Test Application - REPOST Petzl Tikka XP Headlamp - Chuck Carnes

  • Chuck Carnes
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2005
      Petzl Tikka XP Headlamp Test Application

      Please review and accept my application to test the
      Petzl Tikka XP Headlamp.
      I have read the Survival guide 1202 and in particular
      chapter 5 and agree to follow all guidelines within.

      Biographical Information:
      Name: Chuck Carnes
      Age: 35
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6’0” (1.83 m)
      Weight: 175 lbs. (79 kg)

      Email address: ctcarnes1(at)yahoo(dot)com

      City, State, Country: Greenville, S.C. United States

      Date: August 2, 2005

      Backpacking Background:
      I love the outdoors – I’ve spent time camping in
      the outdoors since I was born, and have been actively
      hiking and backpacking for the past ten years. I
      consider myself a lightweight hiker, usually carrying
      20 – 30 pounds (11-13 kg) for hikes up to a week in
      length. I hike at an easy pace, averaging 2 mph (3
      kph). I am a one man tent camper for now until
      something I like better comes along. I like to carry a
      single trekking pole when I hike to help relieve
      stress to my legs and knees. I like to get out on the
      trail as often as I can.

      Field Information:
      Planned Trips:
      I plan to test the Petzl Tikka XP Headlamp on several
      different planed backpacking trips throughout this 4
      month test. I will be backpacking in the Smokey
      Mountains and Pisgah National Forest at least twice in
      this testing period (3 days and 2 nights at each trip
      which makes 4 nights). My other trips will be locally
      at a near by park that I visit frequently with my
      family. I plan to do at least 3 or 4 overnighters to
      this park that would make a total of about 7 or 8
      nights that are planned. I sometimes do spur of the
      moment trips with my sons when we just get the urge to
      go backpacking. I would say at least 2 or 3 of those
      throughout the testing period.

      Elevations and Temperatures:
      The elevation is about 6643 ft (2025 m) in the Smoky
      Mountains and at Pisgah, the elevation will be around
      6200 ft (1890 m). The temperatures during the time of
      testing will be 40F to 50F (4C to 10C) during the day
      and 10F to 30F (-12 to -1C) at night, sometimes below
      zero. I will note weather conditions at the time of
      testing.

      Background for this test:
      I currently use a headlamp during the night in camp
      such as cutting wood, reading and eating. I also use a
      headlamp during trail hiking and middle of the night
      bathroom excursions. I also use a headlamp around the
      house for situations that normally require a
      flashlight. The headlamp keeps my hands free.

      Test Plan:
      If I am accepted and given the privilege, I intend to
      test the Petzl Tikka XP Headlamp for its durability
      during everyday camp use. Most, if not all, of the
      following scenarios will be taken place at night or in
      the dark.

      As a long term test I will see if the headlamp is
      durable enough to withstand the constant bumping and
      dropping that sometimes takes place during camp set up
      and take down. I will test the lamp for stability and
      accuracy of the beam while cutting firewood, cooking,
      reading, hiking and other various tasks. Site
      distances will be tested and noted at various settings
      and declination if applicable. The web site states
      there is a battery level indicator. It says that it
      alerts when the batteries are approximately 70% and
      90% discharged. Is this an audible alarm along with
      the visual indicator or is it just visual? Once the
      battery indicator gives the alert of the batteries
      discharging, how long will the light continue to burn?
      Do the lights have a noticeable decrease in light and
      power as they are discharging? If so, is it very slow
      to give me time to change the batteries before I am
      sitting in the dark? How easy is it to change the bulb
      and batteries? Do I need a tool to access the bulb and
      battery compartment? Does it have an extra bulb? If
      not, can I find one at most stores that carry bulbs or
      are they hard to find? I will keep an estimated time
      log on the life of the batteries and bulbs. With the
      simple design and construction of the headlamp, how
      compact can it get to be placed in a backpack or
      pocket?

      Comfort, to me, is very important when it comes to
      headlamps. I usually wear a baseball cap while hiking
      or at camp. Can I wear the baseball cap and the light
      on the headband together? If a hat can be worn, does
      the brim of the hat affect the declination of the
      light beam? I would also like to see if I am able to
      use one hand to operate the headlamp, such as turning
      it on and off and adjusting, while on the headband.
      Since the headband has no over-the-head strap, will
      the headlamp have a tendency to slide down during
      walks? How comfortable is the headlamp on the forehead
      for an extended length of time? Does the headlamp feel
      front heavy or is it comfortable and light enough to
      not notice?

      Waterproof tests will be performed in the field if
      cases of rain occur. If accidents of dropping the
      headlamp in a river or lake has not occurred by the
      end of the review, I will submerge the headlamp in
      water to test the effects if this happening in the
      field. Does the light still work? Does water get into
      the bulb compartment? Will it short out or become dim?
      If and when the headlamp is to be cleaned, how easy is
      it to disassemble to perform this task? Is there a
      waterproof seal that is not to be broken?

      I hope to answer most, if not all, of these questions
      in my Field and Long Term Report. If I am chosen to
      test the Petzl Tikka XP Headlamp, I will conduct a
      full examination of the light and all of its features.
      I have assessed my current work load as a tester and I
      am aware of the projected due dates for this test and
      I feel that this test will not hinder any of my
      upcoming reports. See below for current phase of gear
      that I am testing. Thank you Petzl and BGT for the
      opportunity to be considered for this test.

      Gear that I am currently testing and their progress
      phase:
      Titanium Goat Vertex 5 Tent: Long Term Field Testing
      (LTR due August 23, 2005)
      Ultimate Direction Cohiba Backpack: Long Term Field
      Testing (LTR due Sept. 13, 05)

      Currently Monitor for:
      IBEX Outdoor Clothing Approach Tights
      Tilley Endurables LTM6
      “A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike” Book

      Currently a Mentor for:
      Dave Hjelmar

      Completed Tests:
      Princeton Tec EOS Headlamp
      OR Motion Fleece Balaclava
      OR Celestial Gaiters
      Princeton Tec Scout Headlamp
      Xikar 138 Excel Knife
      OR Hydrolite Stuff Sack
      Paxtons Sandle Saver
      Big Agnes Hog Park Sleeping Bag
      Big Agnes REM Hinman Sleeping Pad
      Big Agnes Seedhouse 3 Tent
      Macabi Skirt for Men
      Frogg Toggs Pro Sport Suit
      Shock Doctor Ultra 2 Footbeds
      Thorlo Level 3 Hiking Socks

      Owner Reviews Uploaded:
      Gregory Lassen Backpack
      Mountain Hardware Nickel Cigar Sleeping Bag
      Coleman Camp Stool`
      Moonstone Rain Jacket
      Apple iPod 40 GB

      2 Previously Written Reports:
      OR Motion Fleece Balaclava:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Hats/OR%20Motion%20Fleece%20Balaclava/Chuck%20Carnes/Long%20Term%20Report/

      OR Celestial Gaiters:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Rain%20Gear/Gaiters/Outdoor%20Research%20Celestial%20Gaiters/Chuck%20Carnes/Long%20Term%20Report/

      Other Reviews and Reports By Chuck Carnes:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ctcarnes1

      http://mail.yahoo.com