RE: [backpackgeartesters] re Macpac at OR

  • Andrew Priest
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
      At 04:29 AM 1/08/2005, you wrote:
      >Good to know. I'll give them a pass.

      Hi Jerry

      I wouldn't pass them by, they still have lots of good gear and are really
      big downunder, just that my pack has seen around 2,000 km + (1240 miles)
      and is not surviving to well.

      Andrew

    • Roger Caffin
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
        > > Good to know. I'll give them a pass.
        > I wouldn't pass them by, they still have lots of good gear
        > and are really big downunder

        I agree with Andrew here on all points. If you can get Macpac on board, then I think lots of other Oz manufacturers will
        start to follow. We want this. It may also influence manufacturers in other countries as well.

        Cheers
        roger Caffin
      • Andy Mytys
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
          OTOH, recall the thorn-laden bushwhacks that Andrew goes down. Not
          necessarilly your typical environment :)

          I've got a friend that's got the Macpac Ravine and raves about its
          durability and comfort. He's got a few thousand miles on it,
          including sections of the AT, Grand Canyon trails, Alaskan tundra
          treks, hikes in the Rocky Mountains (Beartooth Wilderness), etc.
          Granted, this pack is about three years old, so maybe it was
          purchased when they still made good packs, before Andrew even got his.

          Seems to me if these guys are game for testing, why not? It's just
          like any other test series, with respect to the potential for
          different opinions and results.

          It doesn't seem in the BGT spirit to "pass" a company based on just
          one person's comments.

          Certainly, MacPac does have a solid reputation with those I talk to.
          I'd be interested in an update, and that's what we're here for, no?

          Perhaps they did have QA issues, and their 2006 line-up will have
          them corrected.

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Chief Moderator"
          <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
          > Good to know. I'll give them a pass.
          >
          > Jerry

          Priest
          > Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2005 10:40 PM
          > To: backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [backpackgeartesters] re Macpac at OR
          >

          > At 05:55 PM 29/07/2005, you wrote:
          >
          > >It used to be class gear. The move to China has caused some
          quality
          > >problems, but I would still love to see them in BGT.
          >
          > Mmm ... have a NZ made Cascade ... less than happy ... will be the
          last
          > Macpac backpack I purchase. It is off once again to Remote Repairs
          for
          > more warranty work ... third repair now.
          >
          > Andrew

        • Chief Moderator
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
            Well, we're double booked every hour, triple booked on some, and quad booked
            on a few.

            Got to sort them out someway.

            Jerry

            _____