BIP - Kurt Papke

  • Kurt Papke
    Message 1 of 13 , May 4, 2009
      Back from the SHTA annual meeting. The Superior Hiking Trail is a
      mess from a March ice storm that deposited 2" of ice on the trees and
      brought down countless aspen and birch. Spent yesterday clearing
      trail. It will take months for crews to complete the clearing.

      I hope Ed Morse does OK on his hike (I am going to try and join him
      for the Kek). Nimblewill (NCT thru-hiker) appears to have gotten some
      frostbitten feet from hiking in the deep snow still remaining on the
      Kek. The ice storm was mostly south of Grand Marais, so Ed won't have
      to deal with tree falls, but the amount of remaining snow is daunting.
      A crew headed to Eagle Mountain in the BWCAW called off their trail
      maintenance this weekend as the snow was impassable on foot.

      This will not be a normal hiking year for backpackers in the North Country.

      --Kurt
    • kwpapke
      Message 2 of 13 , May 26, 2009
        Back a few days earlier than my worst-case plan as I was able to get a ride back to the TH rather than yo-yo-ing the Kek.

        Had a great time hiking with fellow BGT'r Ed Morse.

        Saw a note that someone applying for the Bug Bucket has a BWCAW trip planned. Wish I'd had the hat, though I did have my OR head net. The mayflies were out in force...

        I will start the MSR Skinny One Edits probably tomorrow, and I believe Ed asked for extension as he's still on his way back to MI.

        --Kurt
      • Kurt Papke
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 15, 2009
          Unbelievable, 4 days in northern Wisconsin in June with no bugs,
          ticks, etc. Great trip. Working on the K2 FR...

          --Kurt