Inka Dinka Doo?

  • JimSabis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
      We have been invited to test the Inka Pen, manufactured by the Inka
      Corporation. This is a really cool item for those backpackers who like to keep a
      journal, or gear testers who take field notes (hint, hint). Here is the blurb from
      the web site (http://www.inkastore.com):

      InkaTM is a compact, precision-crafted all-weather pen that is engineered to
      perform in extreme environments. With its sleek, lightweight, stainless steel
      cylindrical design and pressurized ink cartridge, it writes at any angle,
      temperature, altitude and even underwater. Perfect for the outdoor enthusiast –
      from pilot to scuba diver, mountain climber to fisherman, Inka’s innovative
      design enables it to transform from a quick-use pen to full-size writing tool. Inka
      ’s key-ring easily and securely attaches it to clothes or gear. Inka is made
      in the U.S. and has a lifetime warranty. Refills available

      This item is exempt from the one item Newbie limit. The test call will close
      next Monday night. Come and send an app while they are hot! You want this one
      badly. You know it. Get writing.

      Jim S.

      "He who laughs, lasts." - Mary Poole

    • cmcrooker
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
        Just want to say that this pen is COOL! It's a gadget lover's dream.
        I've carried one carabineered to a pack loop quite a bit. So nice
        for gear testing notes on the fly!
        Carol

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
          In a message dated 8/2/2005 1:11:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          carol@... writes:
          Just want to say that this pen is COOL! It's a gadget lover's dream.
          I've carried one carabineered to a pack loop quite a bit. So nice
          for gear testing notes on the fly!
          Carol
          ######

          It really *does* look like a neat item. I know *I* want one!

          Jim S.

        • Fuzzy
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
            INKA PEN APPLICATION

            Please accept my application to test the Inka Pen. I have read
            Chapter 5 of the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version 1202, and
            will follow all requirements.

            Tester Bio:
            Name: Chuck Kime
            Nickname: Fuzzy
            Age: 39
            Gender: Male
            Height: 5' 8" (172 cm)
            Weight: 229 lb (104 kg)
            Email address: ckime AT nelsononline DOT com
            City, State, Country: Upper Darby (Philadelphia suburb),
            Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

            Backpacking Background:
            Found at end of application.

            Backpacking Background applicable to this test:
            I am very rarely without a pen and pencil (Be Prepared), and
            regularly have many different pen choices in my briefcase, including
            felt-tip, liquid-ink, roller-ball, ballpoint, and fountain pens, plus
            highlighters, colored pencils, different eraser sticks, etc. (I used
            to be a drafter, now I'm just a pen nut). While my pen preference
            used to be for roller-ball pens, I switched to ballpoint when I began
            nursing, as waterproofness (that is a word, right?) of the ink became
            more important. I stayed with ballpoint as I got involved in Boy
            Scouts, as I did not want to abuse a good roller-ball in the field,
            and didn't want to risk loaning one out and not getting it back. I
            prefer a medium, smooth-flowing point.

            Field information:
            Our Boy Scout troop camps monthly. Almost all of these outings
            include a minimum of 2 nights of camping, with temperatures expected
            to be from lows around 30 ºF (-1 ºC) to highs around 95 to 100 ºF (35
            to 38 ºC) during the 4?month test period. Elevations will range from
            sea level to approximately 2,000' (610 m). I am invariable testing
            some piece of gear on these trips for which I need to record
            observations. Our Scoutmaster has also added monthly hikes to our
            agenda, for which a pen is useful in keeping a trip log. I will also
            carry the Inka daily, to determine how readily it can be used in my
            day-to-day life.

            I will be attentive to and/or test the following:
            · Ease of opening. How smoothly does it open? Is it easy to
            open with one hand (I use trekking poles, and often lean on one while
            doing things)? How about the other hand (I'm somewhat ambidextrous,
            and don't wish to exclude any potential users)?
            · Ease of closing. Do the various components (I see a refill,
            a barrel, a ribbed cap, and a keyring cap) re-engage readily? Is
            there a risk of stripping the threads (assuming they are threaded)?
            · Usability. Does it work well on the different writing
            materials used in my travels (basic notebook papers, clothing, pack,
            duct tape)? Is it convenient for day-to-day writing? Does it write
            well upside down, like, for example, when I'm laying on my back in a
            hammock?
            · Durability. Does the body get nicked readily? Does the
            point wear significantly (before the ink runs out)? How long does
            the refill last?
            · Comfort. How well does it fit my hand (I prefer thicker
            barreled writing instruments with a grip, as opposed to – say – a
            chromed Cross pen)? Are there any edges that cause discomfort?
            · Grip. Does it slip in my hand? How about if wet?
            · Writing quality. Does it tear wet paper, or leave a clean
            line? How does wet writing compare to dry writing? Does the ink
            bleed when used on wet paper? How about on dry paper that then gets
            wet?

            The Inka looks like it could become my new field pen. If everything
            tests out well, it will probably gain a permanent home attached to my
            daily pack that I take to work, as well as being one of the first
            items attached to my Deuter when I start packing for a trip.

            Previously Written Reports:

            Completed Tests:

            Deuter Futura 32 Day Pack (September 30, 2003)
            Tektite Trek (was Micra) Lithium Survival Light (October 17, 2003)
            AntiGravityGear Mama's Kitchen Cook Set (January 6, 2004)
            Aquamira Water Treatment (February 19, 2004)
            Integral Designs Denali Pants (April 12, 2004)
            Hot Chillys Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Top (April 14, 2004)
            Snugpak Softie 3 Merlin Sleeping Bag (May 10, 2004)
            Gregory Z Pack (June 11, 2004)
            Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain High Packcloth Gaiters (July 20, 2004)
            LEKI Pathfinder Jr. Trekking Poles (August 19, 2004)
            Outdoor Research Sahara Sombrero (November 1, 2004)
            Big Agnes Seedhouse 3 Tent (November 1, 2004)
            Equinox Rainsuit (November 9, 2004)
            Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad (December 8, 2004)
            Petzl Tikka Plus Headlamp (January 13, 2005)
            Clikstand Complete Cook Set (January 18, 2005)
            Black Diamond Carbon Fiber FlickLock Trekking Poles (April 22, 2005)

            Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo Tent (May 26, 2005)
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Six%20Moon%
            20Designs%20Lunar%20Solo/Chuck%20Kime/
            -or-
            http://tinyurl.com/3qccp

            Currently Testing Other Items:

            Tilley TH4 Hemp Hat (Field Report Uploaded 5/5)
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Hats/Tilley%20TH4%
            20Hat/Chuck%20Kime/
            -or-
            http://tinyurl.com/5m9bk

            AntiGravityGear Blue Cozy Cover(s) (Field Report Uploaded 5/9)
            Ibex Neck Gaiter (Field Report Uploaded 5/18)
            Ibex Scull Cap (Field Report Uploaded 5/13)
            Big Agnes Nugget (was Deep Creek) Sleeping Bag (not started yet)

            Owner Reviews:

            Medium ALICE External Frame Pack (March 13, 2003)
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%
            20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/US%20Military%20ALICE%20Pack/Owner%
            20Review%20by%20Chuck%20Kime/
            -or-
            http://tinyurl.com/7grc

            Victorinox Climber Swiss Army Pocket Knife (March 14, 2003)
            Leatherman PST Multi-tool (March 26, 2003)

            All of my reports/reviews may be found here:
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/chuck_kime
            -or-
            http://tinyurl.com/ver2

            Tests Currently Monitoring:

            Hennessey Super Shelter
            IBEX Roaster Boxers/Briefs
            JetBoil Pan Adapter

            Tests Previously Monitored:

            Exped Down Air Mattress (DAM)
            "The Hiker's Guide to Preparing Home-Cooked Meals on the Trail" by
            Steve Mroz
            Ex Officio BUZZ OFF Convertible Pants
            MSR OverLand Carbon Trekking Poles

            Backpacking Background:
            I started car/trailer camping with the family when I was about 5. I
            enlisted in the Army Reserve during my first year of college and
            spent 17 years fine?tuning my packing methodology – by the time I
            separated from the service, I was down to what I thought was a
            respectable 75-80 lb (34-36 kg) load. When my son started Cub
            Scouts, I brought my 60 lb (27 kg) ALICE pack for a weekend. We got
            to Boy Scouts in the Spring of 2002 and now camp monthly in locations
            ranging from the Chesapeake Bay area (flat and lightly wooded), to
            the Pocono Mountains (flat spots hard to find and very wooded), and
            in all seasons.
            Lightweight (and ultra-lightweight) web sites, advancing age,
            arthritic knees and a car accident, along with a day hike up Pikes
            Peak in July 2003, have led me to seriously rethink my gear choices,
            experiment with tarps and hammocks, make some of my own gear, and
            take a closer look at my `toys' with an eye for multi-use and light
            weight. Our troop has now added monthly hikes, taking along as many
            scouts as are willing, to a) get in shape (yeah, yeah, I know… round
            IS a shape), and b) determine what I really need to take along. I am
            relatively confident that I will be able to reduce my 3-season pack,
            now under 30 lb (13.6 kg), to 20 lb (9 kg), before food, fuel and
            water, by the time this season is over.

            Thank you for your consideration,
            Chuck Kime
            a.k.a. Fuzzy
          • Andy Mytys
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
              In the new policy regarding "Test Length", it reads, "at the discretion
              of the Moderator group, the testing time frame may be changed for
              specific tests."

              Would such a change occur in the test call, or as a surprise after
              testing started?

              The reason that I bring this up is that, depending on the testers
              selected, the upcoming pen test may be a good candidate for the "six
              month" test.

              I'd really like to see some cold-weather testing done and, at least in
              my case, a four month test (assuming it started in September) might not
              even get into sub-freezing temps.

              In general, the oncoming winter season is something to keep in mind
              when making test calls. For any test starting in the next few months
              (as opposed to say after December), if the powers-that-be feel that
              winter testing would be desireable then the test call should indicate
              the possibility of a six-month test period, IMO.
            • Chief Moderator
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
                In the interest of keeping the list as disorganized as possible and the
                tests as screwed up as possible, we're going to randomly change the
                reporting dates through out the test cycle.....just to keep you on your
                toes, Andy..........

                What do you think?

                Jerry

                _____

[...]

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                * Visit your group "backpackgeartesters
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackgeartesters> " on the web.

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                _____

              • Shane Steinkamp
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
                  > Would such a change occur in the test call, or as a surprise after
                  > testing started?

                  Test lenght is usually established in the call. Unless otherwise noted, the
                  call length is considered to be the standard 4 months.

                  Shane
                • Brian
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
                    Stick it in the freezer. LOL