POST: LTR - Zamberlan Crest GT Hiking Shoes - askLarry

  • larry
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2009
      Hi Carol-

      A day or two early, but here is my LTR on the Zamberlans. Good
      shoes, bad fit (at least for me).

      Html is at : http://tinyurl.com/bl6fc3

      Cheers

      -larry

      --------------------------------------

      LONG-TERM REPORT
      February 1, 2009

      FIELD CONDITIONS

      Over the course of the Long-Term Report, I had the chance to travel
      to Half Moon Bay, California, and broke away from my scheduled
      business for an afternoon to hike up the beach and back, covering
      about 7 miles (11+ km) all together. I took my mini tripod and my
      camera to capture the moment.

      It was sunny and just a little cool, with temperatures that day near
      60 F (15 C). I also wore them on a cold weather trip to Ray, Ohio,
      which involved cabin camping and about 3-4 miles (5-6 km). of
      tramping through the woods. The temperatures on the trip were as low
      as 1 F (-17 C) and as high as 18 F (-8 C) during the times I was
      outside, and most of the hiking was when the temperatures were on the
      higher side of the range.

      In addition to these outdoor experiences, I also wore the Crests to a
      football game (American football) I attended in Cincinnati, Ohio.
      This was a cool day with temperatures in the low 50's F (10-12 C)
      during the day. I spend about 4 -5 hours outdoor that day, including
      walking a total of about 2.5 miles (4 km) getting back and forth to
      the stadium. I have also worn the Crests to work about 5 times, on
      days when there has been between 3-6 inches (7.5-15 cm) of snow on
      the ground. I have also worn them while shoveling a like amount of
      snow in my driveway, an exercise which typically takes an hour or
      two, in temperatures in the 20's F (-6 to -1 C).

      FIELD EXPERIENCE

      On the day I walked along the beach, I wore the Crests over a pair of
      hiking liners and mid-heavyweight oversocks (Bridgedale Endurance
      Trekkers). After going the first few miles, my feet began to become
      uncomfortable, particularly my left foot, which is the one that is
      widest across the toes. I stopped a few times to try to adjust my
      socks and relace the shoes. If I tied them very tightly, my toes were
      sore, but if I made them looser, my foot was sliding in the shoe.
      Eventually, I was able to find a compromise and continued my hike. By
      the time I returned, my steps were quite uncomfortable, particulary
      on the outer edge of my left foot. When I got back and took off my
      socks, I could see the reason why-as nasty blister (Ouch!). Although
      the shoes got sandy, a quick shake and they were clean.

      After that experience, I took the advice of my monitor (Carol C) and
      changed the lacing style to one that is supposed to prevent heel
      slippage. As can be seen in the photo, the top of the lacing is
      changed so that the laces are threaded through the same side for the
      top two eyelets, and then are crossed back over themselves before
      tying. I found that I less problems with slippage, but the fit still
      wasn't perfect.

      When I wore the Crests on the trip in January, I again wore them over
      liners and the Endurance Trekkers. I did not do nearly as much hiking
      on this trip, but the ground was very cold and there was snow.
      Although I had no problems with snow getting into the shoe or with
      the shoe getting wet, I had a big problem with my feet getting very
      cold fairly quickly. Although I cannot be sure, I felt this was due
      to the fact that I had the shoes laced tightly, which was restricting
      blood flow to my toes. I was out for about an hour and had come to
      come in because I was concerned about developing frostbite. I sat
      inside and used my hands to warm up my feet for about an hour.
      Eventually I went back outside into the snow but did not stay out for
      more than an hour.

      When I have worn the shoes to work, I wear them over cotton athletic
      socks. I do feel that my feet slide around a little, but not enough
      to cause any rubbing or blisters. I am on my feet quite a bit during
      the day, and they are almost as comfortable to wear as a pair of
      sneakers. Because of this, I like to wear them when I know I will be
      walking in the rain and/or snow, since I don't have to worry about
      arriving with wet feet.

      In terms of durability, I have to give the Crests high marks.
      Although I have not put a lot of backcountry miles on them, the tread
      and construction still remains solid. As you can see from the photo
      compared to the photo at the top of the report, there is plenty of
      dirt, but very little sign of wear.

      There is only one loose thread I could see, and it is located on the
      Gore-Tex label, and has nothing to do with the structural integrity
      of the Crests. After all the days I have worn them, the shoes may be
      loosening up, but it is only a small amount-the soles and uppers are
      still quite stiff.

      SUMMARY

      Overall, I am quite conflicted about these shoes. I think they are
      well made and durable, and they have done a fantastic job of keeping
      my feet dry in rain and snow. However, I have never been able to
      fully resolve the fit problem I have with the shoes. When I wear them
      with two pairs of socks, which is typical hiking gear for me, I find
      that they are just too narrow at the top. In addition to being
      somewhat uncomfortable, I have gotten blisters or had my foot get
      cold on me. I cannot ascribe this to a fault with the shoes, but it
      underscores the necessity that I TRY ON ANY HIKING SHOES BEFORE
      BUYING THEM. For these shoes in particularly, I would recommend them
      to people with long and/or narrow feet, a group to which I
      (unfortunately) do not belong. Because of this, I do not foresee
      using the Crests much in the future, although I will try to find them
      a good home with someone who fits them better than I.

      Things I liked about the Crest GTs:
      Sturdy and well-constructed
      Excellent waterproofing
      Having removable insole a plus
      Things I disliked about the Crest GTs:
      Bad fit for me--best suited for hikers with long, narrow feet
      Soles are rather stiff

      This concludes my report on the Zamberlan Crest GT Hiking Shoes. My
      thanks once again to Zamberlan for providing this equipment for
      testing, and to BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to participate
      in the evaluation process.

      -larry kirschner
    • cmcrooker
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
        EDIT: LTR - Zamberlan Crest GT Hiking Shoes - askLarry

        Hi Larry,
        Nice beach pic, yukky foot pic :)
        Html looks good.
        Edits follow.
        Carol, Monitor

        I also wore them on a cold weather trip to Ray, Ohio, which involved
        cabin camping and about 3-4 miles (5-6 km). of tramping through the
        *** (5-6 km) of ***

        the time I returned, my steps were quite uncomfortable, particulary
        *** particularly ***

        When I got back and took off my socks, I could see the reason why-as
        nasty blister (Ouch!).
        *** a nasty ***

        After that experience, I took the advice of my monitor (Carol C) and
        *** Hey, that's me :) ***

        For these shoes in particularly, I would recommend them
        *** in particular ***
      • larry
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
          Hi Carol-

          Fixed and uploaded! Nice working with you on the test--I only wished
          your lacing fix fully resolved my problem.

          Cheers

          -larry