POST: FR-Gordini Fever Gloves - Chuck Carnes

  • Chuck Carnes
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2009
      So for being so extremely late. I just couldn't get it finished.

      FR-Gordini Fever Gloves - Chuck Carnes

      GORDINI
      F E V E R
      Gloves

      Initial Report: November 30, 2008
      Field Report: March 3, 2009

      I haven't been able to use the Gordini Fever gloves much in the field but I was able to take them on a two night weekend trip right before Christmas. My son and I took a short trip to Jones Gap where we took a short jaunt to the camp site. It was only about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) in from the parking lot. We decided to stay at this campsite for both nights as we worked on some Boy Scout related items. The temperature for the weekend was around 30 F to 40 F (-1 C to 4 C) at night. We did not experience any rain on this trip or much wind. The elevation was 1,215 ft. (370 m) according to my altimeter on my watch.

      The gloves came in very handy as it got pretty cold on those two nights. My fingers are very prone to getting cold very easily. Gloves are my best friend when the temperatures drop and I have a hard time finding some that will keep not only my hands warm but most of all, my fingertips. I found the Gordini Fever gloves did exactly what I am looking for in a glove.

      I put the gloves on when the cool night started to set in. I had them on as I prepared my diner and found that they worked fine as far as the movement of my fingers in such a thick fingered glove. I was able to start my stove, cook and eat all while the gloves kept my fingers and hands warm. Another test was going to be the cold mornings while breaking camp. Most of the time this is when my fingers get numb even in some of the thickest gloves that I own. When I start breaking down the tent and putting my hands on frosted over material and cold stakes and poles, that cold transfers through the material in the gloves and makes my fingers very cold. I found the Fever gloves prevented this from happening which was very exciting to me. I seriously was waiting for my fingers to start getting really cold but they never did; this is a winner for me. Even as I packed my pack both mornings my hands never got sweaty from the heat generation.

      I have also worn these gloves around my house on a couple of snowy days while playing in the yard with my kids and making snow balls. Again the gloves worked perfectly. My hands were in the wet snow for at least a couple of hours and the inside of the gloves never felt wet and the cuffs on the gloves kept the snow from entering in through the cuff area. My hands stayed warm and comfortable the entire time I was out there.

      So far I really like the Gordini Fever gloves. They are exactly what I am looking for in a glove when it comes to keeping my hands warm and dry and my fingers very nimble. The only thing that I don't like is the elastic band that is sewn to the inside hem on each cuff. These are used to put around the wrist as they are put on so the user can remove the gloves and they can hang from the wrist so as to not set them down and lose them. I don't use them in that way and just about every time I placed my hands in the gloves, my fingers would catch the loop and it would get stuck in the fingers or the palm area of the glove and cause discomfort. I would have to remove the gloves to hold the elastic band away from my hand as I inserted my hand into the glove. But that is very minor and it can be worked around.

      This concludes my Field Report.
      Check back in April for my Field Report
      Thank you Gordini and BackpackGearTest.org for this opportunity.