Help needed to search for missing hiker on AT near Punchbowl Mt

  • cmcrooker
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2009
      Hi all,
      Ken Knight, one of the Backpacking Light editors is missing from the AT.
      Point Last Seen: Punchbowl Mountain, Blue Ridge Parkway, mile 51.7, in the area of Buchanan and Bedford, Va.
      Time Last Seen: Sunday, April 26, 9:00 - 10:00 a.m.

      Ken is vision impaired and may have gone off trail. He also reported that he was not feeling well and may have hiked into town. But he missed his flight on Wednesday.
      He was southbound when last seen.

      If any of you live in the area, consider joining the SAR effort.
      I could not find information on how to join the VA SAR efforts, which are considerable, but the BPL publisher, Ryan Jordan is coordinating outside volunteers - info below.

      For updates and a photo Of Ken go to the BPL forums at http://tinyurl.com/ded5tt

      EMERGENCY @KENKNIGHT (KEN KNIGHT) MISSING ON A.T. IN VA: http://tinyurl.com/ded5tt INFO? EMAIL PUBLISHER@... RT @BIGSKYRY

      Non-agency SAR and other volunteers interested in assisting with this search should contact us at publisher@..., who is coordinating the efforts of outside volunteers with the SAR Coordinator on location. Please send your name, cellular phone number, and distance from SNP in your message, and then wait for further instructions.

      More links here:
      http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-va-missingappalachia,0,6599856.story

      http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/missing_hiker_alert.html?id=Lo5RkvQY:24.23.69.142

      http://www.newsadvance.com/lna/news/local/article/appalachian_trail_hiker_missing_in_amherst_count/15626/

      http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49721
      Carol
    • Greg
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2009
        I always feel so helpless when I read stories like this. I got the same feeling when I read the store that Yi-Jien had gone missing in Glacier last year... just makes me want to grab my gear and get out there.

        Greg M

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "cmcrooker" <cmcrooker@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > Ken Knight, one of the Backpacking Light editors is missing from the AT.
        > Point Last Seen: Punchbowl Mountain, Blue Ridge Parkway, mile 51.7, in the area of Buchanan and Bedford, Va.
        > Time Last Seen: Sunday, April 26, 9:00 - 10:00 a.m.
        >
        > Ken is vision impaired and may have gone off trail. He also reported that he was not feeling well and may have hiked into town. But he missed his flight on Wednesday.
        > He was southbound when last seen.
        >
        > If any of you live in the area, consider joining the SAR effort.
        > I could not find information on how to join the VA SAR efforts, which are considerable, but the BPL publisher, Ryan Jordan is coordinating outside volunteers - info below.
        >
        > For updates and a photo Of Ken go to the BPL forums at http://tinyurl.com/ded5tt
        >

        > EMERGENCY @KENKNIGHT (KEN KNIGHT) MISSING ON A.T. IN VA: http://tinyurl.com/ded5tt INFO? EMAIL PUBLISHER@... RT @BIGSKYRY
        >
        > Non-agency SAR and other volunteers interested in assisting with this search should contact us at publisher@..., who is coordinating the efforts of outside volunteers with the SAR Coordinator on location. Please send your name, cellular phone number, and distance from SNP in your message, and then wait for further instructions.
        >
        > More links here:
        > http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-va-missingappalachia,0,6599856.story

        > http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/missing_hiker_alert.html?id=Lo5RkvQY:24.23.69.142
        >
        > http://www.newsadvance.com/lna/news/local/article/appalachian_trail_hiker_missing_in_amherst_count/15626/
        >
        > http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49721
        > Carol

      • Jamie D.
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2009
          I agree Greg. Speaking of Yi-Jien, has there been any new news about his story? The last stuff I read when I was glued to his cousin's blog and updates here was that the search had been called off and that was about it.

          I know this is not for this forum, I don't belong to Kampfire and didn't where to ask. You can email me directly if anyone has heard anything new.

          thanks
          jamie d

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gdm320@...> wrote:

          > I always feel so helpless when I read stories like this. I got the same feeling when I read the store that Yi-Jien had gone missing in Glacier last year... just makes me want to grab my gear and get out there.
          >
          > Greg M

        • Leesa J
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2009
            Jamie and all,

            Last I heard from his mother, there hadn't been any news to report. They
            were thinking that after the spring thaws, they might at least have some
            clues.

            Leesa

            On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Jamie D. <jdeben@...> wrote:

            > I agree Greg. Speaking of Yi-Jien, has there been any new news about his
            > story? The last stuff I read when I was glued to his cousin's blog and
            > updates here was that the search had been called off and that was about it.
            >
            > I know this is not for this forum, I don't belong to Kampfire and didn't
            > where to ask. You can email me directly if anyone has heard anything new.
            >
            > thanks
            > jamie d
            >
            > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gdm320@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I always feel so helpless when I read stories like this. I got the same
            > feeling when I read the store that Yi-Jien had gone missing in Glacier last
            > year... just makes me want to grab my gear and get out there.
            > >
            > > Greg M

          • Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2009
              Recent twitter updates from Ryan Jordan of BPL indicate that Ken has
              been found safe and healthy. Great news!

              Rebecca

              On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Leesa J <leesaj@...> wrote:

              > Jamie and all,
              >
              > Last I heard from his mother, there hadn't been any news to report. They
              > were thinking that after the spring thaws, they might at least have some
              > clues.
              >
              > Leesa
              >
              > On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Jamie D. <jdeben@...> wrote:
              >
              >> I agree Greg. Speaking of Yi-Jien, has there been any new news about his
              >> story? The last stuff I read when I was glued to his cousin's blog and
              >> updates here was that the search had been called off and that was about
              >> it.
              >>
              >> I know this is not for this forum, I don't belong to Kampfire and didn't
              >> where to ask. You can email me directly if anyone has heard anything new.
              >>
              >> thanks
              >> jamie d
              >>
              >> --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gdm320@...> wrote:
              >> >
              >> > I always feel so helpless when I read stories like this. I got the same
              >> feeling when I read the store that Yi-Jien had gone missing in Glacier
              >> last
              >> year... just makes me want to grab my gear and get out there.
              >> >
              >> > Greg M

            • cmcrooker
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2009
                Good news!
                Ken Knight has been found. He walked out under his own steam and is on his way to the Lynchville hospital now.
                Yeah!!!
                Carol

                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Leesa J <leesaj@...> wrote:

                > Jamie and all,
                >
                > Last I heard from his mother, there hadn't been any news to report. They
                > were thinking that after the spring thaws, they might at least have some
                > clues.
                >
                > Leesa
                >
                > On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Jamie D. <jdeben@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I agree Greg. Speaking of Yi-Jien, has there been any new news about his
                > > story? The last stuff I read when I was glued to his cousin's blog and
                > > updates here was that the search had been called off and that was about it.
                > >
                > > I know this is not for this forum, I don't belong to Kampfire and didn't
                > > where to ask. You can email me directly if anyone has heard anything new.
                > >
                > > thanks
                > > jamie d
                > >
                > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gdm320@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I always feel so helpless when I read stories like this. I got the same
                > > feeling when I read the store that Yi-Jien had gone missing in Glacier last
                > > year... just makes me want to grab my gear and get out there.
                > > >
                > > > Greg M

              • Jerry Goller
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2009
                  That is good to hear.

                  Jerry

                  reviews and tests on the planet.

                  Recent twitter updates from Ryan Jordan of BPL indicate that Ken has been
                  found safe and healthy. Great news!

                  Rebecca

                  On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Leesa J <leesaj@...> wrote:

                  > Jamie and all,
                  >
                  > Last I heard from his mother, there hadn't been any news to report.
                  > They were thinking that after the spring thaws, they might at least
                  > have some clues.
                  >
                  > Leesa
                  >
                  > On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Jamie D. <jdeben@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> I agree Greg. Speaking of Yi-Jien, has there been any new news about
                  >> his story? The last stuff I read when I was glued to his cousin's
                  >> blog and updates here was that the search had been called off and
                  >> that was about it.
                  >>
                  >> I know this is not for this forum, I don't belong to Kampfire and
                  >> didn't where to ask. You can email me directly if anyone has heard
                  anything new.

                  >> thanks
                  >> jamie d
                  >>
                  >> --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gdm320@...> wrote:
                  >> >
                  >> > I always feel so helpless when I read stories like this. I got the
                  >> > same
                  >> feeling when I read the store that Yi-Jien had gone missing in
                  >> Glacier last year... just makes me want to grab my gear and get out
                  >> there.
                  >> >
                  >> > Greg M

                  database 4049 (20090501) __________

                  http://www.eset.com

                  database 4049 (20090501) __________

                  http://www.eset.com
                • cmcrooker
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 3, 2009
                    Ken has talked about testing for BGT every time I've seen him, but he never found the time. Maybe after his life changing experience he'll find time :)
                    Carol
                    --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller" <ChiefModerator@...> wrote:

                    > That is good to hear.
                    >
                    > Jerry
                    >

                    > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the most comprehensive interactive gear
                    > reviews and tests on the planet.

                  • Shane Steinkamp
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 5, 2009
                      > I know this is not for this forum, I don't belong to Kampfire and didn't
                      > where to ask. You can email
                      > me directly if anyone has heard anything new.

                      There is a 'social' group for BGT members at
                      BackpackingTalk@yahoogroups.com.

                      A missing hiker is news on all groups, though, so it isn't improper to ask
                      here.

                      Shane