re Macpac at OR

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 29, 2005
      Hi Jerry

      > BTW, Roger, it looks like MacPac will be at this OR Show. I didn't contact
      > anyone for an appointment. Do you know of anyone specific I should ask for
      > if I drop in?
      Not any more. There has been a management change, and I don't know the new people.

      It used to be class gear. The move to China has caused some quality problems, but I would still love to see them in BGT.

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 30, 2005
        At 05:55 PM 29/07/2005, you wrote:

        >It used to be class gear. The move to China has caused some quality
        >problems, but I would still love to see them in BGT.

        Mmm ... have a NZ made Cascade ... less than happy ... will be the last
        Macpac backpack I purchase. It is off once again to Remote Repairs for
        more warranty work ... third repair now.

        Andrew
      • Chief Moderator
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2005
          Good to know. I'll give them a pass.

          Jerry

          _____

          >It used to be class gear. The move to China has caused some quality
          >problems, but I would still love to see them in BGT.

          Mmm ... have a NZ made Cascade ... less than happy ... will be the last
          Macpac backpack I purchase. It is off once again to Remote Repairs for
          more warranty work ... third repair now.

          Andrew

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "backpackgeartesters
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackgeartesters> " on the web.

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          _____

        • Andrew Priest
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
            At 04:29 AM 1/08/2005, you wrote:
            >Good to know. I'll give them a pass.

            Hi Jerry

            I wouldn't pass them by, they still have lots of good gear and are really
            big downunder, just that my pack has seen around 2,000 km + (1240 miles)
            and is not surviving to well.

            Andrew

          • Roger Caffin
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
              > > Good to know. I'll give them a pass.
              > I wouldn't pass them by, they still have lots of good gear
              > and are really big downunder

              I agree with Andrew here on all points. If you can get Macpac on board, then I think lots of other Oz manufacturers will
              start to follow. We want this. It may also influence manufacturers in other countries as well.

              Cheers
              roger Caffin
            • Andy Mytys
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
                OTOH, recall the thorn-laden bushwhacks that Andrew goes down. Not
                necessarilly your typical environment :)

                I've got a friend that's got the Macpac Ravine and raves about its
                durability and comfort. He's got a few thousand miles on it,
                including sections of the AT, Grand Canyon trails, Alaskan tundra
                treks, hikes in the Rocky Mountains (Beartooth Wilderness), etc.
                Granted, this pack is about three years old, so maybe it was
                purchased when they still made good packs, before Andrew even got his.

                Seems to me if these guys are game for testing, why not? It's just
                like any other test series, with respect to the potential for
                different opinions and results.

                It doesn't seem in the BGT spirit to "pass" a company based on just
                one person's comments.

                Certainly, MacPac does have a solid reputation with those I talk to.
                I'd be interested in an update, and that's what we're here for, no?

                Perhaps they did have QA issues, and their 2006 line-up will have
                them corrected.

                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Chief Moderator"
                <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
                > Good to know. I'll give them a pass.
                >
                > Jerry

              • Chief Moderator
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
                  Well, we're double booked every hour, triple booked on some, and quad booked
                  on a few.

                  Got to sort them out someway.

                  Jerry

                  _____