Application - OR Sodo/Cypress Sunshirt - Jerry Adams

  • jerry adams
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2009
      APPLICATION TO TEST
      OR Sodo/Cypress Sunshirt
      June 1, 2009

      I have read the BGT By-Laws (v. 0609) including Chapters 4 and 5
      and will comply with all of the reporting terms and requirements.
      My tester agreement is on file. As reported below, I will have
      no difficulty meeting the minimum expected use requirements.

      Personal Information:

      Name: Jerard Adams
      Age: 55
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6'1" (185 cm)
      Weight: 190 lb (86 kg)

      Location: Portland Oregon
      Email: jerryaadams at yahoo dot com

      Experience:

      I started hiking about 45 years ago.  My  first backpack was 40
      years ago.  I currently try to do one backpack trip of 1 to 5
      nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter).  Mostly
      I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat
      Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula.  In recent years I have
      shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water
      is about 15 lb (7 kg).  I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon
      tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack.  My
      sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress

      Test Plan:

      In June and July, what I assume will be the FR period, I'll do
      one car camp of five nights near Bend Oregon.  Temperature will be
      about 40 to 80 F (4 to 15 C).

      I'll also do two backpack trips in the Mount Hood
      foothills Southeast of Portland from 2500 to 7000 feet (750 to 2000 m) elevation.
      Each trip will be at least four nights and about 30 miles
      (50 km).  The temperature will be about 32 to 80 F (0 to 27 C).

      I may get another backpack trip in during the FR period.

      I'll do a few day hikes during the period of about 20 miles (30 km) total.

      In August and September, what I assume will be the LTR period, I'll do
      one car camp of five days on the coast of Washington State.  The
      temperature will be about 45 to 65 F (7 to 18 C).

      I'll also do two backpack trips, probably one in the Goat Rocks area in Washington
      and probably the other around the Three Sisters in central Oregon. 2500 to 8000 feet
      (750 to 2400 m)  elevation.  40 to 90 F (4 to
      32 C).  Each trip will be at least four nights.  The Goat Rocks trip will be about 30
      miles (50 km).  The Three Sisters trip will be about
      50 miles (80 km).

      I may get in one more backpack trip during the LTR period.

      I'll do a few day hikes during the period of about 20 miles (30 km) total.

      If selected, I will use the OR Sodo/Cypress Sunshirt on each
      of these outings.  This would be a total of at least 13 nights for each
      of the FR and LTR periods.  Total mileage will be about 200 miles (300 km).

      Plan Details.

      A. Weight:  I'll measure the weight.

      B. Fit: Will the size L fit properly?  Around the chest?  When I move my arms around?

      C. Workmanship:  Are all the pieces of fabric cut right?  Are the seams good?

      D. Comfort:  Will it be comfortable when it's warm out?  How quickly does it dry if
      it gets sweaty?

      E. Durability:  After the limited length of this test will the shirt be worn at all?
      I'll wash it about 8 times during the test which can wear out clothing worse than wearing it.

      F. Sun protection:  I can't test this scientifically, but I'll get an idea by just
      looking through the fabric and seeing my skin after a few days of exposure.

      If selected, I would like the size L.

      I have two test reports and four owner's reviews at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/retiredjerry

      I just started testing the Merril Chameleon Evo Boot and have been
      selected for the Teko Summit socks.

      I'm the monitor for the Appy Trails tent.

      Thank you for considering me as a tester for the OR Sodo/Cypress Sunshirt