Test Call: Any Bird Watchers Among Us?

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
      If so, then maybe you should be on the look out for ospreys.

      Or more correctly the Osprey Exos 58 Backpack

      http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/ExosSeriesVentilated/Exos58NEW/

      Three lucky testers will get the chance to test these packs, so guys and
      gals, dust off your applicating pens.

      Now for the nitty gritty

      US testers shipping included
      Newbie limit applies

      Thomas Vickers is the mod

      Please include the phrase "Osprey Exos" in your subject line.

      This test will close on Tuesday, February 10 at 9pm central time.

      Happy applicating

      TV

      _____________________________________

      There is the right way, the wrong way, and the Jack Bauer way. It's
      basically the right way but faster and more deaths.

    • swifteagle1_2003
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
        Wow,

        I'm really excited about testing this pack, osprey seems to make some
        nice stuff. So here's crossing my fingers and hoping i'm not just
        watching birds.

        Josh Cormier

        Application to test the Osprey Exos 58 Backpack – Josh Cormier

        Please accept my application for the privilege of testing the Osprey
        Exos 58 Backpack. I Josh Cormier have read and agree to comply with
        the report requirements stated in chapter 5 of the BackpackGearTest
        Bylaws v. 0609.

        Personal biographical information:
        • Name: Josh Cormier
        • Age: 29
        • Gender: Male
        • Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
        • Weight: 155 lb (70 kg)
        • Email address: swifteagle1 at hotmail dot com
        • City: Los Gatos, California
        • Date: 2-Feb-09

        Backpacking background:
        I joined the Boy Scouts when I was 11 and have been camping and
        backpacking ever since. I like to do challenging trips ranging from
        week long to weekend in mountainous areas. I would classify my gear
        as mid weight although now I am trying to move more toward
        lightweight. I now go backpacking at least once a year in the Sierra
        Nevada Mountains as well as monthly car camping trips with the Scouts.

        Field information:
        I camp with the Boy Scouts up to 11 times a year in differing
        locations. Each of these campouts consists of two nights of camping
        in various places. The great testing weather we normally encounter is
        moist air, fog, cold nights, and occasionally heavy wind and rain.
        The places we usually camp include redwood forests, grassy meadows,
        and ocean front campsites. The usual temperatures found here can
        range from 35 – 90 deg F (1.7 – 32.2 C)

        The other area I camp is in the much-loved Sierra Nevada Mountains,
        elevation 3,000 – 10,000 ft (914 – 3048 m). The climate here varies
        from hour to hour, expect fog, rain, hail, snow, wind, and warm sunny
        days. The terrain is all, mountainous with many trees and lots of
        granite. The temperatures found here can range from 20 deg F (-6.6 C)
        in the winter to 95 deg F (35.0 C) in the summer.

        My main method of hiking is mid weight leaning toward the light side.
        I like to travel fast and have learned that lightening my load makes
        this easier to do. I also like to get off trail and go cross country,
        a lighter pack will make this easier to do. Recently I have been
        looking at moving to a lighter pack from my 7 lb external frame pack.
        I have been going lighter and lighter on my gear as well which makes
        me a candidate for a lighter pack. If I am chosen for this test I
        plan to get some cross country backpacking done in the wilderness
        areas near me.

        My test plan:
        I plan on testing the gear based on several different objectives.
        First and most importantly is dependability, does the gear work when
        it counts. Secondly is efficiency, does the gear do its job well.
        Lastly would be ease of use, is the gear easy to put together and
        easy to use.
        Dependability:
        I will be looking to see if the pack holds up to use day after day on
        the trail. Will the material hold up to scraping, will the straps
        stay connected, will the waist belt hold the pack in place? I'll be
        looking to see how all the attachments and cords hold up, do buckles
        fail, straps come un-sewn?
        Do all the zippers consistently work?
        Do any of the zippers become stuck?
        Does the frame provide enough support when the pack is full of my
        gear?

        Efficiency:
        How does the pack fit, does it rub anywhere, pull or tug in the wrong
        places?
        Does the pack hurt my back by putting pressure in tender spots?
        Are there any things on the pack that are extra and not needed or
        useful?
        Is the pack comfortable to wear?
        Do the shoulder straps rub or cause any sore spots?
        Does the waist belt rub or cause any sore spots?
        Does the airspeed suspension provide a comfortable rest for my back?
        Does the airspeed suspension and frame wide enough my shoulder blades
        to be comfortable or do they rub?
        Does the airspeed suspension provide good ventilation between me and
        the pack?
        Are the compression straps well placed and useful?
        Does the "stow on the go" feature securely hold my hiking pole(s)
        while keeping them out of my way?
        Is there any advantage to removing the top pocket?
        Are the vertical zippered pockets large enough to hold items I might
        need quickly like my rain gear?
        Are the waist belt pockets large enough to hold my camera and or
        snacks while hiking?
        Are all the pockets useful?

        Ease of Use:
        For this I will be looking to see how well the pack is designed. Are
        the pockets, zippers, straps, and buckles in convenient and useful
        places? Is the pack easy to load and unload? Is the pack easy to get
        on and off? How easy are adjustments made with the pack on?
        Is it easy to get a hydration bladder in and out of the backpanel
        hydration sleeve?
        Are the routing points for the hydration tube in convenient locations?
        Are the side pockets and compression straps easy to use and
        convenient to store things in?
        Is the "stow on the go" feature easily used while walking?
        Is it easy to remove or replace the top pocket?
        Are the waist belt pockets easy to access while walking?

        I do not currently have any tests in progress or in the Queue.

        If I am chosen I would like the large size in Ember Orange.

        All my previously written reports can be found here:
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/swifteagle1

        Thank you Osprey and BackpackGearTest for your consideration,

        Josh Cormier
      • Sophie
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
          Please accept my application to test the Osprey Exos 58 Backpack. I
          would like the large size. My test agreement was mailed July 2008. I
          agree to comply with all of the test requirements, including Chapter
          5, found in the backpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609, which I most
          recently read on January 10, 2009.

          Name: Sophie Pearson
          Age: 27
          Gender: Female
          Height: 5' 8" (1.71 m)
          Weight: 179 lb (81 kg)
          Email address: sophiep3 at gmail dot com
          Location: Tampa, Florida USA

          BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
          I first started backpacking as a teenager in England. I did a
          month-long trip in the Arctic, but most of my backpacking experience
          has been weekend to 10-day trips, in a range of terrains and climates.
          I am a volcanologist so I also do day hikes carrying loaded packs over
          intense terrain. Nowadays I am generally in tropical climates. I
          am heading increasingly towards ultralight packing, and unless I am
          sharing I use a bivy. I try to pack under 20 lb (9 kg) for long
          weekend trips but have carried over 50 lb (23 kg).

          WHY ME?
          I think I can give this pack a really thorough, rigorous testing. If
          selected, I would use this pack for at least 12 days/nights and up to
          20, including an 8-day trip. I recently sent back a pack with almost
          identical specs but a very different design, because the material was
          so weak that it ripped even when it was half-full. Before that I tried
          a women-specific pack but could not find a way to get it to fit me.
          Before that I had a 90 liter (5500 cu in), very heavy internal pack
          that was about the simplest design you can imagine, but lasted
          for 9 years. Therefore as well as a lot of use, I can also compare
          this pack to the large range of styles available.

          WHY THIS PACK?
          I would love to try this pack because a pack can make the difference
          between a lovely walk in the woods for a few days or an
          uphill/downhill slog that feels like it will never end. Not only does
          weight make a huge difference, where this pack is already scoring
          points, but also the fit, weight distribution and accessibility of the
          items inside. I am still adjusting to smaller capacity bags, and my
          previous experience was with a front-loader, so I would really like to
          see how I can adapt to this one. The stow on the go attachment feature
          is really nice because a lot of the local trails I go on are too sandy
          for poles part of the way, so I either lash them down and never get
          them out again, or have the irritation of having to carry them without
          using them.

          The idea of testing this bag really excites me because it looks like
          it is a well-made, thoughtfully designed backpack and I am having such
          a hard time finding a pack that is durable, functional and
          comfortable. If this was the one I would be so happy!

          FIELD INFORMATION
          The best test of this pack will be an 8-day backpacking trip that I am
          leading to Big Bend National Park in mid-March (my university's spring
          break). We will be in the backcountry for 7 days solid and will have
          to carry all our food and enough water to get between filtering points
          (if there are any). This has pretty much every condition, with trails
          along rivers and across deserts and mountains. Temperatures will be
          between 32 and 85 F, (0 and 30 C) so basically for this trip we will
          have to be prepared for anything!

          I will also use the pack on 2-night trips both before and after the
          8-day one. Its first real test would be on a trip backpacking along
          the Florida Trail next to the Suwannee River at the end of February,
          20 miles over 2 days with temperatures between 40 and 85 F (4 and 30
          C). There is a definite chance of rain on this trip.

          After it has had its big work-out in Texas, I would also take it on a
          3-day backpacking trip I am planning to North Carolina in April in the
          Great Smoky Mountains, and a 5-day multi-sport trip to generally the
          same area in May (3 days backpacking, then white water rafting and
          rock climbing). Hiking distances are likely to be between 6 and 15
          miles a day (depending on the group, topography, how fresh we are
          etc.) with elevation changes of up to 5000 ft (1500 m). Temperatures
          could be below freezing, but may get up to 80 F (27 C).

          By this point I will have most likely taken the pack through rain,
          cold, possibly snow, mild conditions, and up and down mountains.
          Therefore, I will try to finish up the test with the final condition
          that tests backpacks (and their users)... heat! Although I have not
          planned this trip, and will probably only go on it if I have equipment
          to test, I would do a trip in central Florida in May/June. Here the
          ground will be sandy, the weather will be hot and humid (temperatures
          as high as 97 F, 36 C, and humidity averaging 80%, and up to 100%) and
          the bugs will be coming out. If I like this pack after that, it is a
          truly fantastic pack!

          FEATURES I WILL BE LOOKING AT
          Comfort - I am a fairly tall, broad-shouldered woman so tend to find
          men's packs aren't so comfortable on the hips, but women's ones are
          too narrow on the shoulders. As this is a unisex pack, how does this
          one fit? From the images, it looks like the shoulder straps and
          waist-belt are not all that padded; are they comfortable? Can I get
          the waist-belt to support enough of the pack without giving me bruises
          on my hips? Can I get a comfortable, tight fit with the ergopull hipbelt?

          Durability - is the durability of this pack sacrificed for the weight?
          Are the materials sturdy, are the seams strong and do the buckles and
          straps last?

          Pockets - Are the pockets well placed and shaped? Can they fit enough?
          Does packing one full impinge on another? Are the things inside the
          pockets still easy to get out when it is stuffed full? Are the hip
          pockets big enough to fit handy things like my camera? Are they far
          enough forward that I can reach them? Does my insulated hydration
          reservoir fit in the sleeve and does the mouth-piece/hose fit through
          the port? Is the front stretch pocket useful? I have never had a
          removable top pocket so is this a selling point? Is it easy to remove
          and reattach?

          Back - is the frame strong enough to support the suggested weight? Is
          it comfortable? Does it flex at all? Does it get ridiculously sweaty
          (in Florida in the summer it is sweaty just walking to my car,
          so I know that this could get bad with a multi-day backpack!)

          Size - what is the actual weight of this backpack (their website lists
          a heavier weight than their downloadable owner's manual)? Is it big
          enough to fit everything inside for shorter trips? Are there enough
          external straps that I can carry everything I need to for longer
          trips? Is it strong enough to bear that weight?

          Packability - is it easy to find things in the bag? Do I miss a
          sleeping bag compartment? Can I get the weight arranged so that it
          doesn't pull me backwards going uphill? Do I need to arrange things to
          stop them sticking in my back?

          External storage - Do my trekking poles fit in the stow on the go
          attachment system? Is it easy to attach them? Does my rock hammer fit
          in the tool attachment when I am in a geological frame of mind? Does
          my sleeping pad with its chair-conversion cover fit in the sleeping
          pad straps and are they located in a sensible place? What on earth are
          inside/out compressions straps, are they easy to use, useful and
          sturdy enough?! Are the mesh pockets on the side big enough to fit my
          wide-mouth bottle without it falling out?

          PREVIOUSLY WRITTEN REPORTS
          My 5 owner reviews and 3 test reports can be found here:
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/sophp333

          COMPLETED TESTS
          None at this time, but I am so close to finishing the first, and
          everything so far has been a freebie!!!

          CURRENTLY TESTING
          Bilt Vite Plus Stainless Steel Water Bottle (LTR due 17 February)
          UCO Mightylite XL Lantern and Torch (LTR due 10 March)
          Feetures Bamboo and Wool Socks (FR due 17 March)
          ResTek Compression Drybag (awaiting shipment)

          CURRENTLY SERVING AS MONITOR FOR
          Nothing

          APPLICATIONS PENDING
          None

          Thank you sooo much for your consideration,
          Sophie