EDIT FR - Bridgedale Endurance Trekker Socks - Jerry Adams

  • Jennifer Pope
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2009
      Jerry-

      My goodness I'm late. Please feel free to email me if I miss your edits
      like this again. I had completely forgotten that I saw you posted this.
      Very sorry for my tardiness. My edits for you are below. Also, you should
      only report the new section of the report when you post to the list. Your
      html in the test folder should be the whole report, but only report the FR
      section to the list. You may also consider removing the "testing strategy"
      section from your IR. This section is discouraged now and I have a feeling
      I missed that in the IR stage. Another edit I missed in the IR, in your
      tester information please add a comma in between Portland and Oregon. Also,
      now that you have two sections I think it makes sense to have a date under
      your "Initial Report" heading and another date under your "Field Report"
      heading. I think that makes it more clear to readers that this is a
      two-part report.

      A very good report. You are fairly brief which I think is a nice compliment
      to some of our more wordy reviewers. It is clear that these socks have
      gotten a very good test so far which is the most important thing.

      Jen P.

      On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 7:11 AM, jerry adams <jerryaadams@...> wrote:

      > HTML at http://tinyurl.com/948ot6
      >
      > BRIDGEDALE ENDURANCE TREKKER SOCKS
      > TEST SERIES BY JERRY ADAMS
      > FR
      > January 02, 2009
      >

      > <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>
      >
      > FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS
      >
      > All of my testing was done with one pair of Bridgedale Endurance Trekker
      > socks and a pair of mid weight leather boots.
      > I washed the socks four times in warm water and dried them in the drier
      > using the warm setting.
      > On the backpack trips, I wore the socks in my sleeping bag at night so they
      > were dry in the morning, (although when the boots were wet, the socks got
      > wet again after I put on my boots in the morning).

      EDIT all of the preceding seems a bit out of place in this section. I think
      your should move this below the Field Conditions section either to a section
      of it's own or just at the end of the "Performance in the Field" section.

      > I did a three night backpack up the Deschutes River in Northern central
      > Oregon. The elevation was 250 to 1000 feet (75 to 300 m). Temperature was
      > 40 to 70 degrees F (5 to 20 C). Fairly dry. I walked 26 miles (42 km).
      > The trail was dirt, gravel, and some boulders.
      > I did a three night backpack up to Cast Lake, West of Mount Hood, in
      > Northern central Oregon. The elevation was 1500 to 4500 feet (500 to 1400
      > m). Temperature was 32 to 50 degree F (0 to 10 C). Rainy and wet snow on
      > the ground at places. I walked 24 miles (38 km). My boots and socks were
      > quite wet the entire time. The trail was dirt, gravel, some boulders, and
      > some snow.
      > I did a three night backpack up to Dublin Lake, in Northern central
      > Oregon. The elevation was 200 to 4100 feet (60 to 1250 m). Temperature was
      > 32 to 50 degree F (0 to 10 C). Rainy and wet snow on the ground. I walked
      > 22 miles (35 km). My boots and socks were quite wet the entire time. The
      > trail was dirt, gravel, some boulders, and some snow.
      > I did 20 miles (30 km) of day hiking around Portland Oregon on dry pavement
      > about 40 degree F (6 C).
      > I did 55 miles (90 km) of day hiking around Portland Oregon in snow from 20
      > to 35 degree F (-7 to 2 C). My socks got a bit damp.
      > Total mileage was 147 miles (235 km).

      comment - WOW! Lots of hiking. It sounds lovely!

> [...]
      > the ankles kept the socks up without being too constrictive. There were no
      > abnormal odor problems.
      > I did 6 days of backpacking with the socks wet. The socks were as
      > comfortable as possible for wet socks. In my experience, sometimes I'll get
      > blisters when the socks are wet, but I didn't have any problem with this.
      > There were no durability problems. After the Field Test, the socks were
      > about as thick as a new pair. The Field Test consisted of 147 miles (235
      > km), 9 nights of backpacking including 6 when the socks were wet, and four
      > washings. I have found that socks wear out faster in backpack trips when
      > they get really wet. There was a little pilling (some of the wool fiber
      > comes out of the sock weave and forms little clumps on the surface).
      > I figure that socks should last at least 250 miles (400 km) and maybe 8
      > washings before wearing out. The first thing that happens is that the sock
      > gets really thin at the heels, which will cause discomfort and blisters. So
      > far I haven't seen this problem. I plan on this amount of testing by the
      > end of the long term test.
      > According to the Bridgedale website, the socks are made with WoolFusion
      > technology, where a Polypropylene fiber wraps around the wool fiber, which
      > makes the sock more durable. The durability performance that I experienced
      > is consistent with this, but I haven't put in enough testing yet to really
      > verify this.
      > The socks were warm enough on backpack trips down to 32 degree F (0 C) when
      > they were wet and day hikes down to 20 degree F (-7 C).
      > As reported in the Initial Report, the socks are a bit large. My feet are
      > size 12 U.S. These socks are size L which Bridgedale says should fit U.S.
      > 10 to 12.5. If I didn't put my shoes on carefully, there would be wrinkles
      > or my heel wouldn't be at the right place on the sock. This has been a
      > minor problem - I haven't got any blisters or anything. This might be more
      > of a problem for someone with size 10 U.S. feet, for example.
      >
      > SUMMARY
      >
      > The Bridgedale Endurance Trekker socks are high quality socks for
      > backpacking. I prefer them to the Merino wool socks I have used in the
      > past.
      > Likes:
      > - Very comfortable
      > - So far, the durability is good
      > Dislikes:
      > - The sizing is a bit off, they're bigger than advertised, but this is
      > fairly minor. I recommend that before purchasing to carefully try on the
      > socks to make sure they're the right size, and not just rely on Bridgedale's
      > sizing data, especially if the shoe size is towards the low end of the range
      > for the particular sock size.
      >
      > TESTING STRATEGY
      >
      > Do another 100 miles (160 km). Include at least 6 nights of backpacking.
      > I am hoping this will include at least a day well below 32 degree F (0 C).

      EDIT - This section is unnecessary. You can just take it out. Strategies
      are discouraged now.

      > This concludes my Field Report. Long Term Report will be finished by March
      > 2009.
      > Thank you to Bridgedale and BackpackGearTest.org for providing me with the
      > opportunity to test the Endurance Trekker socks.

      > Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.

    • jerry adams
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 29, 2009
        My mistake not to remind you, I forgot about it, thanks for reviewing it.

        On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 7:11 AM, jerry adams <jerryaadams@ yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]

        > fairly minor. I recommend that before purchasing to carefully try on the
        > socks to make sure they're the right size, and not just rely on Bridgedale's
        > sizing data, especially if the shoe size is towards the low end of the range
        > for the particular sock size.
        >
        > TESTING STRATEGY
        >
        > Do another 100 miles (160 km). Include at least 6 nights of backpacking.
        > I am hoping this will include at least a day well below 32 degree F (0 C).
        > Wash them at least 3 more times.

        EDIT - This section is unnecessary. You can just take it out. Strategies
        are discouraged now.

        > This concludes my Field Report. Long Term Report will be finished by March
        > 2009.
        > Thank you to Bridgedale and BackpackGearTest. org for providing me with the
        > opportunity to test the Endurance Trekker socks.

      • larry
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2009
          Hey Jen-

          I posted my FR on the Trekkers a while back, so you might have missed
          it. Can you check and see if you posted edits?

          Thanks

          -larry
        • Jennifer Pope
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2009
            Hi Larry-

            Sorry for the delay. For some reason I'm having trouble keeping all of the
            testers straight on this test series. My dad's name is Jerry and my uncle's
            name is Larry so I keep getting the two of you confused and I keep thinking
            I've done edits that I actually haven't.

            Ok, on to the edits. Not really much that needs to be addressed here. I
            stretched to find a couple of minor things. Your html isn't in the test
            folder any more. I can just check everything over once you upload your
            report since it's my fault that Jet probably deleted it and I'll be OOP all
            weekend so I don't want to drag this out any longer.

            Great report.

            Thanks,
            Jen P.

            FIELD REPORT
            January 18, 2009

            FIELD CONDITIONS

            I have worn the Endurnace Trekkers for about 14 days during the
            course of the last 2 months, including a wide variety of conditions.
            The first time I wore them was on a weekend trip in November to the
            Clifton Gorge, located in Clifton, Ohio. I hiked about 7.5 miles (12
            km) on the gorge trail carrying a day pack with food, water, a rain
            shell and an extra heavyweight fleece. The temperature started out
            around 40 F (4 C) and reached a high around 48 F (8 C) during the
            day. Next, I had a business trip in mid-December to Half Moon Bay,
            California, and was able to arrange an extra day of the trip, which I
            spent hiking up the beach and back, covering about 7 miles (11+ km)
            all together. The sunshine was nice, but it was a little cool, with
            temperatures that day near 60 F (15 C). I also wore the Trekkers on a
            weekend trip to Dayton, Ohio. I spent most of the weekend in a cabin,
            but did have time for a 3 mi (5 km) hike in about 2 inches of snow in
            temperatures around 30 F (-1 C). I have had two outings in January,
            both of which involved some cabin camping and some hiking. The first
            was a weekend at a Boy Scout camp in Newark, Ohio which included
            about 2-2.5 miles (3-4 km) of hiking. It was snowy and cold, with
            temperatures around 25 F (-4 C) most of the weekend. This past
            weekend, I was out again in Ray, OH. The temperatures were quite
            cold, with temperatures as low as 1 F (-17 C) and as high as 18 F (-8
            C). This also involved a modest amount of hiking, probably in the
            range of 3-4 miles (5-6 km).

            In addition to these outdoor experiences, I also wore the Trekkers to
            work a few times, usually wearing them over a pair of cotton athletic
            socks when the weather was cold (<25 F/-4 C). I also had the chance
            to wear the Trekkers to a football game (American football) I
            attended in Cincinnati, OH. This was a cool day with temperatures in
            the low 50's F (10-12 C) during the day. I spend about 4 -5 hours
            outdoor that day, including lots of walking around to get to the
            stadium.

            FIELD EXPERIENCE

            During the Field Report portion of the test, I have worn the Trekkers
            exclusively as oversocks, with a variety of other types of socks
            underneath. For all occasions where I have worn them hiking, I have
            worn them with a pair of synthetic hiking liners. The two pairs of
            socks have been worn with either a pair of low-rise trail shoes
            (Zamberlan Crest GT's) or with my regular hiking boots (Montrail
            Torre GTX's). For the times I have worn the socks when I wasn't on
            the trail, I have worn the Trekkers over cotton athletic socks,
            either with sneakers or with the Zamberlans.

            In terms of comfort, I would rate the socks quite highly. They have
            retained their elasticity, and I have not had any trouble with
            bunching of the socks. They also have remained nice and soft. I can't
            say that I have worn the socks on any extensive backcountry hikes,
            but when I have worn them, they have provided ample cushioning for my
            feet. When I have worn them to work and spent a lot of time on my
            feet, I have found that the padding kept my feet from feeling a lot
            of strain.

            It has been very cold here (at least for Ohio) so I have had plenty
            of time to think about how warm these socks keep my feet. They are
            rated to be fairly warm (4/5, where 5 is the warmest, according to
            the website).
            comment - maybe add 'manufacturer' here just so it's clear what website
            you're referring to

            When wearing the socks when the temperatures were in
            the 40's and 50's F (>4 C), I found the socks comfortable without
            making my feet sweat. However, on my last few outings when the
            temperatures have been below freezing, I have found that my feet have
            been somewhat cold when wearing the Trekkers, particularly when the
            temperature was below 20 F (-6 C). It has not been bad when I am
            exerting myself, but my feet cooled quickly when at rest. In
            fairness, none the shoes/boots I have been wearing are made for sub-
            freezing temperatures so I would not say the socks are
            underperforming--they are just not made for temperatures that cold.
            edit - 'under-performing'

            As noted in my initial report, the socks do seem to be quite water
            resistant. Despite wearing them in the snow and rain, I have never
            really noted them to be wet to any extent when I have taken them off
            my feet. Also, they do not have any noticeable odor, despite wearing
            them for 2-3 days straight at a time.

            WEAR AND TEAR

            Although Bridgedale was gracious enough to send multiple pairs, I
            have exclusively worn one of the pairs, so that I could assess the
            sturdiness of these socks. I have probably washed the Trekkers 5 or 6
            times so far. Although the instructions say to wash the socks inside-
            out, I have forgotten to invert them on some of their washing. In
            terms of general sturdiness, I give these socks high marks. I really
            cannot see any signs of wear on the socks yet. They have also held up
            very well with washing. In fact, the socks seem like they may have
            shrunk just a little bit, which actually makes them fit a little
            better than before.

            FIELD IMPRESSIONS

            To date, the Bridgedale Endurance Trekkers have shown themselves to
            be sturdy hiking oversocks. They have a good amount of padding and
            keep my feet comfortable when hiking. They are also fairly warm, at
            least until the temperature drops too low. They have held up
            admirably without significant signs of wear, both in terms of the
            fabric and the elastic. I will continue to monitor the status of
            these issues as I continue testing, but overall I would say I have
            been favorably impressed to date with the Bridgedale Endurance
            Trekker socks.

            This concludes my Field Report on the Bridgedale Endurance Trekker
            Socks. Please check in back in about 2 months for my final report on
            this item.

            On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 8:20 PM, larry <asklarry98@...> wrote:

            > Hey Jen-
            >
            > I posted my FR on the Trekkers a while back, so you might have missed
            > it. Can you check and see if you posted edits?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > -larry

          • Jennifer Pope
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 30, 2009
              Sorry Larry, as soon as I sent send, I saw that Endurance is misspelled at
              the very beginning of your FR section. See below. JP

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
                Hi Jen-

                Fixed and uploaded! (Good pickup on the 'Endurance' misspelling--
                definitely bad form to have the name of the product wrong!)

                -larry