FR - Princeton Amp 1.0 - Sam Stamey

  • samstamey
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2009
      Here is my FR for the Princeton Amp 1.0
      Thank you for the edits.

      HTML can be found here:

      May 31, 2009

      NAME: Sam Stamey
      EMAIL: samstamey at yahoo dot com
      AGE: 43
      LOCATION: Santa Rosa, CA
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.83 m)
      WEIGHT: 170 lb (77.00 kg)

      Backpacking background: I started backpacking two years ago with my wife and two children (ages 8 and 10 at the time). We have been car camping for 20+ years.
      Most of our backpacking has been three season camping in the Sierras, 6000 -12,000 ft (1800 m - 3658 m) and on the Northern California Coast.
      We mostly do a combination of car camping and backpacking.
      Our family recently switched from one 4 person tent to using two 2 person tents. I usually carry most of the weight and my internal frame pack weighs between 40-50 lb (18-22 kg).

      Manufacturer: Prince Tec
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.princetontec.com" LINK TEXT = "Princetontec.com">>
      MSRP: US$14.99
      Listed Weight: 2.01oz (57g)
      Measured Weight: 2.08 oz (59g)
      Other details: Waterproof to 328 ft (100m), comes in four colors, runs on 2 aaa batteries, 14 lumens

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "front">>
      The Princeton Tec came in a plastic package with the flashlight, batteries and instructions. Packaging is simple but effective. It was nice to have the batteries included with the product so I did not need to go out to a store and purchase batteries for the first test.
      Princeton has made what looks like a well constructed, packable, bright flashlight that I feel will be perfect for a backup light while backpacking.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "back">>
      The flashlight itself is small enough to fit into the palm of my hand and seems to be constructed well. Hard colored plastic on about one third of the outside and rubberized plastic on the rest of the flashlight. The light that was shipped to me is black and bright yellow. The bright yellow is nice because I sometimes misplace things and the color will make it stand out.
      On and off is a simple twist of the lens and there is a large hole on the end of the flashlight for clipping on to a pack, keychain, etc.

      This is a flashlight after all so the instructions are minimal. Unscrew the cap, put the batteries in and put the cap back on. Twist the lens to turn it on and off.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3 instructions">>
      The batteries go in side by side instead of end to end which I think is nice. It does not matter which side you put the batteries on as long as one battery has a positive side up and the other has a positive side down.

      The flashlight came with batteries and once I installed them I was ready to turn the flashlight on. To turn on the flashlight I simply tighten the lens cap by turning it clockwise less than a quarter turn. Turning it off was as easy as turning the lens cap counterclockwise by a quarter turn.
      The light is bright, white, and clear. The lens is not adjustable and the manufacture claims that the beam will go about 171 ft (52m), I have not tested that distance yet but it looks to be about that far.
      The flashlight is comfortable in my hand and I am able to turn it on and off with one hand.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "pack">>
      The large hole on the end of the flashlight is great for clipping the light on to pants , packs, or jackets.

      Princeton Tec has made a small, bright, waterproof, and hopefully tough flashlight that I feel will be great for a backup light while backpacking.
      The size of the light makes it very packable and the large hole on the end of the light makes it perfect for attaching to a carabiner which then allows me to connect it to a backpack or belt loop.
      Over the next several months I will test this flashlight to see if it holds up to Princeton Tec claims.

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      This little flashlight goes everywhere with me including the Grand Canyon for a five day backpacking trip, Santa Cruz , CA. for weekend camping trips, my backyard, my garage and my house. Becuase I live in an ideal climate I have not been able to test this flashlight in wet or really cold weather. The weather that I have tested this flashlight in has been in the range of 35 - 100 F (1.67 - 37.78 C).

      The Amp 1.0 has performed flawlessly so far. It is light enough that I find myself carrying it pretty much wherever I go. It is small enough that I don't mind slipping it into my pants pocket or a jacket pocket.

      I have found the burn time to be between two and two and a half hours. Depending on what type of batteries I use.The cheaper no name brand batteries don't last as long as the more expensive batteries. I also found the it is very easy to change the batteries even in the dark. Because the batteries are side by side instead of end to end it does not matter which battery is on the left and which one is on the right as long as one battery is positive side up and one battery is negative side up.I can tell in the dark by feeling for the positive bump on the end of the battery.

      Dropping the flashlight has not had any ill effect so far. I have dropped it many time and it does not show any visible damage and still works as well as the first day that I tested it. I find that the twisting of the lens to turn the Amp on and off makes the flashlight simple and durable. I have used flashlight in the past with a conventional switch which has broken and left me without a light and I feel that the Amp switch will not break and therefore it is more reliable.

      I don't dive so I have not had the chance to do any real underwater testing but I have submerged it in the sink and turned it on. It worked well and did not leak any water into the battery area or bulb area.

      Around camp I have found myself reaching for the Amp instead of my headlamp when I want to find something quickly or take a run to the nearest tree in the middle of the night. I still use my headlamp for longer task such as washing dishes or setting up my tent in the dark but I find that the Amp fits well in my hand and has a good range of light.

      Around home I have used the Amp for a lots of task such as finding lost camping equipment in the garage, looking under the bed, searching for pesky animals that have found thier way into my back yard, and various other non - camping related task.

      So far the Amp 1.0 has been a useful addition to my camping equipment. It works well with two AA batteries, is light and small enough to carry wherever I go, is tough enough to take the abuse that I give it and is very simple to use.
      This concludes my field report, please stay tuned for then exciting conclusion of the testing in the long term report.

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.