was pumping directly from a water source most of the time and when I did pump from the bag, because we were pumping so much, the water did not have a very good chance to settle. Even so, 15L before backflushing is nearly double MSR's estimate of needing to backflush about every 8L.

        Edit/Comment: While a liter is permissible without conversion, I find it personally useful to convert larger liter amounts . . . for instance, I'm personally curious how many gallons 30 liters would be. While not strictly necessary, you might consider converting these larger amounts.

        <END>