Application Badger Balm Jenn Estrella

  • JennE
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2009
      Application to Test the Badger Products- Jenn Estrella

      Kenny please accept my application to test the Badger products. I
      have read the Backpackgeartest.org Bylaws v. 0609, especially
      Chapters 4 and 5, the Appendices, and the BGT survival guide. I have
      a full understanding of the bylaws and I will follow them to the
      fullest extent. I am testing four items at this time and I do not
      foresee any difficulty testing these items if I am selected. I have
      an LTR due on March 9th, so that would bring me down to three items.
      I believe I handle my test load very well. I have not been late on
      submitting any of my reports.

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Jennifer Estrella
      Age: 34
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
      Weight: 140 lb (64 kg)
      Email address: jennksnowy at yahoo dot com
      City, State, and Country: Orange County, California, United States

      Backpacking Background

      After getting into the outdoors scene camping while 4-wheeling and
      day-hiking, I switched to backpacking in the early 2000's. I have
      backpacked extensively in Utah, Wyoming and Idaho along with
      California, Pennsylvania and Nevada. I have slowly been cutting my
      base weight to be able to go longer in both duration and distance. I
      have done so mainly by using better gear and dumping heavy luxuries.
      (I also married a Sherpa to help.) I backpack year round in all
      weather, and usually take a free standing tent and a gas stove on all
      my trips. I love trying out new gear.

      Testing Locations

      During the winter and spring/summer months I will be backpacking in
      the San Jacinto and San Gorgonio Wilderness areas in Southern
      California (Cleveland National Forest) for quick overnighters and 2
      night trips. I would also be going on day hikes in this area and
      Cleveland National Forest. The daytime temperatures in this region
      will vary from about 50 F (10 C) to 60 F (16 C).

      I would also like to visit Northern California on a winter
      backpacking trip early in the spring or some time in May. There are
      no definite plans at this point for such a trip but I would like to
      make it happen. I would like to visit the Kings Canyon area. I no
      longer work full time so I would be able to make this trip happen.

      The first of April I have a trip planned to Red Rocks Area of Nevada.
      I will be there for three nights. The temperatures should be around
      60 F (16 C) to 70 F (21 C) for this trip.

      I would also be able to use the Badger products during a four day
      backpacking trip the end of May in Yosemite National Park. I think
      the daytime temperatures will be in the mid to upper 50's F (10 C).

      I would also use the products as needed daily during the testing
      period. I would use the lip balm pretty much daily for my lips and as
      needed for dry skin. I would use the Sore Joint Rub as needed for my
      tendonitis after/during my daily fitness walks along with my hikes
      and backpacking trips. The Healing Balm I would find use for to treat
      my Eczema from wearing gloves at work and for calluses, cracks, and
      dry skin as needed. My hands tend to get cracked from rock climbing.

      If selected to test these products I would have them available for me
      to use at all times during the testing period.

      Information Pertinent to This Test

      I have used Badger products in the past but none of these items up
      for testing. I try to use natural products (if they are effective)
      for my skin and for healing purposes. By looking at the ingredients
      in the products I do not notice any that would cause an allergic
      reaction or that would be contraindicated for me to use.

      Test Plans:

      All products: I would evaluate how easy the tins are to open and
      close, especially if there is some on my hands after application. I
      would also be interested in the consistency of the products relative
      to temperature changes.

      I would also see if the scents are overpowering and if they can be
      used in bear country. I would really like to use the Sore Joint Rub
      in bear country for my tendonitis in my left leg. I have been using
      Biofreeze as my treatment of choice lately but it has that camphor
      smell.

      Do the products last for the entire test period when used daily? How
      often do I have to reapply the products? Are the products sticky? Do
      the products easily absorb into my skin? Are they oily or grease
      like?

      Sore Joint Rub: I am wondering if the Sore Joint Rub has a scent or
      properties that make my eyes water or if they come in contact with my
      eyes, do my eyes burn. When I open my Biofreeze my eyes start to
      water. I want to know if this is effective on my leg tendonitis. I
      would do an application before walking, hiking, and backpacking and
      as needed during the trip. My tendonitis flares up on all my
      backpacking trips and day hikes. The fragrance in this product is
      supposed to be natural and I am wondering what it smells like. I
      would also use this as a muscle rub after hiking and biking as
      needed. I have poor foot circulation and I am wondering if this
      product would help. I would also use it if I get a sprain or muscle
      stiffness. My right ankle is generally stiff since my surgery. Does
      the black pepper fragrance help with mental clarity as indicated by
      the manufacturer?

      Lip Balm: Is the fragrance I am provided with pleasant and does it
      have a natural flavor? Does the lip balm wear off quickly or is it
      cakey on my lips? Does the lip balm dry out my lips or have a waxy
      feel? Does it increase my thirst? Is it moisturizing-how long? Is
      it effective for dry skin treatment on other areas as indicated by
      the manufacturer? Can I use it for dry cuticles? Does it make my
      fingers soft after rock climbing scrapes?

      Healing Balm: How effective is this in treating Eczema? I get Eczema
      from wearing powdered gloves at work. I would try this on my dry
      feet? I wear open shoes allot in Southern California and I like to
      have smooth feet. Does it help with control of calluses? I always
      have calluses on two of my toes. Is it effective in treating my skin
      after rock climbing and for splits, cuts, and scrapes? I would also
      try it as a soothing muscle rub after hiking.

      Previously Written Reports
      My previously written reports can be found at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/jennksnowy

      Owner Reviews: 15
      Completed Tests: 26
      Currently Testing Other Items: 4

      Red Ledge Allegory Jacket – long term reporting due on March 17
      Clif Shot Bloks – long term report due March 9
      Salomon XT Wings WP W trail running shoes – long term report due on
      April 14
      DeLorme PN-40 GPS- awaiting arrival

      Applications Pending: None

      BGT Involvement: Mentor Coordinator, Mentor, and Monitor.

      Thank you for your consideration in testing the Badger Products. I
      would be more that happy to give these products a thorough testing.

      Jenn Estrella