EDIT: Buff Headgear Cylone Buff - Sam Stamey

  • Willi Wabbit
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2009
      Hi Sam. It does get a bit difficult to describe how to wrap the Buff! Several edits below and two comments: 1) post only the new section of your combined report for editing, in this case only the FR; and 2) BGT recommends that testers omit an outline of their testing strategy in test reports. Your html version looks good. Go ahead and upload the revised report when ready, and be sure to delete your report from the Test folder. Thanks! Will Rietveld, Test Monitor.

      INITIAL REPORT
      EDIT: Post only the new report to be edited, but upload the full report to the Test folder.

      This field test has been in various locations and conditions
      including Yosemite National Park, my home town of Santa Rosa Ca. and
      the Sonoma Coast on the Pacific Ocean.
      EDIT: This sentence is missing a verb. Suggest: "I tested the Buff Cyclone in various locations and conditions.

      Various altitudes ranging from
      sea level to 7000 Ft (2134 M).
      EDIT: Not a complete sentence. Suggest: "The altitude ranged.
      EDIT: 7000 ft
      EDIT: 2134 m

      I had it around my neck, from
      behind my neck and pulled it to the top of my head, pinched some
      material around my neck area and then pulled it over my nose.
      EDIT: I don't understand this sentence.

      The think material blocked the
      wind and cold to some degree.
      EDIT: thick

      The rain of fog
      rolled off the Buff for the most part.
      EDIT: rain or fog (?)

      This product works well in weather that is below 50 F(10 C) or in
      really windy conditions otherwise it was too hot and uncomfortable to
      wear.
      EDIT: Need a space after 50F.

      TESTING STRATEGY
      Comment: See msg #51916 regarding outlines in test reports. The msg says: "Although the "outline" is present on one of the tabs in the current version of Report Writer, the Editors prefer that it be omitted completely." Having this in your IR and FR adds a lot of unnecessary verbiage that the reader is not interested in, so I recommend that you delete this section in your IR and FR.

    • Sam Stamey
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2009
        Hi Willi,
        Thanks for the edits. If I understand correctl I was supposed to fix the edits and post the report in the correct area and delete my report in the test area.
        That is what I did. Please let me know if I mis-understood. Here is my text version in case you want to check it again.
        Thanks again,
        Sam

        BUFF HEADGEAR
        TEST SERIES BY SAM STAMEY
        FR
        January 02, 2009

        FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

        I tested the Buff Cyclone in various locations and conditions including Yosemite National Park, my home town of Santa Rosa Ca. and the Sonoma Coast on the Pacific Ocean. Weather conditions have been as low as 20 F (-6.6 C) and as high as 50 F (10 C). I have worn the Buff in the snow, rain, fog, and wind. The altitude ranged from sea level to 7000 ft (2134 m).

        PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

        The Buff Cyclone is a heavy duty version of their popular headgear and is designed for cold weather. I found that the Cyclone worked extremely well for keeping my head and neck protected in cold weather conditions. Most of the times in my testing the conditions were cold and dry but occasionally I wore the buff in wet conditions.
        In the cold dry environment I used the buff as a neck gaiter, a beanie and as a balaclava. It worked very well as neck gaiter and is easy to pull up over my ears and nose when it is very cold. I converted it into a balaclava when the temperatures dropped and the wind came up. The buff is very easy to convert from a neck gaiter to a balaclava without taking it off. I start with it around my neck as a neck gaiter, and then I grabbed the top of the gaiter from behind my neck and pulled it to the top of my head. I then pinched some material from around my neck area and pulled it over my nose.� This is much easier to do then to explain. When I got too warm I would pull it back off my nose and the top of my head and leave it down around my neck.
        Because half of the material on the Cyclone is a lot thicker than the original Buff, it is a little harder to convert into a beanie. It can be done, it just takes a little more concentration and I end up with a thick beanie on my head.
        The benefit of one end thicker than the other is that I can choose if I want more warmth around my neck or more warmth around my nose and ears. Most of the time I wore the Buff with the thick side down (I put my head through the Buff thick side first so that the thick part was towards my shoulders and not my neck) that way I could pull the thin side up around my ears and nose. The thick material blocked the wind and cold to some degree. But when the wind was blowing cold or the temperature dropped a lot, I would switch the Buff so that the thick part was closer to my head and the thin part was closer to my shoulders. I would then pull it up to create a very warm and windproof balaclava.
        When the weather warmed up it was easy to take the Buff completely off and store it in a jacket pocket.
        In wet conditions the Buff worked equally well. The rain and fog rolled off the Buff for the most part. When I was finished with the Buff a quick shake of it and the water would come right off. The only down fall is when I had the buff on as a balaclava and the neck part tucked into my jacked collar I would get rain that would run down off my head on the outside of the Buff and down into my jacket and eventually it would get my back wet. This could be easily fixed if I wore a brimmed hat along with the Buff.
        This product works well in weather that is below 50 F (10 C) or in really windy conditions otherwise it was too hot and uncomfortable to wear.

        SUMMARY

        In summary I found the Buff Cyclone a great product for keeping my head and neck warm for this testing period. In cold and windy settings it was very handy to have and easy to use. When the weather turned warmer it was easy to take off and store in a pocket.
        This concludes my Field Report. The Long Term Report will be added to this report in approximately two months from the date of this report. Please check back then for more information.

        Copyright 2009.� All rights reserved.