IR-Eureka Grand Manan 7-Suzi Gibson

  • suzi_q_jones
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 6:16 PM
      Hi Ken,
      Here's my IR for your editing pleasure:)

      Tiny:
      http://tinyurl.com/lkrb2t

      Long:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR-Eureka%20Grand%20Manan%207-Suzi%20Gibson/

      Thanks! Suzi

      IR- Eureka Grand Manan 7
      Test Series by Suzi Gibson
      Initial Report – 30 June 2009

      Tester Information:
      Name: Suzi Gibson
      Age: 31
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'6" (1.7 m)
      Weight: 150 lb (68 kg)
      Email address: suzi_q_jones at yahoo dot com
      City, State, Country: Anderson, South Carolina, USA

      Backpacking Background: I've gone on many family camping trips to various places
      along the east coast of the US since I was a child. Over the past several years, I have done
      several backpacking trips in the Southeastern US. With the arrival of my daughter in
      2007, my husband and I have refocused on car camping and day hikes in the Southeastern
      and Mid-Atlantic US. She loves hiking with me while riding in our child carrier and
      assists me in getting our base camp set up when camping, or at least the best a 2 year old
      can do. As she gets older, we plan on introducing her to the joys of backpacking.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Eureka!
      Model: Grand Manan 7 (3 person tent)
      Listed Weight (minimum): 10 lbs. 14 oz (4.93 kg)
      Weight as Delivered: 12 lbs. 5.5 oz. (5.6 kg; tent, fly, poles, stakes and stuff sacks)
      Listed and Actual Packed Size: 8 in x 22 in (20 x 56 cm); 8.5 in x 21 in (22 x 53 cm)
      Listed and Actual Dimensions: 7 ft 6 in x 6 ft 6 in (2.3 x 2 m); 7 ft 6 in x 6 ft 6 in (2.3 x 2
      m)
      Listed Area for Tent and Vestibule: 48.75 sq. ft (4.53 sq m); 45.04 sq. ft. (4.18 sq m)
      Listed and Actual Center Height: 4 ft 3 in (1.3 m); 4 ft 3 in (1.3 m)
      Pole Sizes and Materials: 2 - 9.5 & 11 mm fiberglass
      MSRP: $189.90 (US)

      Product Description:

      The Eureka Grand Manan 7 (hereafter called "the tent") is a dome shaped, 3 person,
      family or car camping tent. The tent comes with a rain fly (hereafter called "the fly"), 14
      stakes, 3 fiberglass poles (two for the tent, and one for the rain fly), instructions and stuff
      sacks. The tent itself has a dark brown bathtub floor with light brown sides. The two
      poles have angled ferrules that allow for the straight wall design from the bathtub floor
      up 12 in (cm ) along the wall. There are 2 windows on either side of the tent, two D-
      shaped doors, two windows on the top along with two vents. The two side windows have
      a removable window flaps that allow for additional air movement. All window and door
      meshing is 40D no see um mesh. There are four, 11 in x 7 in (28 cm x 18 cm) pockets
      mounted to the tent walls.
      The fly is made from 75 StormShield® polyester, (1200 mm coated with taped seams)
      and is medium brown in color. There are two vestibules each with a clear, PU window
      that allows light into the vestibules as well as allowing the occupants to see out. The fly
      secures to the tent along each pole with Velcro tabs and plastic buckles at the base of the
      tent so the bottom of the fly can be rolled up without completely un-securing the fly.
      There are also two vents in the top of the fly.

      Initial Set-up:

      I pitched this tent by myself in under 20 minutes and I believe it could easily be
      completed in less than 10 minutes in the future. I did it alone to mimic what typically
      happens on our outings; one person has toddler duty and the other pitches the tent or, on
      some of our closer trips, I go with our toddler to set up camp and my husband
      rendezvous' with us after he gets off work. I followed the directions just in case there
      were any steps not common to usual tent pitching. The directions were clearly written
      and included a few pictures. Pitching the tent was made easy with the tent's continuous
      pole sleeves and metal grommets. The rain fly was equally simple to put on the tent and
      adjust.

      This tent is very easy to assemble alone thanks to the continuous pole sleeves. The
      straight sidewalls really make the tent feel roomier than it is and I can't wait to see how
      our sleeping gear fits. The ventilation is excellent! The day I pitched it, the winds were
      calm and the air was getting stagnant while I was sitting in the tent writing down notes
      for my initial report. However, as I removed the window flaps, I could feel the air
      moving through the tent. The air movement improved even more when I rolled up the
      sides of the fly. This is something I personally like since most of our camping is in a hot,
      humid climate. All zippers work well. The stitching is of good quality and craftsmanship.
      The vestibules are fairly large and I like that they are on both doors. Overall, I am very
      impressed with this tent and can't wait to start field-testing.

      Likes:
      • Great airflow
      • Easy to pitch alone
      • Full rain fly
      • 2, large vestibules
      • Full poles sleeves

      Dislikes/Concerns:
      • Nothing at this time

      This concludes my Initial Report for the Eureka Grand Manan 7. The field report will be
      appended to this report in approximately two months (September 2009). Please check
      back then for more information. Thanks again to Eureka and BackPackGearTest.org for
      granting me the opportunity to test the Eureka Grand Manan 7.