TEST CALL: Is Carbon Lite?

  • Dark Lazarus
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3 8:13 AM
      Well that is what we are here to test. Check out Mountainsmith's
      Carbonlite Pro Trekking poles:

      http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?productId=115&categoryId=15&subCategoryId=0&subCategory2Id=0

      or http://tinyurl.com/chdusw

      Fine print:
      US testers - shipping included
      Newbie limit applies
      Please use "Mountainsmith Carbonlite" in your subject line
      Application deadline is Feb 11.

      Chuck Carnes is the Mod

      --
      kathryn
    • Sophie
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7 5:59 AM
        Please accept my application to test the Mountainsmith Carbonlite Pro
        Trekking poles. My test agreement was mailed July 2008. I agree to
        comply with all of the test requirements, including Chapter 5, found
        in the backpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609, which I most recently read
        on January 10, 2009.

        Name: Sophie Pearson
        Age: 27
        Gender: Female
        Height: 5' 8" (1.71 m)
        Weight: 179 lb (81 kg)
        Email address: sophiep3 at gmail dot com
        Location: Tampa, Florida USA

        BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
        I first started backpacking as a teenager in England. I did a
        month-long trip in the Arctic, but most of my backpacking experience
        has been weekend to 10-day trips, in a range of terrains and climates.
        I am a volcanologist so I also do day hikes carrying loaded packs over
        intense terrain. Nowadays I am generally in tropical climates. I am
        heading increasingly towards ultralight packing, and unless I am
        sharing I use a bivy. I try to pack under 20 lb (9 kg) for long
        weekend trips but have carried over 50 lb (23 kg).

        WHY ME?
        I think I can give these poles a really thorough, rigorous testing. If
        selected, I would use them for at least 12 days/nights and up to 20
        with large elevation changes, including an 8-day trip. I would also
        take them on some day trips, time and weather permitting. I have used
        Walmart's finest for the last few years (until the bottom broke on one
        of them last trip) and have been amazed at the difference poles make,
        even on relatively flat ground. I therefore have a comparison for
        these poles, especially in the value-for-money category!

        FIELD INFORMATION
        The best test for these poles will be an 8-day backpacking trip that I
        am leading to Big Bend National Park in Texas in mid-March (my
        university's spring break). We will be in the backcountry for 7 days
        straight. This has pretty much every condition, with trails along
        rivers and across deserts and mountains. We will definitely be doing
        some pretty serious elevation changes and will be carrying all our
        food and enough water to get between filtering points, so the poles
        would really be appreciated and put through their paces! Temperatures
        will be between 32 and 85 F, (0 and 30 C) so basically for this trip
        we will have to be prepared for anything!

        I will also use the poles on 2-night trips both before and after the
        8-day one. The first would be on a trip backpacking along the Florida
        Trail next to the Suwannee River at the end of February, 20 miles over
        2 days with temperatures between 40 and 85 F (4 and 30 C). There is a
        definite chance of rain on this trip.

        I would also take them on a 3-day backpacking trip I am planning to
        North Carolina in April in the Great Smoky Mountains, and a 5-day
        multi-sport trip to the same area in May (3 days backpacking, then
        white water rafting and rock climbing). Distances are likely to be
        between 6 and 15 miles a day (depending on the group, topography etc.)
        with elevation changes of up to 5000 ft (1500 m). Temperatures could
        well be below freezing, but may get up to 80 F (27 C).

        By this point I will have most likely used the poles in rain, cold,
        possibly snow, and up and down mountains. Therefore, I will try to
        finish up the test with the final condition that tests users and their
        equipment... heat! Although I have not planned this trip, and will
        probably only go on it if I have equipment to test, I would do a trip
        in central Florida in May/June. Here the ground will be sandy,
        the weather will be hot and humid (temperatures as high as 97 F, 36 C,
        and humidity averaging 80%, and up to 100%) and the bugs will be
        coming out. By the end of all of that if the poles have lasted and I
        really like them, they have truly done well!!!

        FEATURES I WILL BE LOOKING AT
        Weight - how do these compare to my old poles? Are they really
        ultralight? Do they still feel heavy after long days on the trail?!!

        Comfort - does the shock absorption help when using these poles on
        steep terrain? Are the cork grips comfortable? Do they get slippery
        when my hands are damp? Do they start to degrade in the Floridian
        humidity? Do I end up with blisters on the inside of my thumbs like
        with my old poles? Are the wrist straps comfortable or do they pinch?

        Design - are they easy to adjust to the right length and do they stay
        there? Does the locking mechanism weaken over time and use? Do they go
        small enough when I want to attach them to the outside of my pack? Do
        I ever need to use the removable baskets? Do the carbide tips provide
        as good a traction as the website claims and do I need that?!! Are the
        baskets sturdy (one on my old pair broke off). Do the rubber boot tips
        stay on when I want them to and is there a way to attach them to the
        poles when I don't want them?

        PREVIOUSLY WRITTEN REPORTS
        My 5 owner reviews and 3 test reports can be found here:
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/sophp333

        COMPLETED TESTS
        None at this time, but I'm nearly there and am only testing freebies!!!

        CURRENTLY TESTING
        Bilt Vite Plus Stainless Steel Water Bottle (LTR due 17 February)
        UCO Mightylite XL Lantern and Torch (LTR due 10 March)
        Feetures Bamboo and Wool Socks (FR due 17 March)
        ResTek Compression Drybag (awaiting shipment)

        CURRENTLY SERVING AS MONITOR FOR
        Nothing

        APPLICATIONS PENDING
        Osprey Exos 58 backpack

        Thank you very much for your consideration,
        Sophie