FR - White Sierra Trabagon rain jacket - Ed Morse

  • Edwin Morse
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23, 2009
      FR - White Sierra Trabagon rain jacket - Ed Morse

      Bob, Here is the text version only of my Field Report.
      I am sending this directly to you and to the list. I'm posting as early as I can since I will be going OOP the 28th for a week. I should get BIP on August 4, the day this is due. I would rather be early than late.

      The full HTML version should be found in the Tests folder at: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR%20-%20White%20Sierra%20Trabagon%20rain%20jacket%20-%20Ed%20Morse/

      The Tiny URL is: http://tinyurl.com/lbe8uh

      I hope I've caught most of my blunders.

      WHITE SIERRA TRABAGON RAIN GEAR JACKET
      TEST SERIES BY EDWIN MORSE
      FR
      July 23, 2009

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      I've been on three trips, which totaled four nights out, since the initial Report. I've carried and used the White Sierra Trabagon Rain Jacket on each trip. I've also worn the jacket several times for day hikes and shopping trips. This has been one of the coolest and wettest summers I can remember.

      The first was June 13 through June 15, 2009 on South Manitou Island. This island, part of the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, is in Lake Michigan, about 7 miles (11 km) west of the nearest point of land in Michigan. During the first night we had a light rain for about an hour. All three days were bright, sunny and warm. The low temperature each morning was about 50 F (10 C) and the high each day was about 65 F (18 C). Our group camped in an open forest area about 1000 feet from the shore. The terrain on the island varies from flat along the south and east shore to hilly forests inland to 300 foot (91 m) high dunes on the west side.

      The second, June 30 and July 1, 2009, was an overnight hike in the Manistee National Forest in northwest Lower Michigan. The purpose of this hike was to get some exercise and more specifically to test some gear in rainy weather. The weather prognosticators predicted nearly constant rain for the next four days. I started hiking at 11:15 with a temperature of 50 F (10 C) and dropped to 47 F (8 C) by the time I got to my chosen camping area. The rain quit for the last 2 miles (3 km) of my hike in and started again soon after I got the tent set up. I camped in a small stand of red pines in a low flat area known as Lietch Bayou. Except for the bayou, this area is the hilliest part of the Manistee National Forest. The rain started again during the night and did not quit until after I got home. It rained hard and steady while I hiked back to the car. During this trip I wore the jacket most of the time I was outside the tent, except when I was under the tarp eating or packing. I wear a broad brimmed Tilly hat when I'm hiking. On this hike I pulled the jacket hood up over the hat. This kept my hat and head dry but limited how much I could turn my head. I was wearing a Patagonia silk weight tee shirt and a BPL Thorofare long sleeve snap shirt under the Trabagon rain jacket. Neither of these shirts is especially breathable.

      The third, July 15 & 16, 2009, was an overnight hike in the Pere Marquette State Forest, east of Traverse City, Michigan. The 9.5 mile (15.3 km) hike to where I camped was a little hilly with mostly sunny skies and pleasant temperature holding at 68 F (20 C). A light rain started during the night. It was 47 F (8 C) when I started hiking in the morning and did not change. The weather on the day I hiked back alternated between hard rain and periods of just dark threatening clouds. This time I pushed the hood down inside the back of the jacket and depended on the Tilly hat to keep my head dry. This gave me more head mobility but my hat and the top of my head got wet.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      During the first outing, to South Manitou Island I only wore the jacket for a short time each morning as a wind breaker over two shirts. It served this purpose very well.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "breakfast on South Manitou Island" IMAGE CAPTION = "breakfast on South Manitou Island">>
      The White Sierra Trabagon rain jacket had me wondering if it is not water proof or not breathable at the end of the second hike. When I got back to the parking lot my shirts were very damp in several places. OTOH, I sweat so much anyway that nothing I wear hiking can stay dry. The outside shirt I was wearing is definitely not breathable and the inside shirt is not warm when sweaty. I was warm enough until I took off the rain jacket.

      The third trip I wore a very light weight BPL Merino Hoodie. The first day was mostly bright and sunny so the jacket stayed in my pack. The next morning I put the jacket on over the BPL hoodie before I got out of the tent. While I was eating or packing under the tarp I used the jacket to sit on. I put the jacket back on when I was ready to take the tarp down and finished packing. I took it off once when the rain stopped for a short period. I soon put it back on. When the rain started coming down hard I put my cell phone in one inside jacket pocket and the camera in the other inside pocket. When I got back to the parking lot I took off the jacket. The BPL Hoodie was sweaty wet. Some areas inside the Trabagon jacket were wet and some areas were dry. The wet areas generally correspond to areas where I sweat the most. The cell phone and camera were both dry.

      SUMMARY

      I think the White Sierra Trabagon rain jacket is water proof. I also think it is as breathable as a waterproof jacket can be. No rain jacket, or even any shirt I own, can stay dry when I'm hiking. I sweat hard when I'm hiking and I cool off quickly when I stop. If my rain gear keeps me warm I feel it is doing the job it should. I would prefer the jacket to be about five inches longer. This would make the two way zipper more necessary and more useful.

      Positives:
      * Adjustable hood
      * Useful pockets
      * Two way zipper
      " Easy to layer over shirts

      Negatives;
      * Ventilated back useless for hiking
      * Shorter than I prefer

      I would like to thank White Sierra and Backpackgeartest.org for the opportunity to use and test this jacket.

      This concludes my Field Report. TheLong Term Report will be appended in about two months, Please check back for more of my experiences with the White Sierra Trabagon rain jacket.

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
    • Bob Sanders
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 26, 2009
        Hi Ed,

        Looks like I only found a couple of edits. HTML looks fine.

        Make changes and upload when ready. See you in 2 months.

        Bob

        July 25, 2009

        Monitor edits of Ed Morse's White Sierra Trabagon Rain Jacket
        Field Report

        EDITS = must do
        Edit = think about it, but do something
        Comment = think about it

        > The second, June 30 and July 1, 2009, was an overnight hike in the
        > Manistee National Forest in northwest Lower Michigan. The purpose of
        > this hike was to get some exercise and more specifically to test
        > some gear in rainy weather. The weather prognosticators predicted
        > nearly constant rain for the next four days. I started hiking at
        > 11:15 with a temperature of 50 F (10 C) and dropped to 47 F (8 C) by
        > the time I got to my chosen camping area.

        EDIT: Double spaces before "The weather" and "I started"

        > I was wearing a Patagonia silk weight tee shirt and a BPL Thorofare
        > long sleeve snap shirt under the Trabagon rain jacket. Neither of
        > these shirts is especially breathable.

        Edit: Acronyms are useful only if everyone knows what they mean. BPL
        is really an acronym for Backpacking Light. Not everyone will know
        that. Probably best to spell out the name or leave it out.

        > OTOH, I sweat so much anyway that nothing I wear hiking can stay dry.

        Edit: Another one of those acronyms that people may not know. I didn't
        know what OTOH stood for and had to look it up. Either say "on the
        other hand" or just leave it off.

        > The third trip I wore a very light weight BPL Merino Hoodie. The
        > first day was mostly bright and sunny so the jacket stayed in my
        > pack. The next morning I put the jacket on over the BPL hoodie
        > before I got out of the tent. While I was eating or packing under
        > the tarp I used the jacket to sit on. I put the jacket back on when
        > I was ready to take the tarp down and finished packing. I took it
        > off once when the rain stopped for a short period. I soon put it
        > back on. When the rain started coming down hard I put my cell phone
        > in one inside jacket pocket and the camera in the other inside
        > pocket. When I got back to the parking lot I took off the jacket.
        > The BPL Hoodie was sweaty wet.

        Edit: BPL used 3 times. Spell out or leave off.

        > SUMMARY
        >
        > I think the White Sierra Trabagon rain jacket is water proof. I
        > also think it is as breathable as a waterproof jacket can be. No
        > rain jacket, or even any shirt I own, can stay dry when I'm hiking.

        EDIT: Double space before "I also think". Also for consistency change
        water proof to waterproof

        > This concludes my Field Report. TheLong Term Report will be appended
        > in about two months, Please check back for more of my experiences
        > with the White Sierra Trabagon rain jacket.

        EDIT: add space between The and Long
      • Edwin Morse
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 27, 2009
          Hi Bob,
          Edits all done. New HTML uploaded to the rain gear folder. HTML has been
          deleted from the tests folder.

          Thanks for the quick edits.

          Ed

          _____