APPLICATION - Ultimate Survival Base Kit - Shawn Wakefield

  • sjwakefield@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2009
      APPLICATION - Ultimate Survival Technologies's BASE Kit - Shawn Wakefield
      Date: June 30, 2009

      Please accept my application to test Ultimate Survival Technologies's BASE Kit. I have read Chapter Five of the BackpackGearTest Bylaws, version 0609, and I agree to follow all requirements in the Bylaws. My tester agreement was completed, signed, and mailed on April 17, 2009.

      TESTER BIOGRAPHICAL INFO

      Name: Shawn Wakefield
      Age: 39
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6 ft 0 in (1.9 m)
      Weight: 165 lb (75 kg)
      Email address: shawn AT wakefieldsoft DOT com
      City, State, Country: Tishomingo, Oklahoma, United States
      Backpacking Background: I started camping and backpacking about 25 years ago as a teenager in the Boy Scouts. I have more recently gotten very interested in backpacking again, and I really enjoy going lightweight now. My wife and I take frequent backpacking trips together, and our kids (all under 13) go occasionally. I tend to hike in Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas for short trips, but enjoy Wyoming and Colorado for longer trips. I am an Eagle Scout, and as such conduct myself with integrity, trustworthiness, and honesty.

      TEST PLAN

      I am on some sort of trip every month, sometimes twice. Most likely, I will be on a canoe trip and two backpacking trips during this test period. As a scoutmaster for a boy scout troop, our weekly meetings provide ample opportunity to demonstrate and test fire starting and emergency procedures.

      I have used several fire starting devices, so this one will be a great device for comparison. Does the included tender really work when wet? How long does it burn? How does the starter compare to other fire starting options?

      Since these trips will be with others, I will be able to test and get feedback on how well the signal mirror can be seen at a distance. Similarly, how does the emergency whistle compare to other whistles or emergency devices?

      The kit will be a great test and demonstration item.

      PREVIOUS REPORTS

      My 4 owner reviews and test report can be found here:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/wakefields

      Currently Testing:
      OR Radar Cap - FR phase
      Dahlgren Socks - not yet arrived

      No other applications are pending at this time.

      Thank you for your time and for considering my application,
      Shawn Wakefield