IR - OR Contour Windshirt - Callahan

  • tcallahanbgt
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1 9:30 PM
      Below is my IR for the OR Contour Windshirt. The html version may be found here, http://tinyurl.com/c7wfxl

      OR CONTOUR WINDSHIRT
      TEST SERIES BY TOM CALLAHAN
      IR
      May 01, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Tom Callahan
      EMAIL: tcallahanbgt AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 50
      LOCATION: Seattle, Washington, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 170 lb (77.10 kg)

      For the past 20 years I have lived off and on in Washington State, backpacking in the Cascade Mountains. I get out regularly on day hikes and multi-day trips and usually try to include a good off trail scramble. During the winter I get out snowshoeing at every opportunity. I also enjoy glacier climbing, summiting prominent peaks like Mt. Rainier (14K ft/4K m) and Mt. Baker (10K ft/3K m). My pack weight will range from 15 - 50 lbs (7 - 23 kg) depending on the season and the length and type of trip.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.outdoorresearch.com">>
      MSRP: US$ 110.00
      Listed Weight: 9.9 oz (281 g)
      Measured Weight: 11.0 oz (312 g)
      Color: Pumice, other colors available: Oxide/Espresso, Black
      Sizes: S, M, L, XL

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "OR Windshirt (Outdoor Research)" IMAGE CAPTION = "OR Windshirt (Outdoor Research)">>
      The Outdoor Research Contour Windshirt came with 2 hang tags, one a OR tag and the other a Cordora product tag. The weight and feel of the shirt is about what I expected. The colors are true to those on the web site. The shirt does not have a liner and is composed of a single layer of material made up of 91% Cordora and 9% Spandex. The material is supple, smooth and nice to the touch. It is slightly stretchy and keeps its shape. All stitching is straight and tight. There were no loose threads on the garment.

      The Windshirt has a 14 in (35.5 cm) zipper in the front. On the right hip there is a 10 in (25.5 cm) zipper. The shirt has a chest pocket on the left side that has a 6 in (15.2 cm) zipper opening. All the zippers are composed of nylon teeth, metal sliders and the slider tabs are metal with a rubber coating. The chest pocket is not stitched in, but rather is glued securely to the exterior of the windshirt.

      The Windshirt requires no special care or treatment. Washing instructions are simple:
      - Machine wash cold
      - Do not bleach
      - Tumble dry low
      - Do not iron
      - No bleach

      TRYING IT OUT

      The Windshirt pulled on easily over my head when I first tried it on. I then zipped up the hip zipper. It lived up to its name, having a nice contour fit. The size Medium is perfect for me. It fit well across my shoulders, chest and stomach. The length of the shirt extended below my hip, further than I expected. But I like the length as it will keep me covered and not ride up when bending over. The sleeve length is generous which I like since it keeps my wrists covered even when my arms are fully extended. Zipping up the chest zip closed the Windshirt snug to my chin. This was comfortable, not too tight and I didn't feel like it contricted my throat. With the chest zip completely open and the hip zip closed I tried taking the shirt off and putting it back on. It was possible to do, but was much easier with the hip zip open.

      INITIAL REPORT SUMMARY - May 1, 2009

      In summary the OR Windshirt is what I expected to receive based on the picture and text on the web site. I really like the contour cut of this garment as it fits me very well. I also really like the weight of this shirt. I have never owned a garmet of this weight and style and am anxious to check it out. I am hoping this shirt will be a good match to those conditions when a softshell jacket is too warm, yet it is too cool to go with just a hiking shirt.

      This concludes my Initial Report. Check back in about 2 months for my Field Report.

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.