Revised application for the Petzl Tikka XP by Ralph Ditton

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2005
      I have now included tinyurl for my reviews because in my original
      application only one line showed up as a hyperlink as opposed to two lines.

      Date: 1/8/05

      Survival Guide:

      I have read and understood the current requirements in the Survival Guide
      (version v. 1202 as of 8.5.05) and I agree to comply with all these
      requirements as a tester. I also have signed a tester agreement which is on
      file with Mr. Shane Steinkamp dated 7th March, 2005 and has been
      acknowledged by Stephanie Martin on the 27th April, 2005.

      Personal Information::

      Name: Ralph Ditton

      Age: 53

      Height: 1. 76 m (174 lb)

      Email: rdassetts@...

      City: Perth, Western Australia.

      Backpacking Background::

      I only took up backpacking seriously some four years ago. I have been
      walking the Bibbulmun Track in sections. My goal is to complete the 964 km
      (603 mi) and become an end to end walker. So far I have completed
      approximately two-thirds of the Track from North to South, and a quarter in
      the opposite direction.

      I have evolved from carrying a heavyweight load-approximately 28 kg, (62 lb)
      including food and water-to being a midweight backpacker, averaging 18 kg
      (38 lb) at the start of a trip. I am hoping to purchase gear that is lighter
      still. My trips are usually between three to five days duration.

      Testing Locations::

      Bibbulmun Track - Sea level to 585 metres elevation (0 to 1,920 ft). Within
      this region I backpack along old forestry roads, sandy tracks, and purpose
      built walking tracks.

      Temperatures will range during the testing period, from a minimum -3 C to 33
      C (26 F to 91 F) during June to November of 2005,

      Prickly Bark campsite on the Coastal Plain Trail roughly 200 m (656 ft)
      elevation. The trail from the eastern terminus to the campsite is a sandy
      track that is mostly flat with a steep climb up a sand dune over the last
      half a kilometre (0.31 mi) to the campsite.

      Temperatures can range from -5 C to 35 C (23 F to 95 F) during June to
      January.

      Testing Activities:

      I will be going on overnighters and extended trips ranging from three to
      five days backpacking, sometimes walking solo and/or with one or two
      friends.

      Testing Conditions:

      It is now winter and well into the wet season where rain can be expected at
      least one day/night during a bushwalking trip.

      Some nights and mornings are shrouded in fog, especially at campsites
      located at the bottom of gullies and hills.

      Invariably, the vegetation is dripping wet from either rain or dew early in
      the morning when hiking on the track.

      The headlamp would be used around the campsite and in the three sided huts
      and in my tent should I miss out on a spot in the hut.

      Test Strategy:

      I currently own a Petzl Duo E60 that has a standard 6 V Halogen globe and
      five 5 mm (0.2 in) LED lights arranged in a tight circle and weighs 290 g
      (10.23 oz) with batteries.

      In addition to using my headlamp around campsites, I also use it around my
      home when looking for items in my shed, checking out our vehicles during the
      night when I hear unusual noises around them to make sure no one is up to
      mischief, under the floorboards and in the ceiling to check on any potential
      termite activity and the odd water leak in the roof.

      Occasionally I use it to read in bed.

      With a wealth of experience with my headlamp I will be testing the Petzl
      Tikka XP for the following, should I be accepted:

      * What is the range of tilt that can be achieved and can I read
      comfortably when sitting on my self-inflating mattress inside my sleeping
      bag.

      * To adjust the angles of the light, is it extremely stiff to operate
      and clicky in sound when moving it.

      * How comfortable is the ergonomic elastic headband.

      * Will the headlamp slip down on my head and come to rest on the top
      of my nose and blocking my vision, as there is no central strap running from
      the rear to the front and sits on top on ones head.

      * Is the headband very easy to adjust to fit my head.

      * With all of the weight in the front, will the headlamp be
      comfortable to wear, unlike my headlamp with a battery pack at the rear.

      * Is there any padding on the base of the headlamp that is in contact
      with ones forehead, and if not, is it a negative or a plus.

      * How long do the batteries really last as opposed to the
      manufacturers claim as stated on the web site

      * Are the battery contacts prone to rust/corrosion and are they
      stainless steel or copper.

      * Is the battery life indicator really necessary, or is it gimmicky,
      because with my headlamp I can tell just by the LED light output when the
      batteries are on their way out.

      * How easy is it to open the battery compartment, replace the
      batteries, and seal the battery compartment?

      * Are the four levels of light adjustment easy to operate whilst on my
      head, or do I have to take it off to adjust the light to either maximum,
      optimum, economy or flood beam.

      * Are the switch, connections and battery compartment simple and
      rugged.

      * In its three focused light beam modes and flood, are there shadows
      and/or dark rings around the central beam.

      * Is the reflector smooth or textured? If it is textured, how
      effective is the headlamp in giving a more even light distribution and the
      impression of a clean unbroken beam.

      * When attending to a nature call during the night when other hikers
      are asleep in the hut, will the light beam be too bright and wide and
      disturb the sleeping people.

      * Is there a setting that can be achieved that will not disturb the
      sleeping hikers whilst moving around the hut getting ready for bed. I tend
      to be one of the last into bed.

      * What is the best setting for outside camp activities, eg. Cooking,
      collecting fire wood, going to the toilet, finding my way to and from the
      tent site

      * How waterproof is the headlamp? In areas of high humidity, fog and
      rain, does moisture enter the battery compartment and/or reflector unit.

      * Does the headlamp have a spare globe, or a storage space for a spare
      globe.

      * This is very important. Will there be an abundance of light to play
      Yahtzee with a group of three or four people for many hours each night and
      in turn, keep the scorer honest. If the answer is yes, what is the the best
      setting.

      Thank you for the opportunity to apply for this test and the encouragement I
      have received from long term testers.

      Currently Testing:

      Vargo 'Jet-ti" Titanium stove

      Initial Report completed 21/6/05

      Field Report due 23/8/05

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Stoves/Vargo%20Titanium%
      20Jet-ti%20stove/Ralph%20Ditton/Initial%20Report

      http://tinyurl.com/8a943

      Owner Reviews:

      Metzeler Thermo Mat

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Pads%20and%20Air%20Matt
      resses/Metzeler%20Thermo%20Mat/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ralph%20Ditton

      http://tinyurl.com/9k4bm

      Sea to Summit Kitchen Sink

      http://tinyurl.com/aclsr

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Personal%20Hygiene/Sinks/Sea%20to%20
      Summit%20The%20Kitchen%20Sink/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ralph%20Ditton

      Snowgum Storm Shelter Tent

      http://tinyurl.com/ajvjj

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Snowgum%20Storm%20She
      lter%202%20Tent/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ralph%20Ditton

      Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Sleeping Bag Liner

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Summer%20Bags%20and%20L
      iners/Sea%20to%20Summit%20Thermolite%20Reactor%20Liner/Owner%20Review%20by%2
      0Ralph%20Ditton

      http://tinyurl.com/c5bu8