LTR - Yaktrax Pro Traction Device - Pat McNeilly

  • Pat McNeilly
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29 2:39 PM
      Hi Coy,

      Below is my LTR for the Yaktrax Pro. The html is in the test folder at http://tinyurl.com/nrtqjo

      I appreciate any edits you might have.

      Thanks

      Pat

      Long-Term Report
      May 29, 2009

      Field Conditions:
      Temperatures really warmed up around here since my Field Report and I haven't had too much chance to use the Yaktrax Pro since then. I took them along on a trip along the Appalachian Trail in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (New Jersey). I did encounter some light snow and temperatures down to 28 F (-2 C) but there wasn't any accumulation of snow and the devices remained attached to outside of my pack the whole time.

      I was able to wear them around town two additional times. These were times when we had rain overnight followed by freezing temperatures. This left parking lots and sidewalks very icy. This may not have been hiking or backpacking but these parking lots were more treacherous than many trails I have hiked.

      Product Review:
      Although I haven't had much more opportunity to use the Yaktrax Pro devices due the to warmer temperatures, there are a few other things to comment on. First, I had mentioned in my Field Report that a coil had broken. When putting the devices on during the long-term testing period, I did not pay close enough attention to make sure the broken piece was on the outside (i.e., lateral) side of the shoe. I ended up snagging my pants with the broken coil. It didn't cause a rip but I certainly wasn't happy about that.

      I also wanted to mention that cleaning the devices has been very simple. Larger sticks can get caught in the coils but they are pretty easily removed. Other smaller debris can also get caught but I found that they can easily be removed by running the device under some running water. I thought I was going to have to scrub some mud and debris out but there didn't seem to be much problem cleaning them. I also had a little concern that the coils would rust and possibly cause some weakening of the coils, particularly where they bend. I have already seen that the coils can weaken from metal fatigue, so I guess the importance of that concern was moot. However, I would note that I haven't seen any rusting of the coils, which I find rather surprising since I haven't kept them meticulously clean.

      Other than those few observations, I would say that my feelings remain the same as in my Field Report. The Yaktrax Pro works well as it is intended, that is, providing traction on ice and packed snow. The product appears to have some durability issues, particularly if worn hiking where dirt or rock might be encountered.

      Things I like:
      1. Grips ice and packed snow well.
      2. Easy to get on.
      3. Fits over many types of shoes.

      Things I don't like:
      1. Rubber straps not very durable.
      2. Steel coils bend out of shape.
      3. Tend to pick up debris.

      This concludes my testing of the Yaktrax Pro traction device. I would like to thank Yaktrax and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this item.
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29 5:37 PM
        Hi Pat, here is your edit. The LTR was short but I understand why with the warm weather and all. I ran into the same thing testing a long sleeve midweight shirt.

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Pat McNeilly" <mcne4752@...> wrote:

        > Hi Coy,
        >
        > Below is my LTR for the Yaktrax Pro. The html is in the test folder at http://tinyurl.com/nrtqjo
        >
        > I appreciate any edits you might have.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Pat
        >
        > Long-Term Report
        > May 29, 2009
        >
        > Field Conditions:
        I took them along on a trip along the Appalachian Trail in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (New Jersey).

        comment: (and very nitpicky at that) Id make one of the alongs something slse. or just drop the first one.

        >I did encounter some light snow and temperatures down to 28 F (-2 C) but there wasn't any accumulation of snow and the devices remained attached to outside of my pack the whole time.

        Edit: I think you meant to the outside. add "the"

        The rest of the report looks good. You know the drill from here. It was a pleasure working with you on this test series!

        Coy Boy
      • Pat McNeilly
        Message 3 of 3 , May 30 5:39 AM
          Thanks Coy.

          All done and uploaded. I didn't think you were being too nitpicky. It makes a better report in the end and I certainly can use the help.

          Nice working with you also.

          Pat