Re: EXTENDED: TEST CALL: Any idea what a Trabagon is?

  • André Corterier
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2009
      > Application to test the White Sierra Trabagon Jacket - André

      01 April 09

      I have read and understood the BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v. 0609
      (in particular, chapter 5) and agree to fulfill all requirements
      within. My signed tester agreement is on file.

      Biographical Information:

      Age: 37
      Gender: m
      Height: 1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)
      Weight: 80 kg (175 lb)
      Chest: 100 cm (39.5 in)
      Waist: 84 cm (33 in)
      Reach: (sternum to touching fingers) 72 cm (29.5 in)
      Arm length (shoulder to wrist): 58 cm (23 in)
      Standard clothing size: M-L
      Email address: andreDOTcorterierATfreenetDOTde
      Location: Bonn, Germany

      Backpacking Background:
      I have started out with backpacking slowly – single-day 24 km (15 mi)
      jaunts by myself or even shorter hikes in the company of my little
      daughter. I am getting started on longer hikes, as a lightweight
      packer and tarp or hammock-camper. I've begun upgrading my old gear
      and am now carrying a dry FSO weight (everything carried From the
      Skin Out except food, fuel and water) of less than 9 kg (20 lb) for
      three-season camping.

      Why and how I want to test this (Test Plan):

      Well, it appears that applications are in short supply and what with this test call being extended (and the actual test period therefore presenting less and less of an overlap with the Rime pullover jacket I'm testing) *and* there being free international shipping, I thought having a rain jacket along to test never hurts. Spring around here tends to get lots of precipitation, and then there are the summer squalls.

      So what I propose to do with this jacket is to stuff it in its own pocket, then stuff that package into my everyday daypack (relocating it to whatever daypack/child carrier I may be using in its stead when out on proper backpacking excursions) and take it out to wear whenever conditions warrant. Obviously, that means heavy rain. But, whenever I'm not wearing the Rime pullover I am also testing (which I don't wear every day, though I'll be wearing it on backpacking excursions until 30 June).

      There shouldn't be more than two months of overlap on these tests, and even before the Rime LTR I should have ample opportunity to use this rain jacket when I'm wearing something else. And anyway, the moment the Rime jacket shows signs of wetting through, I'll put this jacket on over it and see whether, with the help of whatever ventilation and breathability the Trabagon provides, I can dry it out a bit with body heat.

      Particular Features:

      There's not much information on the website. The jacket supposedly stores in its own jacket - that might be good, I'll try that out. This also tells me that the jacket has a pocket. Maybe more than one? I'll count them, and see how useful I find them over the test period, too.
      There's a "ventilation" logo on the site as well - does this mean the jacket has pit zips? Once my IR is up, you'll know. And by the time of my LTR, you'll know if I found them useful and whether I've had to resort to their use often (quite likely, as this test will end in summer).
      It's got a hood, too - always good on a rain jacket. Whether it's adjustable or no is something the site is silent on. My IR will be rather more verbose on the subject, and FR and/or LTR will shed some light on whether the degree of adjustability encountered was deemed to be sufficient by this supplicant, uhm, applicant.

      Oh, yeah, and it says the jacket is lightweight. I like lightweight gear - but aside from that, of course I'll let you know what my gram scale claims this baby actually weighs.

      Testing Location and Probable Conditions

      In this region, the probable test period (late April or May to August or thereabouts) will typically see temps between 5, maybe 10 C (40, maybe 50 F) and 35 C (95 F). For precipitation we'll have fog and drizzle as well as
      rain. Summer has an annoying habit of dumping stormy loads of water on me, though of course I can't promise to be caught out in a squall like that. I'll make every effort to head out with this jacket should I witness one from inside, however.

      I plan lots of day trips - as usual. They usually occur around here, in hilly, forrested terrain which starts a 15 minute
      walk from where I live and extends for about 30 km (20 mi) in most
      directions. This includes hikes in the Kottenforst State Park, the
      Siebengebirge Nature Preserve (Seven Mountains – bit of a misnomer
      there, they top out at 461 m / 1512 ft), the River Rhine and the Ahr
      Valley. Elevations range from 60 m / 200 ft to the above-mentioned
      461 m / 1512 ft, paths tend to be well-maintained though I do not
      always stick to them.

      Also, there's a three-day, two night weekend at the end of May in the German-Luxembourg Nature preserve solidly planned, a business trip to Brisbane which I'll be extending by 2 days to take in the weekend and allow me to hike one of the the Gold Coast Trails or Gold Coast Hinterland trails. It appears that I'll also be in Malawi in July (that's winter there, though I'm not sure how likely rain is going to be) and hope to get some hiking done there as well.

      In addition to that, I'll do the occsional overnighter with one or both of my daughters (to get the required nights of testing the Appy Trails Mark III in).

      I can (and do) promise the equivalent of at least two nights spent
      out during the FR phase and at least another three during the LTR
      phase, likely much more.

      I am currently testing Backcountry.com Rime pullover (FR coming up at the end of the month), the Appy Trails Mark III tarp (IR just uploaded) and the Fozzil Solo pack (awaiting shipment).

      I am currently active as a Monitor, Mentor, and Editor.

      Should I be chosen for this test, I would like the jacket in Sage, failing that, either black or burnt yellow.

      Their sizing chart says I should get a size "M", though that scares
      me. I've rarely had a size "M" long-sleeve garment not be too short
      in the sleeves for me. As a rain jacket too short in the sleeves is nearly useless and I don't mind a bit of room for layering (this jacket is not advertised as a tight fit), I'd like the jacket in size "L".

      I will be OOP starting the day after tomorrow until 15 April. Just in case, here's my shipping address:
      André Corterier
      Blaumeisenweg 17
      53123 Bonn
      Germany

      phone is +49 228 6199180
      email is andre.corterier@...

      Remember, "sage" and "L". ;-)

      André
      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Christensen <bigdawgryan@...> wrote:

      > This Test Call was scheduled to end @ Midnight, Tuesday, March 31. However, since there have been no applications submitted thus far (that I was able to find) I am extending this test call until Midnight, Friday, April 3.
      <snip>

      btw, yahoo's search function has been downright awful lately. It wouldn't find any post with "Ascensionist" in it for me, even though there are tons of mentions of the test (apps, reports, other apps mentioning participation, you name it). Can you imagine how many times I went over the spelling to make sure I had it correct? Groan.
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2009
        Andre,

        You may want to properly formulate your subject and include your full name
        at the top of the Biographical Information.

        Shane

        ***