Re: TEST CALL - Want to sleep with an adventurer?

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
      Kenny, I havent seen any apps yet so I may put one in. Question if you know. What size is this bag? The word doc don't say. The only one I could find on a google search is 33 x 84 with a 24 in foot box. A 33 is usually too small for me but not always. Any info on fit for a big guy? FWIW this is the bag I found.

      http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=CS%20B071&sid=FROOGLE&EID=FRCS%20B071&bhcd2=1243960357

      they have it on sale for $35 (reg price is $70)

      Coy Boy

      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, krb84108@... wrote:

      > Here’s one for you:
      >
      > Suisse Sport - Adventurer Sleeping Bag 45 F
      > See Word Doc in the files page
      > Bag is suitable for backpacking. Tester can use it car camping as well
      > That is all I know about the bag so if you ask questions about the bag (I will direct you to this test call to this line:
      >
      > “I don’t know, we will have to wait to test it to know more”
      >
      > Questions regarding the test call itself, however, are ok.  Just make sure you read the details first which are here:
      >
      > Details:
      >
      > Newbie limit does not apply
      > US Shipping included
      > Kenny B is the mod
      > I’ll close this call next Sunday night at midnight EST and be looking for “Suisse Sport Adventurer Sleeping Bag” in your application subject line.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Kenny B

    • Sophie
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
        I found it here, looks like the same image as the word doc
        http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Extra-small-Lightweight-Camping-sleeping/dp/B001TR7QZA

        but that says it is 29 1/2 x 84 1/2 x 19 1/2, even smaller! They list it for $50 (reg $100).
        Cheers,
        Sophie

      • krb84108@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
          I don't think it is the exact same one as the temperature rating is different, but I suspect it is close. I could be wrong though. Certainly wouldn't be the first time.

          Kenny B

        • krb84108@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
            Hi Coy

            I wish I could say I knew one way or the other but I do not. Sorry. I am in the dark as much (or probably more than you)

            Kenny B

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 5, 2009
              Please accept my application to test the Suisse Sport Adventurer sleeping bag. My test agreement was mailed July 2008. I agree to comply with all of the test requirements, including Chapter 5, found in the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609, which I most recently read on May 25, 2009.

              Name: Sophie Pearson
              Age: 27
              Gender: Female
              Height: 5' 8" (1.71 m)
              Weight: 179 lb (81 kg)
              Email address: sophiep3 at gmail dot com
              Location: Tampa, Florida USA

              BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
              I first started backpacking as a teenager in England. I did a 28-day trip in the Arctic, but most of my backpacking experience has been weekend to 10-day trips, in a range of terrains and climates. I am a volcanologist so I also do day hikes carrying loaded packs over intense terrain. Nowadays I am generally in sub-tropical climates. I am heading increasingly towards ultralight packing, and unless I am sharing I use a bivy. I try to pack under 20 lb (9 kg) for long weekend trips but have carried over 50 lb (23 kg).

              WHY ME?
              As my first big trip was to the Arctic, my first real sleeping bag was a synthetic one rated to -22 F (-30 C), and I used it down to that! When I moved to Florida this was total overkill so I bought a lighter, smaller, down bag. For backpacking I do prefer it, but somehow my Arctic bag still gives me the best night's sleep! I now find that I do a lot of travel camping and backpacking (Florida not exactly being renowned for its mountains) and with the cost of checking luggage ever-increasing, I am trying to get things smaller and lighter. This bag would fit the bill!

              In the summer here we basically only need a sheet, so I think such a small bag would be great as I wouldn't mind if I didn't really need to bring it. I don't know how the weight compares to my down one, but I tend to find that I have one of the lightest packs anyway. A bag this small would also be extremely useful for the traveling I have coming up - both for the backpacking sections, and for the travel sections where I will be staying in youth hostels or on people's floors. This bag would therefore probably end up accompanying me all around the world and would certainly get tested thoroughly, in a range of conditions. Here's hoping it would be up to it!

              I think I would be a useful person to test the bag because as well as sleeping cold, so being able to assess the warmth of the bag well, I am also middling sized - on the big size of average for a female, on the small side of average for a male. Therefore I can give a fairly good idea of what sizes the bag would be comfortable for. Always good to know before you buy a sleeping bag!

              FIELD INFORMATION
              I have 2 camping trips coming up in June, if the bag arrives in time. Both are kayak camping as Florida gets a bit hot for hiking! The first is on 12 June to watch a shuttle launch, and the second is open-water kayaking to a remote island 2 weeks later. Both are one-night affairs. Temperatures are likely to be between 97 F (36 C) and 60 F (16 C), with nighttime temperatures averaging 70 F (21 C). Humidity averages around 80%, and up to 100% at this time of year, so a light sleeping bag is definitely useful!

              In early July some friends are planning a long weekend multisport trip (3 days backpacking, then white water-rafting) to North Carolina in the Great Smokey Mountains. Hiking distances are likely to be between 6 and 15 miles a day (depending on group ability, topography, how fresh we are etc.) with elevation changes of up to 1500 ft (500 m). Temperatures could be below freezing, but may get up to 80 F (27 C).

              I am planning to lead a 2-week adventure with my University, again to North Carolina, at the end of July. This would be 8 days of backpacking with primitive camping in Linville Gorge, NC, then rock climbing and white water rafting. Elevation changes of 1500 ft (500 m) and temperatures between freezing and 80 F (27 C) are expected.

              In August I am hoping to do at least one overnight backpacking trip in central Florida, which will be similar conditions to the kayaking trips. I am also going to do a car-camping trip locally as a social event to welcome new grad students (guess who started that tradition in my department!)

              In September I am going to a conference in Berkeley, CA and am going to spend a long weekend exploring Yosemite beforehand. Maximum elevation is 4,000 ft (1,200 m) and temperatures are between 87 F (31 C) and 51 F (10 C). I am going straight from there to Italy where I am hoping to spend at least a day hiking around Mt Vesuvius and will probably stay in a youth hostel in the area. After that I am going to another conference, at Mt St Helens, where I will have at least one day of fieldwork, and am planning a 3-day hike either before or after with friends. Elevation will be up to 4800 ft (1463 m). Temperatures will be between 65 and 45 F (19 and 7 C), with plenty of rain!

              In November, if the test extends that long, I am hopefully going to lead a 2-night backpacking trip in west central Florida, where elevation is flat and the rainy season is mercifully coming to an end!

              WHAT I WOULD BE LOOKING AT
              Size - In the picture it looks like the sleeping bag is just larger than a person's hand. Does that person have freakishly large hands?!! How big IS the sleeping bag when compressed? How heavy is it? How big is it uncompressed? How big is it laid out? How easy is it to fit into the compression sack?

              Comfort - Is the sleeping bag big enough to not feel constricting? Is it small enough to not have lots of extra air for me to heat? Is it thick enough to provide any padding underneath me? Does it work better in a tent, or a hammock, where I only tend to have my feet inside the sleeping bag and use the rest as a quilt?

              Material - It says that the sleeping bag is synthetic, is it made from good quality materials? Are there any defects in workmanship? Is the material thick enough to be comfortable? Does it have the rustly-slipperiness of many synthetic sleeping bags? Does it have any kind of padding inside? Does it have wave construction or anything else to help with warmth? Do the zips get caught in the material? Is it one full-length zipper? Are there zip pullies on the inside and outside? Do any of the materials start to break or wear over time?

              Warmth - This bag is rated to 45 F. I tend to sleep cold, so at what temperatures is this bag comfortable for me? How does it compare to my 25 F bag, which I first get cold in around 50 F? Is it thin enough and small enough to be used as a liner for my 25 F bag? Does that add any noticeable difference to the warmth? How does it respond to humidity and/or the damp of kayaking?

              Design - Is the hood a good size? Can it easily be pulled tighter for a closer fit? Are there any extra features like a built-in pocket or foot zipper?

              PREVIOUSLY WRITTEN REPORTS
              My 5 owner reviews and 9 test reports can be found here:
              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/sophp333

              COMPLETED TESTS
              Bilt Vite Plus Water Bottle
              UCO Mightylite XL Lantern and Torch
              Feetures Bamboo and Wool Socks

              CURRENTLY TESTING
              Vargo ResTek Compression Drybag (LTR due 28 July)
              Mountainsmith Carbonlite Trekking poles (LTR due 14 July)
              Royal Robbins Zip-N-Go pants (FR due 16 June)
              Essential Gear K2 Focus headlamp (FR due 16 June)
              SolHuma Vital Stove (LTR due 28 July)
              Warbonnet Blackbird Hammock (IR posted 27 May)
              Solar Safe Wristbands (awaiting shipment)

              I know that this is a lot and seems silly to still be applying for things, but they are all so different! I can't see any way that these items would interfere or overlap with testing the sleeping bag. Also, many of them are approaching LTR stage (and one is a consumable), plus I have very flexible time, allowing me to keep on top of the test reports!

              CURRENTLY SERVING AS MONITOR FOR
              Cedar Tree Industries the Packa

              APPLICATIONS PENDING
              None

              Thank you very much for your consideration,
              Sophie