IR - Bridgedale Trail Diva socks - Pam

  • pamwyant
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2009
      Hi John,

      Glad to be working with you on this series. Here for your editing pleasure is my Initial Report on the Bridgedale Trail Diva socks.

      Pam

      *****************

      HTML here:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Trail%20Diva%20-%20Pam/

      OR: http://tinyurl.com/cvxn8h

      Bridgedale Trail Diva Socks

      Initial Report - April 26, 2009

      Tester Information:

      Name: Pam Wyant
      Age: 51
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
      Weight: 170 lb (77 kg)
      Shoe size: US women's 9 medium

      E-mail address: pamwyant(at)yahoo(dot)com
      Location: Western West Virginia, U.S.A.

      Backpacking Background:

      Pursuing a long-time interest, I started backpacking five years ago. In addition to day-hiking and weekend backpacking trips I try to do one longer trip each year. A couple of years ago I began a project to section hike the Appalachian Trail (AT), accruing a little over 250 mi (400 km) so far. My backpacking style always seems to be evolving somewhat, and I like trying different gear and techniques. I can probably best be described as lightweight and minimalist; cutting as much pack weight as I can without sacrificing warmth, comfort, or safety

      Initial Report - April 26, 2009

      Product Information:
      Manufacturer: Bridgedale
      Year of manufacture: 2009
      Model: Women's X-Hale Trail Diva
      Color: Stone/sage
      Size: Large

      Manufacturer specified weight: not listed
      Measured weight: 46 g (1.7 oz)

      Website: http://www.bridgedale.com/
      MSRP: not given

      Photo - Bridgedale X-Hale Trail Diva socks

      Product Description:

      Photo - As packaged

      The X-Hale Trail Diva socks are part of Bridgedale's 'Fast & Light Styles' line, "designed to be worn with lighter, more breathable footwear in warmer conditions and during more fast moving activities". They are described as "fast & vented" on both the website and the packaging. The socks are constructed with Bridgedale's WoolFusion technology. Their website describes this as combining the highest quality natural yarns with performance microfibers, for socks that perform to the "highest level" for enduring comfort - hard wearing, warm when needed, and wicking away excess moisture.

      The Trail Diva packaging list their fibre content as 44% Nylon/polyamide; 27% Merino Wool/Laine Merino; 27% Endurofil/polypropylene; and 2% Lycra/elastane. They have a 3 year guarantee according to both the packaging and the website, since they are constructed with WoolFusion technology. (Products without WoolFusion have a 1 year guarantee, according to the website.) The website indicates if the purchaser is not satisfied with the quality and performance, the socks should be returned to the place of purchase, with a proof of purchase.

      The Trail Diva socks are what I consider low crew height, extending about 2 in (5 cm) above my ankles. The sock is relatively thin, with thicker cushioned sections at the heel, toe, and ball of the foot. The cushioning in the ball area extends up the sides, for extra cushioning in the widest section of my foot, an area often subject to pressure from my shoes. The socks are technical in appearance, having several different weaves and color patterns, including a rib knit around the arch and ankle areas, and a mesh-like weave on much of the section that goes over the top of the foot.

      Information on the website indicates Bridgedale's women's socks are specifically made to fit the female foot, being lower volume with a narrower heel and higher instep, for "superb fit". It also indicates the Lycra is used in specific zones, including the area under the arch, above the heel, and at the cuff, to improve fit and to help ensure the socks stay up.

      Photo - Tops and bottoms of the Trail Diva

      Trying them out:

      The socks felt very soft right out of the package, and even softer when I placed them on my feet. They fit well, with the arch having noticeable, yet comfortable, compression. The toe box is roomy, without being too loose. The heel conforms well to the shape of my foot. The sock tops are comfortable - snug enough to stay up, but not so tight that they feel binding.

      I wore them this past weekend - all weekend long - to one of our local Girl Scout camps where I spent a lot of time on my feet. The Trail Divas performed very well. They stayed up, felt adequately cushioned under foot, and in spite of temperatures in the 80 F (27 C) range, my feet stayed cool and comfortable.

      Preliminary Impressions:

      The appearance of the Trail Diva socks is consistent with what I expected from viewing the website information. Performance so far seems very good, with the socks staying put well, being comfortable, and keeping my feet cool and dry even in very warm weather.
      More to come:
      This concludes my Initial Report. Please check back for field testing results in late June.

      Thanks to Bridgedale and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test the Trail Diva socks.
    • pamwyant
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 27, 2009
        Oops. John was the call manager. This should have read "Hi Jamie". Sorry about that. My face is red.

        Pam

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "pamwyant" <pamwyant@...> wrote:

        > Hi John,
        >
        > Glad to be working with you on this series. Here for your editing pleasure is my Initial Report on the Bridgedale Trail Diva socks.
        >
        > Pam

      • Jamie D.
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2009
          Hi Pam,

          Nice to be working with you too. The HTML looks great. I really liked your pics. They compliment your comments about the different weaves and such very well. Only found a couple things. Here are my edits/comments/suggestions for the LTR. They are marked with ##.

          Jamie D
          Test Monitor
          Bridgedale X-Hale Trail Diva Socks

          ##Edit – Your missing a period at the end of your bio

          The Trail Diva packaging list their fibre content as 44% Nylon/polyamide;

          ##Edit – "lists" and is fibre misspelled or is that the Euro way?

          ##Comment – the size of the socks is listed as Large. Do they give a shoe size range for this listing? If so, I would recommend including that in your product info. It's very helpful to those of us who don't always fit in the woman's sizes.