Re: EDIT High Sierra Trail 90 Backpack

  • kwpapke
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2009
      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Wheiler"
      <jmwlaw@...> wrote:

      > Winter generally isn't capitalized.

      Ya know, I've had monitors/editors equivocate on this one, so I looked
      it up in several places. The best explanation I could find is from
      Wikipedia:

      Seasons, in almost all instances, are lowercase: This summer was very hot.

      ***When personified***, season names may function as proper nouns, and
      they should then be capitalized: I think Spring is showing her colors;
      Old Man Winter.

      I changed mine to lower case.

      > Just out of curiosity, what is the temperature rating
      > on your sleeping bags? -27--that is serious cold.

      I've had a couple of monitors mention this, so for the record...
      My REI Zenith sleeping bag is rated to 0F. But I added a 200wt
      polarfleece liner, plus I wore 200 wt polarfleece pants and jacket on
      top of my long johns. Then I added my Primaloft parka on top of
      everything.

      I was plenty warm, but it was a pain to pee (3 times) with all those
      layers.

      Actually I did have one spot get cold: the bridge of my nose. I had
      my mummy bag cinched up good, and was wearing a polarfleece balaclava,
      so most of my face was warm. In that kind of cold one should really
      cover the balaclava opening, but I find that to be too claustrophobic.

      I could get into stories about doing the morning rituals at -20F, but
      after all this Yahoo Group is Family Entertainment!

      I'm headed up to the Boundary Waters this weekend for some winter
      camping on Eagle Mtn, hope its warmer...

      Thanks for the edits!

      --Kurt