OR - Outdoor Research Swift Cap - Roger Ault

  • chance4272
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2009
      Hello, My IR for the Outdoor Research Swift Cap is ready for editing. Textis is below and the html can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/IR-ORSC-RA
      Thanks in advance for the edits.
      Roger

      IR OUTDOOR RESEARCH SWIFT CAP
      TEST SERIES BY ROGER AULT
      IR
      May 17, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Roger Ault
      EMAIL: chance4272@...
      AGE: 45
      LOCATION: Spencer, Indiana USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 276 lb (125.00 kg)

      I have been camping for several years. I had limited chances as a child but have
      been camping a lot the past 20 years. I love backpacking and consider myself
      moderately equipped although I can never have enough gear. I want to spend more
      time winter camping. I typically carry 25 - 45 pounds (~11 - 20 kg). I generally
      use a tent for shelter. I generally hike in the woods and rolling hills of
      Indiana.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website:www.outdoorresearch.com
      MSRP: US $20.00
      Listed Weight: 2.5 oz (71 g)
      Measured Weight: 2 oz (57 g)
      Other details: The Outdoor Research Swift Cap (hereafter either "the cap" or "the Swift") has an adjustable fit that is said to be "one size fits all". The sizing chart shows that it is adjustable from 21.5 to 24 in (57 to 61 cm). I can actually adjust to 27 in (69 cm) but the cap starts to distort and I wouldn't want to try to wear it when adjusted that far.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Swift came in a cardboard box with some paperwork and a sticker. I received the slate colored cap. It came with a hangtag attached that lists other categories of gear from OR. It also states that OR has an infinite guarantee. "Outdoor Research products are guaranteed forever". The tag also lists a phone number for OR. From the picture on the website I assumed (mistakenly) that the cap was only mesh panels on the side and the top was a sewn in solid panel. In reality the top is a loose flap of nylon material that is attached at the front and rear that provides added protection from the sun. The mesh underneath is full coverage and is not sewn in as a panel. "OR" is nicely stitched in the front. I cannot actually see the plastic bill under the material, but that is what the manufacturer says it is. I can bend it to reshape it but it tends to stay bent a little more than I usually wear my caps. I noticed a little "puffy" pocket on the bottom of the bill. There are two rows of stitches in an arc about 5/8 and 7/8 in (16 and 22 mm) from the outer edge from the bill. The material inside this arc is puffed out about 1/4 in (6 mm) from the plastic and is stretched taut. If I straighten the bill out flat the material then touches the bill. I plan to watch to see if this material stays taut or becomes loose over the test period. I was surprised to find that there is a quick release buckle on the adjustable band at the rear. I am not certain why I would ever need the quick release on a cap.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      There are three tags on the cap. One simply says "1 size", another says "made in China" and "100% nylon" the third says " wash separately". The third tag has some symbols on it that appear to indicate how to care for the Swift but I do not understand the symbols. I would like to see better care instructions either on the label or on the hangtag that comes attached. I was unable to locate any instructions on the manufacturer's website.

      A further search on Google produced a site that explains the symbols. The instructions, according to this site, indicate care to be as follows:

      Machine Wash, Cold, Permanent Press - Initial water temperature should not exceed 30C or 65 to 85F. (This conversion is erroneous because 30 C converts to 54 F. To be safe I will simply use cold water.)

      Do Not Bleach - No bleach product may be used. The garment is not colorfast or structurally able to withstand any bleach.

      Tumble Dry, Normal, Low Heat - A machine dryer may be regularly used at a maximum of Low Heat setting.

      Iron, Low - Regular ironing, steam or dry, may be performed at Low setting (110C, 230F) only.

      Do Not Dryclean - Garment may not be commercially drycleaned.

      The information above is from textileaffairs.com. I would prefer clearer instruction to be provided by the manufacturer.

      TRYING IT OUT

      The Swift appears to be a good quality product. When wearing it for the first time outdoors at approximately 75 F (24 C) I noticed I could feel the breeze coming through the mesh. The wind was blowing 5 - 10 mph (8 - 16 kph) It is also quite light and very comfortable. I stopped at the local outfitter to pick up a new cartridge for my water filter and the employees there were impressed with the cap.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      I plan on watching the puffy area mentioned above. I will be seeing how it handles moisture and if it stains easily from sweat. If it stains can it be cleaned? I will also be testing for durability by wearing it a lot during my daily activities this summer. I will be looking for a use for the quick release buckle. I will be seeing how it handles getting wet and how quickly it dries.

      I will be going to the Deam Wilderness for three days and two nights over the Memorial Day weekend. I may extend this to three nights by going in friday evening. The weather forecast is for mostly sunshine and temperatures from 55 to 81 F (13 to 27 C). This should be great weather for testing the Swift.

      I have several weekends off from work from mid-June through late July. I am sure I will be taking advantage to go on a few weekend trips. Summer officially begins June 21, 2009 and I believe summer is when this cap is designed to perform well.

      SUMMARY

      I am quite pleased with the overall appearance and feel of this cap.

      Pros
      Lightweight
      Mesh
      Easily adjustable

      Cons
      Lack of clear instructions for care of the cap

      This concludes my Initial Report. The Field Report will be amended to this report in approximately two months from the date of this report . Please check back then for further information.

      I would like to thank both Outdoor Research and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test the Swift Cap.

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.