Re: Reminder TEST CALL: Going on Safari?

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30 5:10 AM
      That is most likely a misprint. I'd go with what the call indicated. A bag this big with a heavy duty cotton canvas outside and cotton flannel liner and synthetic insulation at only 5 lbs is not going to be a -35 F bag. Ive seen similar bags that weighed as much a 10 to 12 lbs with only a 0 F rating.

      Coy Boy

      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "chance4272" <chance4272@...> wrote:

      > I wouldn't feel comfortable applying to test this bag in my area during summer. I think it is still worthy to note that the .PDF file indicates 25° - 35 °F / -3.89° - 1.67° C rather than what is indicated in the test call. This info might help some who were borderline because of temp. rating.
      >
      > > This is a car camping test, backpacking is not required with this
      > > item. Some details about the bag include:
      > > - Size: 39" x 80" Oversized
      > > - Heavy Duty Cotton Canvas
      > > - Cotton Flannel liner
      > > - Temp comfort rating: 15F to 25F (-4 to 9C)
      > > - Fill: 5 lbs
      > > - Manufactured in the USA, based out of Los Angeles
      > > - Sold in discount stores like Target and Walmart

    • Leesa J
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 30 5:17 AM
        Coy - It meant between 25 and 35 F. Not -35.

        Leesa

        On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 8:10 AM, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

        > That is most likely a misprint. I'd go with what the call indicated. A bag
        > this big with a heavy duty cotton canvas outside and cotton flannel liner
        > and synthetic insulation at only 5 lbs is not going to be a -35 F bag. Ive
        > seen similar bags that weighed as much a 10 to 12 lbs with only a 0 F
        > rating.
        >
        > Coy Boy
        >
        > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "chance4272" <chance4272@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I wouldn't feel comfortable applying to test this bag in my area during
        > summer. I think it is still worthy to note that the .PDF file indicates 25°
        > - 35 °F / -3.89° - 1.67° C rather than what is indicated in the test call.
        > This info might help some who were borderline because of temp. rating.
        > >
        > > > This is a car camping test, backpacking is not required with this
        > > > item. Some details about the bag include:
        > > > - Size: 39" x 80" Oversized
        > > > - Heavy Duty Cotton Canvas
        > > > - Cotton Flannel liner
        > > > - Temp comfort rating: 15F to 25F (-4 to 9C)
        > > > - Fill: 5 lbs
        > > > - Manufactured in the USA, based out of Los Angeles
        > > > - Sold in discount stores like Target and Walmart

      • chance4272
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 30 7:12 AM
          The test call should be revised. It is erroneous any way you check it. The conversions between F and C do not match either.
          Sorry for the confusion on the first post. I just copied and pasted info from the PDF file. It says 25F - 35F with the dash meaning "to".

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 30 7:58 AM
            I know, thats what I said...or meant too (when i said go with what the call said, not what the pdf file said).

            Coy Boy

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Leesa J <leesaj@...> wrote:

            > Coy - It meant between 25 and 35 F. Not -35.
            >
            > Leesa
            >
            > On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 8:10 AM, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
            >
            > > That is most likely a misprint. I'd go with what the call indicated. A bag
            > > this big with a heavy duty cotton canvas outside and cotton flannel liner
            > > and synthetic insulation at only 5 lbs is not going to be a -35 F bag. Ive
            > > seen similar bags that weighed as much a 10 to 12 lbs with only a 0 F
            > > rating.
            > >
            > > Coy Boy
            > >
            > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "chance4272" <chance4272@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I wouldn't feel comfortable applying to test this bag in my area during
            > > summer. I think it is still worthy to note that the .PDF file indicates 25°
            > > - 35 °F / -3.89° - 1.67° C rather than what is indicated in the test call.
            > > This info might help some who were borderline because of temp. rating.

          • Jason Boyle
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 30 1:30 PM
              ALL,

              The PDF is what was sent to me by the company. Please use that to base your application on. Please don't project, that is why we test to determine what the actual limits of the test item is.

              Jason B
              Test Mod

              Waiting on a flight....
            • pamwyant
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 30 3:23 PM
                I hope you don't mind if I add something Jason. In the hopes of encouraging more applicants, it might be appropriate to point out that a lot of car camping bags available for purchase at big box retailers carry similar temperature ratings, and a good many people use them comfortably at warmer temps.

                Not projecting, just pointing out that caution can be a good thing in some circumstances, and could be part of a test plan. We all know that there are numerous sleeping bags out there that are over-rated, and determining if the one we are testing is spot on or not can definitely be part of our service to the backpacking/car camping community. We should also keep in mind that testing temperature ratings needs to be done in a safe manner - I think it's best to either test at first where you can bail out, or have a back-up system in place during the first use of a bag, especially in circumstances near its lower temperature rating.

                Pam

                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Boyle" <c4jc88@...> wrote:

                > ALL,
                >
                > The PDF is what was sent to me by the company. Please use that to base your application on. Please don't project, that is why we test to determine what the actual limits of the test item is.
                >
                > Jason B
                > Test Mod
                >
                > Waiting on a flight....

              • chance4272
                Message 7 of 12 , May 1, 2009
                  I believe what is in chapter 6 of the Survival Guide sums up what I was trying to say about testing this item.

                  Chapter 6 under common mistakes #8 has:
                  8. Make sure you've used the item for its intended purpose.

                  1. Don't just report on your use of a winter bag in summer or a backpack for day trips.

                  2. Those experiences can add to a review but you should have experience using the product as it was designed & marketed.

                  If the manufacturer states intended purpose, then I think trying to test entirely out of that range (as in summer here for this bag would be) would be unacceptable. I wouldn't think it would be projecting to think I should try to hit the intended use range.

                  Am I mistaken here?

                  Thanks
                  Roger

                  --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "pamwyant" <pamwyant@...> wrote:

                  > I hope you don't mind if I add something Jason. In the hopes of encouraging more applicants, it might be appropriate to point out that a lot of car camping bags available for purchase at big box retailers carry similar temperature ratings, and a good many people use them comfortably at warmer temps.
                  >
                  > Not projecting, just pointing out that caution can be a good thing in some circumstances, and could be part of a test plan. We all know that there are numerous sleeping bags out there that are over-rated, and determining if the one we are testing is spot on or not can definitely be part of our service to the backpacking/car camping community. We should also keep in mind that testing temperature ratings needs to be done in a safe manner - I think it's best to either test at first where you can bail out, or have a back-up system in place during the first use of a bag, especially in circumstances near its lower temperature rating.
                  >
                  > Pam
                  >
                  > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Boyle" <c4jc88@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > ALL,
                  > >
                  > > The PDF is what was sent to me by the company. Please use that to base your application on. Please don't project, that is why we test to determine what the actual limits of the test item is.
                  > >
                  > > Jason B
                  > > Test Mod
                  > >
                  > > Waiting on a flight....

                • pamwyant
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 1, 2009
                    The manufacturer doesn't really call it a winter bag. They do note a temperature range without clarifying what it relates to. It could be comfort range. It could be "you won't die" range.

                    Don't necessarily conclude from numbers that the bag won't work in summer is all I'm saying.

                    Pam

                    --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "chance4272" <chance4272@...> wrote:

                    > I believe what is in chapter 6 of the Survival Guide sums up what I was trying to say about testing this item.
                    >
                    > Chapter 6 under common mistakes #8 has:
                    > 8. Make sure you've used the item for its intended purpose.
                    >
                    > 1. Don't just report on your use of a winter bag in summer or a backpack for day trips.
                    >
                    > 2. Those experiences can add to a review but you should have experience using the product as it was designed & marketed.
                    >
                    > If the manufacturer states intended purpose, then I think trying to test entirely out of that range (as in summer here for this bag would be) would be unacceptable. I wouldn't think it would be projecting to think I should try to hit the intended use range.
                    >
                    > Am I mistaken here?
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > Roger

                  • Dark Lazarus
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 4, 2009
                      Just a friendly reminder that this call is closing soon, get your apps
                      in soon please.

                      kathryn

                      --
                      If so, than consider the Exxel Outdoors Safari 5 car camping sleeping
                      bag. There is not a lot of information out there about this bag so if

                      This is a car camping test, backpacking is not required with this
                      item. Some details about the bag include:
                      - Size: 39" x 80" Oversized
                      - Heavy Duty Cotton Canvas
                      - Cotton Flannel liner
                      - Temp comfort rating: 15F to 25F (-9 to -4C)
                      - Fill: 5 lbs
                      - Manufactured in the USA, based out of Los Angeles
                      - Sold in discount stores like Target and Walmart

                      - Webbing straps & buckles for easy roll-up
                      - Heavy duty #9 self-repairing zipper

                      Fine Print:

                      Newbie limit does not apply
                      US shipping Included
                      Call will close on May 5th
                      Include "Exxel Safari 5" in the subject line
                    • Thomas Vickers
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 4, 2009
                        Jetboil testers,
                        I have forgotten your reports because I accidentally deleted your folder in
                        my email program.
                        I will be getting to your edits asap, today or tomorrow.

                        Tvickers