LTR - MSR Hyperflow filter - David Wilkes

  • amatbrewer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 2009
      Below is the text for my MSR Hyperflow filter LTR. You may find the HTML in the TEST folder at: http://tinyurl.com/m77nrf
      This has been an excellent product to test and I am grateful for the opportunity!

      Dave

      USAGE
      * Day hike Mt Rainer National park (carried but did not use)
      * Day hike Umptanum Falls (pumped 2L without back flush)
      * Backpack trip to Umptanum Falls (pumped 4L without back flush)
      * Canoe trip on Rimrock Lake (pumped 1L back flushed after returning home)
      * Day hike Pleasant Valley (Washington Cascaides)

      I took the pump on my daughter's 6th grade field trip. I ended up not using the pump on this trip due to not being able to find safe access to the river near where we stopped for lunch.
      I took a quick hike to check out a possible camp for my 6 year olds first backpack trip. I wanted to go quick and light, so I took minimal gear. I decided to take an empty water bottle and the Hyperflow to save weight and get some water when I stopped at the campsite I was checking out. This worked very nicely. It was a pleasure to speed down the trail with virtually no weight encumbering me. I stopped the check out where I plan on camping and filed my water bottle from the stream. The water along the way was running very slowly and in the places where it pooled looked stagnant and rather unpleasant. Under different conditions I would probably have avoided drinking from this even after filtering it, but between the fact that I am testing a filter and had such a short quick trip back to my vehicle I decided to risk it. The water was warm and tasted a bit like dirt, but not unpleasant. I filtered and drank half a liter, with no problem. The pumps lightweight and quick/easy setup, combined with its high rate of flow makes this an attractive option for when I want to cut down on the weight I carry and know there is a reliable water source available.
      On my backpacking trip to Umptanum falls with my daughter I had some concerns about the quality of the water available. While there were fish living in the biggest pond, the water in many spots was a nasty looking dark gray (maybe a bit worse than on my previous trip) and I even noticed the jawbone of an animal in the water just upstream from where we camped. I made it a point to bring enough water with me for my daughter to drink and only used the filtered water from the stream for cooking and for drinking myself. I also made it a point to only collect water from above the spot with the animal remains (the ones I could see anyway). As in my previous trip the water was not the best tasting, but I experienced no health problems.
      During this trip I noticed that the pump seems to leak just slightly. While pumping I noticed a few drips of water was coming from in-between the two sections of the pump. While this is not a problem in and of itself it makes me wonder about the long term durability of the product. Also during this trip, I realized the one non-intuitive step in using the product (at least for me) is the test to see if the filter media has been damaged. I realized this is not part of the instructions that are attached in the inside of the pump carrying pouch, and I forgot that I had the full instructions with me.
      I used the pump during a day trip where my daughters and I spent the day paddling our canoe around Rimrock Lake. The lake water was only slightly cloudy and warm enough to swim in. Operating the pump from the canoe was very easy. I simply dropped the pre-filter into the water next to me, attached the pump to my water bottle and pumped. Again the pre-filter floated on the top of the water only partially submerged. After returning from this trip I thought again about how the pump leaked slightly during the previous trip so I looked up and performed the Integrity Check process. The filter did not pass. While holding the pump for the recommended 4 seconds I could hear air leaking into the pump chamber and when I released it, it only moved back slightly, not the `snap back' that the instructions describe (I tried this out while going over the product in preparation for the Initial Report and it worked then). Since I know I have not dropped the pump and have not let it freeze, I am surprised at this failure. I have tried holding the pump to my ear and the leak sounds like it is coming from the output end of the pump. I don't know how to figure out if the problem is with the filter media or the seal. Before contacting the manufacturer I decided to go over the process again to be sure I had not missed anything and maybe better identify the problem. I started by going to the MSR Water Treatment FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) and found the following:
      "In preparation you need to make sure that your filter is fully wetted out. This means that you should have pumped several liters of water before performing this test. Generally your Filter Cartridge will not dry much during storage, so as long as you have used the pumps a few times, you should be in good shape."
      After reading this I tried pumping some water through the filter and back flushing it before doing the integrity test again. This time it passed! Since I had just used the pump the day before, I think the "will not dry much during storage, so as long as you have used the pumps a few times, you should be in good shape." may be a bit misleading. My recommendation would be to be sure you only perform this test immediately after pumping water through the filter.
      I used the pump on one final trip, a family day hike with the Cascadians in Pleasant Valley. It was a short hike where I pumped about 1.5l out of a small stream to refill our water.

      I continue to struggle with getting the pre-filter to remain in the water, and have given up trying to get it to sit on top of the water facing down as it is intended. Every time I use it, it ends up only partially submerged and at an angle. Attaching a rock to the pre-filter has been effective, but I don't like to do that if this will cause the pre-filter to come in contact with the muddy bottom of the water source. The pre-filter seems like a good idea, but just does not seem to work as intended. At the conclusion of this test series, I am considering trying the pre-filter/float from my old pump with the Hyperflow to see how well they function together.

      Summary
      The Hyperflow's small size, light weight, and speed along with the ability to back flush in the field are real advantages. Sometimes with my old pump I would have an internal debate as to if I was really thirsty enough to pull the pump out and filter water. With the MSR I have been filling my water contaniers more often and as a result despite often carrying less water than I normally would I have remained better hydrated. The pumps only disadvantages are the force needed to operate it and the poor performance of the pre-filter. Aside from the pre-filter, the pump works as advertized and has performed admirably. Losing one of the small parts (outlet cover or valves) could be a problem if I am not careful, and so carrying spare valves might be a good idea. Overall I am very happy and impressed with the Hyperflow, and would recommend it to friends and family.
    • Mike C.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
        Dave,

        Sorry for the delay . . . it's been a busy week. A nice conclusion to your series. Below are your edits, in the usual format: EDIT=Change, Edit=Change something, Comment=just that.

        I look forward to working with you again!

        Mike C.

        <SNIP>

        Edit: Some of your paragraphs have spaces between them, and others don't. Please edit for consistency (the first and second paragraphs for sure . . . a few of the others I'm not certain are paragraph breaks or just how my browser is displaying it).

        * Day hike Pleasant Valley (Washington Cascaides)

        EDIT: Spelling: Cascades

        <SNIP>
        I took a quick hike to check out a possible camp for my 6 year olds first
        backpack trip.

        EDIT: 6 year old's (it is a possessive form . . . assuming you have only one 6 year old . . . if you have more than one, the apostrophe would go after the "s" to make it plural possessive . . . sorry, I was an English major . . . ).

        <SNIP>

        The pumps lightweight and quick/easy setup, combined with its
        high rate of flow makes this an attractive option for when I want to cut down on
        the weight I carry and know there is a reliable water source available.

        EDIT: pump's light weight (possessive form again)

        <SNIP>

        I used the pump on one final trip, a family day hike with the Cascadians in
        Pleasant Valley.

        EDIT: Cascades

        <SNIP>

        With the MSR I have been filling my water contaniers more
        often and as a result despite often carrying less water than I normally would I
        have remained better hydrated.

        EDIT: Spelling: containers

        The pumps only disadvantages are the force needed
        to operate it and the poor performance of the pre-filter.

        EDIT: pump's (possessive form again)

        Aside from the
        pre-filter, the pump works as advertized and has performed admirably.

        Edit: Spelling: advertised (my spell check allows it with a z, but my dictionary shows an s being standard for American English . . . ).

        <END>
      • david wilkes
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009
          Mike,
          Thanks for the edits.
          I don't know how I ended up with a z in advertised...strange.
          As for the "Cascadians" that was not a miss spelling. It is the name of a group I belong to. Other than that I fixed all the errors, uploaded, and deleted the file in the Test folder.

          Thanks again!
          Dave