Application - Osprey Atmos 65 - Ed Morse

  • Edwin Morse
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2009
      Please add my application to your rapidly growing list. Just keep this one on top of the pile so it is one of the three selected.

      Ed M

      Application - Osprey Atmos 65 - Ed Morse

      Please accept my application to test the Osprey Atmos 65 pack. I have read and agree to comply with the newly revised Backpackgeartest bylaws, v. 0609. I will pay careful attention to Chapters 4, 5 and 6 and the new test format. I have been notified that my tester agreement is on file.

      Name: Edwin Morse
      Age: 71
      Gender: male
      Height: 5' 8" (173 cm)
      Weight: 145 lb (65 kg)
      Email address: ed dot morse at charter dot net
      City, State, Country: Grawn, Michigan, U.S.
      Date: April 1, 2009

      Backpacking background:
      I started backpacking in 1979 with two weeks in northern Michigan, along the shore of Lake Superior. My gear was cheap, heavy and painful. Starting pack weight was just over 70 lb (32 Kg), with food but no water. Since the first trip I have backpacked in Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania. After about 12 years I started slowly reducing my pack weight. I keep trying new things to see what really works.

      My total pack weight has recently varied from 25 lb (12 kg) for overnight trips and up to 37 lb starting 2 week hikes. I carry a few extra items on all my hikes; GPS for daily mileage, camera for pictures, and a thermometer to record daily (and nightly) temperatures. I am also reviewing several new pieces of gear to do Owner Reviews next year. My basic gear changes with each trip while I decide what combination works best for me (this may never happen) and test new items. Since I'm retired I can be out almost whenever I get the urge to go. Most short trips will be planned the day before I go. This is easy since I help maintain over 130 mi (209 km) of the North Country Trail (NCT).
      I do NOT intentionally backpack when there is snow on the ground.

      I recently hiked through the Ocala National Forest in Florida. My starting pack weight was 31 lb (14 kg) with food for eight days and water for one day. I had planned the hike for six days of walking. I was actually out for five nights and five days. I was carrying 2.5 lb (1.1 kg) of test gear I will not take backpacking again.

      Field information:

      Within 50 mi (81 Km) of where I live are the Manistee National Forest, the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, 3 State Parks and 3 State Forests. Most have trails for hiking and skiing and many acres of dunes and forests for off trail travel. Backpacking is available in the Sleeping Bear Dunes, the Manistee National Forest and all the State Forests. The elevation in this area varies from about 600 feet (183 m) at Lake Michigan to over 1200 feet (366 m) farther inland.
      An easy day's drive gets me to trails in the Upper Peninsula with another national forest, hundreds of miles of the North Country Trail and a boat to Isle Royale.

      I thought there was a lot of information on the website. I still have a few questions since important information, to me, was missing. Even with recommendations, I don't know what gear and clothing will work for me until I try it in field conditions. If selected I will certainly provide the Osprey Atmos 65 with some backpacking experience. I will carry it for all my backpacking during the test period.

      I have two backpacking trips in planning stages. The first, in May, will be about 130 miles (209 km) in Minnesota. The average high temperature at this time and place is 56 F (13 C) while the average low is 38 F (3 C). I assume temperatures will be both warmer and colder than the average. Since this is lake country I will expect the terrain to be often low and wet and often high and steep ridges with mostly evergreen forests. The second, in June, will be four days on South Manitou Island in Lake Michigan. The average high temperature at this time and place is 74 F (23 C) while the average low is 53 F (12 C). I will plan on temperatures both warmer and colder than the average.

      Before each of these trips I will do a few over night hikes to check and refine the gear I will carry. These short trips will be in the nearby Manistee National Forest (MNF) or the Pere Marquette State Forest, generally one or two nights each time to make sure the gear all works. The Manistee National Forest is in north central Lower Michigan. The Pere Marquette State Forest is north and east of the MNF, with more good trails for backpacking and skiing. I will also do at least two overnights in the Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore along the shore of Lake Michigan usually up in the dunes.

      Test plan:

      Depending on delivery time, I would expect to carry the Osprey Atmos 65 at least 15 days of backpacking this spring and summer. My most important criteria is function; all my equipment must work for its intended purpose. I take care of my equipment but I expect it all to survive normal use without harm. My pack must comfortably carry everything I will need.

      During the test period I will seek answers for the following questions:

      What does the Osprey Atmos 65 weigh?
      Will the Osprey Atmos 65 carry all my gear?
      Will Osprey Atmos 65 tensioned breathable mesh really keep my back dry?
      Will the floating top pocket be adaptable for use as a daypack?
      Will the "Stow-on-the-Go trekking pole attachment" work with non-adjustable trekking poles?
      How easy is it to stow my poles?
      Can I really stow my poles on the go?
      Can I easily get the poles off and in use while hiking?
      Are the "2 side zippered front pockets" access to the pack interior or are they actually separate pockets?
      What can I carry in the hip belt pockets?
      Is the stretch pocket on the front of the pack big enough to be useful?
      When I'm on week or longer backpack trips will it pack easily?
      Then there is that all important question; does the pack feel heavy when I load all my gear and food for a week?

      How durable is the Osprey Atmos 65?
      Will the pack clean easily after a week of hiking and bushwhacking?
      Will the Osprey Atmos 65 pack stand up to four months of frequent hard use in the woods?

      In addition to the above questions I am sure I will think of more questions as I use the Osprey Atmos 65 pack. I will describe my experiences with the Osprey Atmos 65 pack, including any problems I find. I will also include several pictures, both to show visible details and also to show the Osprey Atmos 65 pack in use.

      Thank you for considering my application to test the Osprey Atmos 65 pack.

      If selected my first choice would be the Green Apple and second the Aspen Gold in size medium.

      Previously written reports: I recently completed the LTR for the OR Stormtracker gloves, the Bilt Vite Stainless water bottle and the Freestyle Nomad watch.
      I am working on two test series; the MSR Skinny One tent and the Guyotdesigns Squishy Bowl Set. I have been accepted to test the Kuru Chicane hiking shoes but they haven't arrived yet.

      Tests and reviews I have written may be found at the following location: