LTR- Origo Traverse Peak Watch- Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
      Hi Jenn,

      Here is my LTR for the Origo watch and links to it. Thanks in advance for your edits and for working with me on this test series.

      Nancy

      http://tinyurl.com/99j29x
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR-%20Origo%20Traverse%20Peak%20Watch-%20Nancy%20Griffith/

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      I have continued to use this watch every other day for consulting the time, weather forecast, altitude and/or temperature. I used the alarm function on a weekly basis while traveling. Some examples of my uses are as follows:

      Backpacking:
      Point Reyes National Seashore (California): 3 days; 0 to 854 ft (0 to 260 m); 39 to 60 F (4 to 15 C); sunny to foggy conditions

      Hiking:
      Foothills of the Sierra Nevada (California): 743 to 1,262 ft (226 to 385 m); 60 to 70 F (15 to 21 C); dry conditions
      Lake Margaret, Sierra Nevada (California): 7,400 to 7,700 ft (2,256 to 2,347 m); 55 to 65 F (13 to 18 C); sunny conditions

      Snowshoeing:
      University Falls, Sierra Nevada (California): 3,450 to 4,100 ft (1,052 to 1,250 m); 31 to 37 F (-0.5 to 3 C); deep snow conditions; sunny

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      My experiences during this test period were similar to those during the field test period. The altimeter is fairly accurate but requires re-setting on a regular basis to maintain good accuracy. The weather forecasting is sometimes spot on and at other times very slow to respond to changing conditions.

      Altimeter:
      At one point, I had the altimeter in a location that was 73 ft (22 m) and it was reading over 4,000 ft (1,219m). Another time, I recalibrated it for a hike at 7,700 ft (2,347 m) and when I got home to 1,900 ft (579 m), it was reading 2,300 ft (700 m).

      Countdown Timer:
      I had used the countdown timer previously but hadn't noticed that once the alarm goes off, it begins to count up. This seems like a useful feature to me since I could see just how long it had taken for me to respond to the alarm. In cases where the timing was critical, I could simply add that time to the countdown time to know the exact elapsed time.

      Alarm/Battery Life:
      I was able to test the watch to near the end of its battery life. After about 18 weeks of use, I set the wake-up alarm. It did not sound. I saw the battery indicator flashing and consulted the instruction manual. It says that once the battery indicator flashes, the alarms will not sound and the backlight will not work. It recommends changing the battery immediately. I did not replace the battery so that I could see if the watch remained accurate although the battery life was waning. The functions did seem to remain accurate and continued to work fine for another two weeks. It never went completely dead during the test period.

      Waterproof:
      I left the watch outside overnight on my backpacking trip so that I could get an accurate reading of the temperature in the mornings. There was extremely heavy dew overnight and the watch was completely soaking wet but the moisture never caused any problems.

      Durability:
      The durability of the watch continues to be outstanding. There are a few very light scratches on the face and the Origo logo on the back is smeared from reacting with sunscreen. But considering that I rarely wore the watch on my wrist, it really took a beating from hanging on my pack and shows little sign of wear.

      SUMMARY

      My opinion of this watch did not change during this testing period. The Traverse Peak watch has some cool features but the altimeter, weather forecast and compass seem best suited as reference and not features to be relied upon with certainty.

      Likes:
      Weather forecasting for rain
      Altimeter
      Waterproof
      Durability

      Dislikes:
      Size
      Lack of method for hanging from a pack
      No constant on for the backlight

      CONTINUED USE

      I won't plan to wear this watch due to the large size. But I may remove the watch bands and devise my own way to hang it.

      This concludes my Long-Term Report and the test series for the Origo Traverse Peak watch.

      I would like to thank Origo and BackpackGearTest.org for choosing me to participate in this test.

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.

    • Jenn E.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2009
        Nancy

        Thank you for your LTR, your edits will follow. They will take the following format:

        EDIT: Must be changed.
        Edit: Should be changed but will be left to your discretion.
        Comment: Just that or something to think about.

        ***University Falls, Sierra Nevada (California): 3,450 to 4,100 ft (1,052 to 1,250 m); 31 to 37 F (-0.5 to 3 C); deep snow conditions; sunny

        Edit: 31 to 37 F (-1 to 3 C) -0.55 should be rounded up to -1 with no decimal places

        ***Altimeter:

        Comment: Nancy I think it would be beneficial to list more information about the altimeter function. Such as instances when it performs close to accurate while hiking and how you compensated for the altimeter being off. I think this area of the report is lacking. How long after you calibrate the watch does the altimeter remain accurate after hiking and is it remaining accurate overnight?

        Comment: At the end of your IR and FR you tell the reader that the report will be amended in two months. I would delete these sections (indicated below) for better report flow. You also indicated at the conclusion of your field report that you were going to test the watch with gloves on. Do you have any comments about operating the watch with gloves on?

        ***Initial Report
        Thanks to Origo and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test the Traverse Peak watch.

        This concludes my Initial Report. The Field Report will be amended to this report in approximately two months from the date of this report. Please check back then for further information.

        ***Field Report

        Thanks to Origo and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test the Traverse Peak watch.

        This concludes my Field Report. The Long-Term Report will be amended to this report in approximately two months from the date of this report. Please check back then for further information.

        You are free to upload.

        Don't forget to delete your report from the test folder.

        Jenn E.

      • Nancy Griffith
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2009
          Hi Jenn,

          Thanks for your edits. I've made changes and uploaded to the folder (and deleted the test file). Please check it out since I've added some words about the altimeter and wearing gloves.

          > Comment: At the end of your IR and FR you tell the reader
          > that the report will be amended in two months. I would
          > delete these sections (indicated below) for better report
          > flow.

          This is a really good point but one that I hadn't seen anyone mention. Do you always delete those statements when you create the next report? I'm going to start doing that.

          Nancy
        • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2009
            Yep - I insert the next section right above that statement, and then
            modify the statement to look for the appropriate follow up report. So
            there is only ever one "come back in two moths" statement, and it is
            always at the end of the combined report. Easy as pie!

            Jet

            backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com wrote on 01/06/2009 09:55:50 AM:

            > Hi Jenn,
            >
            > Thanks for your edits. I've made changes and uploaded to the folder
            > (and deleted the test file). Please check it out since I've added
            > some words about the altimeter and wearing gloves.
            >
            > > Comment: At the end of your IR and FR you tell the reader
            > > that the report will be amended in two months. I would
            > > delete these sections (indicated below) for better report
            > > flow.
            >
            > This is a really good point but one that I hadn't seen anyone
            > mention. Do you always delete those statements when you create the
            > next report? I'm going to start doing that.
            >
            > Nancy

          • JennE
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6, 2009
              Nancy

              You new additions/statements to the report look great.

              It has been over a year since we started the new report format, but I
              think it was discussed (maybe it was not)to delete the section that
              says the report will be amended in two months from the previous
              version of the report. Anyway, I think it reads odd to have a report
              series that flows with the statement to check back in two months and
              then go into the FR or the LTR. But, that is my personal opinion and
              that is why I designated the edit as a comment.

              Jenn

              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Griffith