FR - Bilt Vite Stainless Steel Water Bottle - Ed Morse

  • Edwin Morse
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009
      FR - Coloured Vite Plus Single Wall Stainless Steel Sport Bottle – Ed
      Morse
      Chris,
      Here is text only version of my Field Report for the Bilt Vite
      Stainless Steel Water Bottle.

      The complete HTML version should be found in the TESTS folder at:
      http://tinyurl.com/7ygqjb

      BILT VITE STAINLESS STEEL WATER BOTTLE
      TEST SERIES BY EDWIN MORSE
      FR
      January 01, 2009
      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>
      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS
      The weather has varied from cool to cold for most of my hikes during
      the last two months. The high temperature while I was hiking was 70 F
      (21 C) one sunny afternoon, while the low temperature was 22 F(-6 C)
      when I was eating breakfast at 6:00 one morning. There have been a
      few rainy days and a few bright sunny days. Several mornings have
      been frosty as well as cold. Mostly the terrain has been rolling hard
      wood and pine forests.
      I've been on at least ten day hikes while carrying the Bilt Vite
      Stainless Steel water bottle. I've also done one two night
      backpacking hike and two over night hikes. All except one of the
      backpacking hikes were in the Manistee National Forest (MNF) in
      northwest Lower Michigan.
      The third overnight was in the Ocala National Forest (ONF) in
      Florida. The weather was cooler than I expected in Florida but not
      much different than late summer in Michigan. The high temperature for
      this hike the first two days of December was 64 F (18 C) with a low
      in the morning of 38 F (3 C). Michigan is relatively flat compared
      with New England or the western states but Florida is really flat. In
      Michigan the big trees are red and white pines and red and white
      oaks. In the ONF the big were live oaks and a few long leaf pines
      while the prevalent plants I recognized were the palmetto, live oaks
      and long leaf pines.
      Day hikes were in the MNF, the Sleeping Bear Dunes and the Pere
      Marquette State Forest. I've used the Bilt Vite water bottle for all
      hikes I've done in the last four months.
      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD
      I've been using hydration systems and have not carried a water bottle
      in several years. I carry the Coloured Vite Plus Single Wall
      Stainless Steel Sport Bottle in a side pocket of my pack, whether on
      a day hike or backpacking. I use the hydration system for drinking
      while hiking and use the water bottle when eating lunch or dinner.
      I don't generally like any water container in the tent when I'm
      sleeping. I had bad experiences twice in the last few years when I
      put weight on a hydration bladder with the hose still attached. I
      rolled over on a full bladder once and another time I set my nearly
      full pack on the bladder. I had water all over the floor of the tent
      before I discovered the problem. Now I put hydration bladders outside
      the tent for the night. The Coloured Vite Plus Single Wall Stainless
      Steel Sport Bottle I believe safe enough to keep inside the tent.

      My third overnight hike was in the ONF in early December. I started
      hiking at Juniper Springs and stopped for lunch at Hidden Pond.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "lunch near Hidden Pond" IMAGE CAPTION
      = "lunch break with a view">>
      Here is a picture of the view where I ate lunch near Hidden Pond
      which was behind me when I took the picture. There are several rather
      secluded campsites in this area.
      I used a hammock for the first time while backpacking in the Ocala
      NF. I was able to fill all my the Stainless Steel Sport Bottle
      directly from the hand pump at the Hopkins Prairie campground, which
      is much easier than filtering water and then pouring it into the
      bottle. I had brought an extra Ziploc bag so I could pump into the
      Ziploc and pour into the Bilt Vite bottle. The small stream that the
      pump produced let me pump directly into the water bottle.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "backpacking in Ocala NF" IMAGE
      CAPTION = "my campsite at Hopkins Prairie">>
      Here is my campsite at Hopkins Prairie in the Ocala National Forest,
      after filling all my water containers at the pump. Even with all the
      advantages (pump, tables, fire pits and outhouses), I decided again
      that I prefer not to camp in established campgrounds.
      The Bilt Vite is heavier than other water containers I use, which is
      a bit of a problem since I'm trying to lower my pack weight.
      Another 'problem' is filling the bottle. Filling is easy at home with
      the kitchen faucet. Filling the bottle in camp is not usually so
      easy. With other systems, both hydration and with many bottles, I can
      fill directly from my MSR filter outlet hose. With the Bilt Vite
      bottle I usually have to fill another container first and then pour
      the water into the bottle since the MSR filter adapter does not fit
      the bottle top opening.
      As an aside from backpacking and hiking, I also keep the Vite Plus
      water bottle in the vehicle when I'm driving.
      SUMMARY
      It has been interesting to test the Coloured Vite Plus Single Wall
      Stainless Steel Sport Bottle. I have found that I like using a
      bottle for drinking when I eat lunch or dinner. While I'm hiking I
      use the hydration system and I throw the hose and bite valve over my
      shoulder to keep it out of the way. This lets me take off the pack
      and set it on the ground without getting the bite valve in the dirt.
      The Bilt Vite bottle eliminates this problem with the cover for the
      drinking spout.
      Likes;
      Water comes out only when I want it to,
      I can tip the bottle over and not worry about water leaks,
      It is easy to drink from if the proper procedure is followed,
      The bottle is easy to fill from a faucet or hand pump.
      Dislikes;
      The bottle is heavy,
      The bottle does not hold enough water,
      Proper procedure MUST be followed to drink from the bottle.
      The opening does NOT fit my water filter so it is more hassle to fill
      the bottle when backpacking. If the screw top opening would fit the
      outlet adapter on my water filter I could filter directly into the
      water bottle.
      There is one change I would like to see in this system - the size of
      the fill opening should fit the outlet hose adapters of popular water
      filters.
      This concludes my Field Report on the Bilt Coloured Vite Plus Single
      Wall Stainless Steel Sport Bottle. Please check back in about 2
      months for the Long Term Report.
      I would like to thank Backpackgeartesters and Bilt for the
      opportunity to test the Coloured Vite Plus Single Wall Stainless
      Steel Sport Bottle.

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
    • thebootfitters
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2009
        Ed,

        Nice report! I have a few edits and comments for your consideration
        below. If you choose to add any significant text based on my
        comments, I'll be happy to take another look if you wish. Otherwise,
        feel free to upload after making these updates.

        As usual, the edits will take the form outlined below...

        EDIT: Must be changed.
        Edit: Should be changed but will be left to your discretion.
        Comment: Just that or something to think about.

        EDIT: Space needed between "F" and "("
        > The high temperature while I was hiking ... was 22 F(-6 C)

        EDIT: I'm not certain whether you intend to start a new paragraph
        here, but you should either remove the carriage return
        after "forests" to keep the next sentence in the same paragraph or
        add another return to start a new paragraph. It seems to make sense
        to keep this as one paragraph, but that's your call.
        > Mostly the terrain has been rolling hard wood and pine forests.
        > I've been

        EDIT: Two changes needed here... 1) add a hyphen between "two"
        and "night" so that it is clear you did one two-night trip; and
        2) "over night" should be together -- as in "overnight"
        > I've also done one two night backpacking hike and two over night
        hikes.

        Edit: Your use of the present simple perfect tense here (have not
        carried) suggests that you still are not carrying the water bottle.
        Consider switching to the past simple perfect tense (had not carried"
        to indicate that you made a change at a point in time and now you DO
        carry the bottle.
        > I've been using hydration systems and have not carried a water
        bottle in several years.

        Edit: Consider adding "to be" between "believe" and "safe enough"
        for clarity.
        > ...I believe safe enough to keep inside the tent.

        EDIT: In your likes/dislikes section, a colon (:) should follow each
        heading instead of a semi-colon (;). Also, given that each of your
        stated likes and dislikes express a complete thought, they should
        have either a semi-colon (;) or a period after them instead of a
        comma. You may wish to consider turning these into a bulleted list,
        for example by adding an asterisk before each line ("* Water comes
        out only when I want it to.").
        > Likes;
        > Water comes out only when I want it to,
        > I can tip the bottle over and not worry about water leaks,

        Edit: While I think your current structure gets the point across,
        the following sentence is a great opportunity to exploit the power of
        the colon. Consider using a colon (:) after "system" to add emphasis
        to your suggested change.
        > There is one change I would like to see in this system - the size

        Comment: I have come to appreciate your commentary in your reports,
        such as the excerpts below. However, you may wish to consider
        whether these comments add any value relevant to the water bottle for
        the wider audience reading this report. Your call, of course. :-)

        > In Michigan the big trees are red and white pines and red and white
        oaks. In the ONF the big were live oaks and a few long leaf pines
        while the prevalent plants I recognized were the palmetto, live oaks
        and long leaf pines.

        > There are several rather secluded campsites in this area.

        > Even with all the advantages (pump, tables, fire pits and
        outhouses), I decided again that I prefer not to camp in established
        campgrounds.

        Comment: You make a few references to filling the bottle in the
        field, but don't specifically indicate how you did so. You may wish
        to consider adding some commentary on what methods you found to be
        most effective to fill the bottle in the field. Did you ever fill it
        directly from a stream or lake and treat in the bottle? What type of
        container was easiest to use to pour into the water bottle?

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2009
          _____

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2009
            Ed,

            I like the additional information you offered in your re-posted
            report. I have a few additional lowercase "edits" for you to
            consider below.

            Oh, and thanks for being so easy-going! ;-)

            > With other systems, both most hydration bladders and with many
            bottles, I can fill directly from my MSR filter outlet hose.

            Edit: This sentence reads a bit awkwardly to me. I see many simple
            ways to "fix" it so that it reads more smoothly, any one of which
            would be fine. I'll throw one option on the table for you to
            consider: "With other systems, including most hydration bladders and
            many bottles," Your call on if and how you wish to address this one.

            > When backpacking I carry a both a one liter (1 qt) and a two liter
            (2 qt) Platypus hydration bladder.

            Edit: I always struggle with this one because I believe a one liter
            bottle is almost standard enough to not need a conversion. Kind of
            like it's a brand name or something. But my understanding is that if
            you do list measurements and volumes, the abbreviations are preferred
            (i.e. 1 L and 2 L). If Ted (or other experienced monitor) is reading
            this, I think Ed and I both would appreciate some clarification. If
            no one responds, I'll leave it up to you whether you wish to update
            anything here.

            > The opening does NOT fit my water filter...

            Edit: To be consistent with the other bulleted items, an asterisk
            should precede the final item in the list.

            > I would like to thank Backpackgeartesters...

            Edit: I believe that the standard way to spell BackpackGearTest is
            by capitalizing the 'B,' 'G,' & the 'T,' such as in the logo at the
            top of the sight. It's probably fine the way it is, so you can make
            the call.

            That's it! You know the drill from here. Feel free to upload and
            remember to delete the report in the test folder.

            Thanks!

            ~Christopher
          • Edwin Morse
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2009
              Chris,
              All edits made. New HTML uploaded to Bottle folder and deleted from TESTS
              folder.

              I also believe that hydration bladders should not need a conversion. This
              was an intentional 'blunder'.

              Thanks for your patience. I will be back in about 2 months with the third
              installment.

              Ed M

              _____