Regarding Outlines in Test Reports, 3/1/2009, 9:15 am

  • backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      Reminder from: backpackgeartesters Yahoo! Group

      Title: Regarding Outlines in Test Reports

      Date: Sunday March 1, 2009
      Time: 9:15 am - 9:15 am
      Repeats: This event repeats every month on the first Sunday until Tuesday June 30, 2009.
      Notes: Please note that the "testing strategy" section in reports had been merely optional, not required, for at least a year, and the decision has been made by Jerry to remove it entirely in due course. ALSO NOTE that it will still be required in applications.

      It will be omitted as a test requirement in the next version of the Survival Guide. Although the "outline" is present on one of the tabs in the current version of Report Writer, the Editors prefer that it be omitted completely. They will [comment] it, although it will not yet be listed as an [EDIT].

      Unfortunately, it seems to have been creeping back into reports in the past year. Since the new versions of the SG and RW are not yet in place, I will be issuing periodic reminders for testers in the form of a repeating monthly message.

      Reasons?

      The outline adds needless bulk to the report, without supplying any real information. Testing, after all, is done by following the application outline where feasible, but it also involves reacting to new discoveries about the performance of the gear under test,
      reporting on those, and so on. It's an evolutionary process.

      The testing outline quite often becomes almost irrelevant in practice. Testers should, of course, investigate all the avenues mentioned in their application if they prove relevant, but it shouldn't be necessary for the reader of the report to know what that outline is, and (as already stated) testing shouldn't be limited by and to the outline.

      Thanks,

      Ted

      Senior Edit Moderator

    • Rick D.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2009
        Hi team,

        I understand and applaud all efforts to tighten up our reports. As a
        related item, is it okay to include a brief paragraph in initial and
        firld reports noting key, unanswered test questions? e.g., "I have
        yet to see how well this [tent/rain jacket/pair of boots...] handles
        heavy rain."

        Thanks,

        Rick

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com,
        backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Reminder from: backpackgeartesters Yahoo! Group
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackgeartesters/cal
        >
        > Regarding Outlines in Test Reports
        > Sunday March 1, 2009
        > 9:15 am - 9:15 am
        > (This event repeats every month on the first Sunday until Tuesday
        June 30, 2009.)

        > Notes:
        > Please note that the "testing strategy" section in reports had been
        merely optional, not required, for at least a year, and the decision
        has been made by Jerry to remove it entirely in due course. ALSO NOTE
        that it will still be required in applications.

        > It will be omitted as a test requirement in the next version of the
        Survival Guide. Although the "outline" is present on one of the tabs
        in the current version of Report Writer, the Editors prefer that it
        be omitted completely. They will [comment] it, although it will not
        yet be listed as an [EDIT].

        > Unfortunately, it seems to have been creeping back into reports in
        the past year. Since the new versions of the SG and RW are not yet in
        place, I will be issuing periodic reminders for testers in the form
        of a repeating monthly message.

        > Reasons?
        >
        > The outline adds needless bulk to the report, without supplying any
        real information. Testing, after all, is done by following the
        application outline where feasible, but it also involves reacting to
        new discoveries about the performance of the gear under test,
        > reporting on those, and so on. It's an evolutionary process.
        >
        > The testing outline quite often becomes almost irrelevant in
        practice. Testers should, of course, investigate all the avenues
        mentioned in their application if they prove relevant, but it
        shouldn't be necessary for the reader of the report to know what that
        outline is, and (as already stated) testing shouldn't be limited by
        and to the outline.

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Ted
        >
        > Senior Edit Moderator
        >

        > All Rights Reserved
        > Copyright © 2009
        > Yahoo! Inc.
        > http://www.yahoo.com
        >
        > Privacy Policy:
        > http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us
        >
        > Terms of Service:
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Jerry Goller
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2009
          Yes. In fact it is strongly encouraged. One of my biggest objections to
          "test plans" is comments that indicate a possible negative but there is no
          follow up to prove or disprove the comment.

          I'd like to see a requirement that all questions in the IR must be addressed
          in the FR or LTR.

          Jerry

          reviews and tests on the planet.

          database 3905 (20090303) __________