APPLICATION - Vasque Breeze LT GTX - David Wyman

  • davewyman99
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2009
      Please accept my application to test the Vasque Breeze LT GTX. My
      test agreement is on file and I agree to comply with all the report
      requirements, including Chapter 5, found in the BackpackGearTest
      bylaws v0609.

      TESTER INFORMATION
      NAME: David Wyman
      EMAIL: wyman -at- wymanhq -dot- com
      AGE: 31
      LOCATION: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
      GENDER: Male
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 175 lb (79.40 kg)

      While I've been camping for years, I've only been backpacking for a
      short time. As a fairly new backpacker, I'm still trying to find the
      right equipment so I usually have a mid- to heavy-weight pack
      (working on that) and I alternate between my tent and hammock. I do
      quite a number of short trips in the Pennsylvania (PA) state parks
      (Raccoon Creek and Ohiopyle mostly) and longer trips are usually up
      in the Allegheny National Forest. My dog almost always comes along
      on the longer hikes, and my wife and toddler join me on the shorter
      ones.

      Trip Plans:

      Planned trips include several day hikes in local state parks
      throughout the spring and summer seasons as well as (at least) two
      multi-night trips into Allegheny National Forest. Both trips will
      likely be in the Tracy Ridge area of the forest with hikes along
      portions of the North Country Trail and camping at Handsome Lake/Hopewell
      as well as dispersed camping. I'll also be in Denver, Colorado in May
      and plan on getting in a brief overnight trip into the Rockies.

      Weather conditions for the day hikes will find temperatures ranging
      from 80 F down to 40 F (27 C to 5 C), often over just a few hours,
      and I will be hiking, camping, and backpacking at altitudes ranging
      from sea level up to 3000 ft (914 m) with the Rocky Mountain trip ranging
      up between 8000 and 12000 feet (2400 to 3700 m). I expect to encounter
      quite a few rainstorms and occasional bouts of heavy wind.

      Testing Goals:

      Footwear is one of the areas of gear that I'm sorely lacking. My current
      hiking/backpacking is either wearing a standard pair of crosstrainers or
      a pair of surplus army boots. These choices are barely adequate and usually
      end up leaving my feet sore, cramped, and slightly blistered. The boots
      are a bit on the heavy side as well, so my legs are usually more tired
      than they should be after a long hike. Lately, the lack of support has
      left my ankles and knees sore as well.

      If I'm selected for this test, I will be looking at several aspects of
      the Vasque Breeze shoes:

      * Comfort - how heavy are they and, more importantly, how heavy do they
      feel? How well do they fit my feet and, after a bit of breaking in, do
      they leave my feet cramped or blistered? Do they have enough support and
      cushioning to keep my knees from complaining?

      * Water resistance - though not advertised as being water-proof or -resistant,
      how well do they keep out the rain and puddles I expect to encounter? And,
      once wet, how well and quickly do they dry?

      * Craftmanship/maintenance - how well do they hold up after hiking through
      wet/muddy/rocky terrain? How easy are they to clean? Do the laces handle
      serious use?

      * Field use - how well do they maintain traction in muddy or rocky terrain?
      How well do they handle overgrown paths - do they catch easily on
      branches/burrs/etc? Do they have enough ankle support?

      If selected, these shoes will be the sole (no pun intended) footwear that
      I wear outdoors throughout the test. They will see wet, muddy hikes down
      in the Laurel Highlands along the Youghiogheny river. They will see rougher
      terrain on my backpacking trips into Allegheny National Forest.

      Current Tests:

      White Sierra - Sierra Rain Jacket (waiting for arrival)

      Fozzils - solo Pack (IR in progress)

      Pending Applications:

      I am also applying for the Cache Lake Egg Meals.

      My previous reviews can be found at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/cybrus.

      Thank you in advance for considering this application and a special thanks
      to Vasque for providing this testing opportunity.