FR - Montrail Helium GTX Boots - John Waters

  • exec@bysky.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2009
      Mike,

      Below is the text of my Montrail Helium GTX Boot FR. HTML and pictures can
      be found in the test folder at:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR-Montrail%20Helium%20GTX%20Boots%20-%20John%20Waters/
      or http://tinyurl.com/bopayt

      Thanks in advance for the edits!

      John Waters
      ______________________________

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Since my initial report, I've worn the Montrail Helium GTX Boots (herein
      after referred to as the "GTX Boots") in a variety of hiking and snowshoeing
      activities from 4500 ft to 11,300 ft (1400 to 3400 km) above sea level,
      from -5 F to 75F (-21 C to 24 C) and in wind chills as low as -25 F (-32 C).
      In all, they've been on my feet for over 30 miles (48 km) on trails and even
      several miles/kilometers on concrete at the Outdoor Retailer Show.

      They've been subjected to terrains of all sorts: rocks, sandy grit, shale,
      scree, mud, snow, ice and concrete, mostly in south central Colorado in the
      Cooper Mountain range. I've also worn them snowshoeing on Mt. Evans,
      Colorado, on the Rainbow Trail in the Sangre de Cristo mountains in Colorado
      and at the Outdoor Retail Show's Backcountry Base Camp held at Snowbasin,
      Utah.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      Again, I am amazed at the traction on ice that the Gryptonite soles provide.
      I continue to annoy my wife by trying to slide on sheet glare ice. It
      appears as long as there is no surface melt that I can comfortably walk on
      ice without sliding. It's nothing like walking with add-on boot grips under
      the soles, but quite effective on flat sheet ice. I know that if there is
      water on the surface of the ice, I can fall on my face (because I almost
      did), but it's a real secure feeling when the ice and the boots are both
      under freezing temperatures.

      I've never worn anything other than my favorite wool hiking socks while
      wearing the GTX boots. My feet never got wet or cold while snowshoeing at 0
      F (-18 C) with a wind chill of at least -25 F (-32 C). We've snowshoed in 4
      ft (1 m) deep snow, walked trails with snow half way up the boot and walked
      through wet mud and slushy snow. The GTX boots never gave in. My feet were
      always warm and dry.

      The GTX boots have a real quick entry and exit because their quick loop tabs
      go down almost to the curve along the top of my foot. It makes it easy to
      just slide my foot right in while wearing heavy wool socks. I've been able
      to easily take off my street shoes while sitting in the car driver's seat
      and slide into the GTX without even touching them with my hands. I guess
      that's why Montrail didn't need to include a rear pull tab.

      The only issue I've had so far is that the 2nd quick tabs from the top are
      placed slightly towards the rear, making it difficult to hit the tabs all
      the time while lacing up because they are not fully visible. I'd say about
      half the time I miss them when lacing up. I've discovered that I don't need
      to have them included in the lacing if I'm in a hurry. The boot is quite
      stable and I get little ankle movement. I feel quite secure and stable in
      these boots.

      I've noticed that I am not sweating as much in the GTX boots. I have lighter
      weight boots that I sweat in more. I also don't notice as much odor as I get
      in other boots - even lighter weight ones.

      There has been no sign of defects or issues caused by wear and I see no
      deformity of shape or movement of the tongue from center. I report this
      because I have had boots that, after a while, I can't keep the tongue
      centered when lacing up or the tongue moves around while being worn. The GTX
      boots are solid and stable and everything is still in place.

      The footbed inserts are stock weight that I expect to see in boots purchased
      directly from the manufacturer. Even with these basic inserts, my feet did
      not complain when walking several miles in one day on concrete at the
      Outdoor Retail Show. My feet liked them better than well padded soles in my
      street shoes.

      SUMMARY

      I had a pair of boots that were my favorite for many years. The GTX boots
      have moved up into that favorite position. They are too heavy for summer
      wear though, but here in Colorado and where we hike, we have many months out
      of each year in which I can use these boots. The GTX have been comfortable
      and they have performed very well.

      We are going to head out to a trail, before the end of this test that has a
      stream crossing 13 times before reaching the trail end. If the stream is
      flowing, it'll be a good test of waterproofing and stability on wet rocks.
      I'll see if the GTX soles continue to perform on stream crossings the way
      they perform in snow.

      Please check back in late March for the results of my next two months'
      results of testing the Montrail Helium GTX Boots.

      My sincere thanks to BackpackGearTest.org and Montrail for the opportunity
      to test these boots.

      John R. Waters
    • Mike C.
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
        John,

        Nice report. I got jealous over the OR show references!

        Below are your edits in the usual format: EDIT=Change, Edit=Change
        something, Comment=Just that.

        See you in two months!

        Mike C.

        <SNIP>

        . . . in a variety of hiking and snowshoeing
        activities from 4500 ft to 11,300 ft (1400 to 3400 km) above sea
        level . . .

        EDIT: 4,500 ft

        <SNIP>

        I've been able to easily take off my street shoes while sitting in
        the car driver's seat
        and slide into the GTX without even touching them with my hands.

        Comment: How fast were you going at the time. :-)

        <SNIP>

        We are going to head out to a trail, before the end of this test that
        has a
        stream crossing 13 times before reaching the trail end. If the stream
        is
        flowing, it'll be a good test of waterproofing and stability on wet
        rocks.

        Edit: I don't usually comment on comma usage, but this one seems a
        little confusing. I would either eliminate the comma in the first
        sentence, or add a comma between "test" and "that" to set that clause
        apart.

        Please check back in late March for the results of my next two months'
        results of testing the Montrail Helium GTX Boots.

        EDIT: One of the two instances of the word "results" should be
        deleted (either "for my next two months' results" or "for the results
        of my next two months of testing").
      • exec@bysky.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
          Mike,

          Thanks for the edits. All has been corrected, the test file deleted and the
          file uploaded.

          See you in two months.