FR - Sitka Gear Core Zip - Ray

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
      Hi TV,

      Here is the first of my three FRs that are due next week. The HTML may
      be found here;

      http://tinyurl.com/7yvoe3

      The text is below.

      Thanks,

      Ray

      FIELD REPORT
      Field Conditions

      The Core Zip has been worn, or along, on the following trips.

      Dave and I went up to the peak of San Gorgonio via the Dollar lake
      trail as Dave has never been that way. It had rained the day before
      and they were calling for below-freezing temps so we figured we may
      see snow or ice. It was 35 F (1.7 C) when we started at an altitude of
      6880 ft (2097 m). At the summit it was 31 F (-0.6 C) and the wind
      chill was registering at 17 F (-8 C). We went 23.2 miles (37 km). The
      picture below is at the start of this trip.

      Jenn and I went to the Ortega Candy Store trailhead and did the Bear
      Canyon/Bear Ridge loop in the San Mateo Wilderness. 6.8 miles (11 km)
      in temps to about 80 F (27 C) on up and down trails that were either
      sandy or rocky. We had 1100 ft (335 m) of elevation gain and loss.
      (The Core Zip went in the pack almost immediately as it was warmer
      than expected.)

      Dave and I went 27 miles (43 km) on the PCT from Green Valley to
      Vasquez Rocks This hike saw 5000 ft (1524 m) of gain as we went over
      three passes in temperatures started at 43 F and climbed to 70 F (6 to
      21 C). The terrain was dirt, scree or rock.

      Dave and I spent two days in the Tehachapi Mountains just south of
      Sequoia National Forest. The temps were between 35 and 66 F (2 to 19
      C). We went 42 miles (68 km). We had to carry all our water so my pack
      weight was 35 lb (15.9 kg) starting out.

      Jenn and I celebrated New Years Eve by spending the night in Round
      Valley in Mount San Jacinto State Park. We snow shoed 6 miles (10 km)
      and stayed at an elevation of 9100 ft (2775 m) on 5 ft (1.5 m) of snow
      pack. The temps ran from 40 to 22 F (4 to -6 C). Thankfully there was
      no wind to speak of.

      The Core Zip has seen a lot use in Minnesota where I have worn it
      under a rain coat and down sweater in rain, freezing rain, winter mix
      and snow. With lots and lots of wind! Temperatures were as low as -12
      F (-24 C) with wind chills to -40.

      I also wore it skiing in our California mountains.

      Observations

      So far I have been impressed with the Core Zip as a hiking and
      backpacking base layer. I have worn it as a solo shirt a few times on
      hikes and it is comfortable if a little loose. At the last minute I
      changed my size to an XLarge as I heard the Large did not fit another
      shorter tester. I wish that I had stuck with the Large as the Core Zip
      hangs off my arms and body creating folds and bunching when I put a
      fleece or down sweater over it. My suggestion is to trust Sitka Gear's
      sizing chart.

      The fabric has proven to be quite warm when used under a coat. On the
      trip to San Gorgonio we hit some high winds and the temps dropped. I
      just put a shell over the Core Zip and completed the climb without
      resorting to extra layers which I did have in my pack. (It should be
      noted that I am a very warm-blooded hiker.)

      On the other hand that same wind, any wind for that matter, went right
      through the fabric. It has the least wind blocking ability of any
      shirt I own, even my lighter weight base layers. It is almost like the
      open weave channels wind right through. I am not knocking the shirt
      for this as it is a layering piece made to be covered, but I hike a
      lot in just my base layers and have to cover up much sooner with this
      one.

      The odor control has been very good. As good at this point in the test
      as any synthetic I have used. I will watch this more as I get into
      some bigger trips now that the holiday season is past. On the New
      Year's Eve trip I wore it for two straight days. During the night I
      noticed that where my arm touched my body I was sweating due to having
      a bit too warm of bag. So I put the Core Zip on to keep the sweat from
      transferring to my bag and its 800 fill down. After coming home and
      letting it sit for a couple hors It did not have retained odor. (I on
      the other hand did have some retained odor until Jenn chased me into
      the showerÂ…)

      The durability has been fine so far. No pulls or loose threads have
      shown up. As I keep it exposed much of the time it has been subjected
      to scrapes against rocks and trees but has weathered them all just
      fine.

      One thing I would get rid of is the pocket on the arm. I can't stand
      the feeling of anything in it, and even the zipper pull bothers me at
      times. My dad saw it and thinks it would be a good place to keep a
      fishing or hunting license. I tried a folded up permit and did not
      care for the feeling. Just call me Mr. SensitiveÂ…

      I leave with a shot of me hauling my big gut over four feet of snow.
      Hmmm, me thinks a New Year's resolution is in order. Look for proof of
      it by coming back in a couple of months to read the Long Term Report
      of the final two months of testing this shirt. My thanks to Sitka Gear
      and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to put it through its
      paces.
    • Andrew Buskov
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2009
        Not TV, but AB. It's OK, I'll EDIT N E Way. Nice report, just a few. I feel for you with the resolution, and think I need to make one myself.

        As usual;
        EDIT: Change Me
        Edit: think about changing me
        Comment: Everything else

        AB

        _____
        Visit Corridor9
        http://www.corridor9.net
        ____________________________

        > letting it sit for a couple hors It did not have retained odor. (I on
        EDIT: Hours? Also, end of sentence is weird, starting for "it"

        > and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to put it through its
        Edit: Change it to product name?
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2009
          Thanks AB, (not TV)

          It is raining here so no hiking today. Guess I will watch football. I
          mean write some BGT stuff...

          See you in a couple months,

          Ray