IR - Bridgedale X-Hale Trail Diva Socks - Daignault

  • CLD
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2009
      For your editing pleasure! HTML version here: http://tinyurl.com/cghusk

      BRIDGEDALE X-HALE TRAIL DIVA SOCKS
      TEST SERIES BY CHARI DAIGNAULT
      IR
      April 27, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Chari Daignault
      EMAIL: chari.daignault@...
      AGE: 46
      LOCATION: Orlando, Florida U.S.A.
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.70 m)
      WEIGHT: 135 lb (61.20 kg)

      I've been an ultra light hiker for at least 35 years -- I take the bare minimum with me and prefer a pack under or close to 25 pounds. I've hiked all the Florida State Forest trails in Central Florida and climbed Mt. Fuji in Japan when I was nine. I have hiked dry & sandy, rough & rocky and wet & boggy trails and as a result, have found what does and doesn't work for me in terms of equipment and clothing. Central Florida affords a lot of sun and rains, with high temperatures and massive humidity. It's a great testing area for clothing, footwear and headgear.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Bridgedale Outdoor Limited
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.bridgedale.com" LINK TEXT = "www.bridgedale.com">>
      MSRP: US$ 16.95 [per North American distributor]
      Listed Weight: Not Listed
      Measured Weight: 1.8 oz (51g)
      Available Colors: Heather/damson, Stone/sage, Natural/blueberry
      Available sizes [women's only]: S [US 4-6], M [US 6.5-8], L [US 8.5-10]

      Color tested: Stone/sage
      Size tested: L

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "New In Box!" IMAGE CAPTION = "New In Box!">>

      The Trail Diva socks are comprised of the following:
      44% Nylon/polyamide
      27% Merino Wool/Laine Merino
      27% Endurofil[TM]/polypropylene
      2% Lycra[R]/elastane

      From the packaging:
      "Slim fit, light, breathable mesh permits air circulation. T2 anti compression cushioning provides lasting protection, WoolFusion[R] construction drives moisture away."

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Chart" IMAGE CAPTION = "Chart">>
      [Graphic from Manufacturer's website]

      The Trail Diva socks are a lightweight sock, designed to offer ventilation in warmer climates. Bridgedale has them as a part of their "Fast & Light" series of socks. Their suggested use is with either boots or shoes for backpacking and hiking.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      Upon receiving the Bridgedale X-Hale Trail Diva socks, I immediately removed them from their retail packaging and put my hands inside them. They are extremely soft to the touch and to me are a much thicker hiking sock than I would normally use. However, when I put them on my feet, they didn't seem thick at all; they were soft, very cushiony, and actually very light. Based on the feel of the socks and their weight, I expected them to be very warm while being worn.

      I have to admit, these are the first true trail socks I've worn. Due to the warm climate where I live, I use low-cut, thin workout socks for backpacking, day hikes and trail running. Compared to the Trail Diva socks, the socks I normally use may as well be made out of cardboard for all the cushion they afford. In the following photos you'll see, the dark green areas of the sock are called "dual pads". These areas are much more cushioned than the rest of the sock and they protect key parts of the foot: the Achilles tendon, the heel, the outside edges of the widest part of the foot along with the ball of the foot, the ankle bones and the toes. It makes for an interesting-looking sock.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Top" IMAGE CAPTION = "Top">>

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Bottom" IMAGE CAPTION = "Bottom">>

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Inside" IMAGE CAPTION = "Inside">>

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Outside" IMAGE CAPTION = "Outside">>

      The Trail Diva socks are a higher cut than I normally wear, and they come up a few inches above my ankle bone like a crew sock. I think this will afford greater protection of my ankles and the extreme lower end of my legs from sand flea bites and from any muck that gets thrown up while I'm hiking or running. I will be watching for this during my test.

      TRYING IT OUT

      I wore them around the house the evening they arrived while wearing rubber clogs. They are so comfortable! I always wear rubber clogs as house shoes and never wear socks inside the house. I walked 1 mile [1.6 km] on the treadmill, rode a recumbent bike and actually forgot I had the Trail Divas on until I went to take my bath. They are so soft and light and do not constrict at all. The friction from wearing the rubber clogs with them caused a bit of shedding or pilling on the outside of the socks, but I think it's because the socks are new and unwashed. I'll see if the extra "pookies" come off in the wash.

      The area along the top of the foot up to the front of the ankle is breathable mesh and appears to allow ventilation. My feet did not get overheated or sweaty while wearing the socks in rubber clogs during my small workout. Merino wool has a natural resistance to odor, so I am curious to see while testing if that assists with keeping the Trail Divas from getting stinky after a vigorous workout.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      I will be wearing the X-Hale Trail Diva socks for as many of my trail runs, bike rides, day hikes and backpacking/camping trips as I can. I received two pair, so keeping up with the wash is my only obstacle. If they stay dry, clean and relatively odor-free during use, I think I will experiment with wearing each pair at least two times before washings.

      I will be looking to test for comfort, durability, ease of cleaning, odor-resistance and how well they protect my feet in heat and moisture-filled environments. I will also report on anything else I may find out while testing.

      SUMMARY

      So far, I am in love with these socks. If I could, I'd wear them to work... who knows, I may just do that!

      This concludes my Initial Report. Please check back in about two months for my Field Report. Many thanks to Bridgedale and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test these socks.

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
    • Jamie D.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2009
        Hi Chari,
        I saw your IR and I'll get through your edits (if there are any) this weekend.

        Jamie D
        Bridgedale Trail Diva Monitor

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "CLD" <chari.daignault@...> wrote:

        > For your editing pleasure! HTML version here: http://tinyurl.com/cghusk
        >
        > BRIDGEDALE X-HALE TRAIL DIVA SOCKS
        > TEST SERIES BY CHARI DAIGNAULT
        > IR
        > April 27, 2009
        >
        > TESTER INFORMATION
        >
        > NAME: Chari Daignault
        > EMAIL: chari.daignault@...
      • Jamie D.
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2009
          Hi Chari,

          These look like neat socks. I'm looking forward to yours and the other lady's results. Your HTML and pics looks great. Good idea taking shots with your foot in the sock. I only found one thing to comment on, no edits.

          Jamie D
          Test Monitor
          Bridgedale X-Hale Trail Diva Socks

          ## Suggestion – I recommend including your shoe size in your bio for this test. Seams relevant to me.
        • CLD
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2009
            Hey Jamie! Thanks for the "edits"! :)

            I'll edit the info section to include my shoe size. Good call.

            Thanks!

            -- Chari
            "Not all who wander are lost"