IR - DAKINE Ridge Crew - Coy Boy

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 21, 2008
      Hello Jason, You must have been bad to get stuck with me on 2 test
      simultaneously... Anyways, here is my IR for the DAKINE Ridge Crew.
      Nice shirt. I couldn't think of a lot to say but maybe by the time I
      get to test it some I will have a lot to say. I avoided the
      temptation to put in a test plan...any edits or comments welcome.
      Enjoy!

      Test folder version: http://tinyurl.com/7rvu8p

      DAKINE RIDGE CREW
      Test Series by Coy Starnes
      Initial Report
      December 21, 2008

      image of shirt on me

      Tester: Coy Starnes
      Gender: Male
      Age: 46
      Weight: 238 lb (108 kg)
      Height: 6 ft (1.8 m)
      Chest: 45.5 in (116 cm)
      E-Mail: starnescr@...
      Location: Grant, Alabama, USA

      Tester Biography
      I live in Northeast Alabama. I enjoy biking, hunting, fishing,
      canoeing, and most other outdoor activities but backpacking is my
      favorite pastime. I enjoy hiking with friends and family or solo. I
      hike throughout the year and actually hike less in the hot humid
      months of summer. My style is slow and steady and my gear is light.
      However, I will sacrifice weight for comfort and durability. A
      typical 3-season load for me is around 20 lb (9 kg) not counting food
      or water.

      Initial Report: December 21, 2008

      Product: Dakine Ridge Crew
      Manufacture: Dakine
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Sizes Available: S, M, L and XL
      Size I am Testing: XL
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: need to get
      Color: Olive Chop Shop
      MSRP: N/A?

      (pic of underarm vent on left of text below)

      Product Description
      The DAKINE Ridge Crew is a long sleeve base layer form the Snowboard
      collection (also listed under the Ski section). It is listed as a
      Mid-Weight [100% Polyester Double-Knit]
      * Two layers for warmth and dryness with no bulk
      * AEGIS Microbe Shield anti-bacterial fabric treatment
      * underarm venting with soft poly mesh

      The website did not list much about the shirt other than the above but
      the box in which the shirt came had this to say. " DAKINE's Base Layer
      fabrics are extra breathable for maximum evaporation, heat regulation
      and comfort. DAKINE Base Layers protect you from damp cold clothing
      and icy wind gust stealing your essential body heat. The quick drying
      properties ensure you'll be as comfortable on the first run as the
      last" I might have worded it last run as the first...

      Initial Impression
      The Ridge Crew appears to be a very well made base layer. I was glad
      to see it has no tags at the neck area but it does have a care tag
      located on a side seam down near the bottom of the shirt. However,
      after several hours of wearing the shirt I haven't really noticed the
      tag so it may not matter. The color of the shirt is listed as Olive
      Chop Shop, which to me is a weird name for a color, and to be honest,
      the shirt does look a little weird, however, I like it. And while I
      don't usually mention packaging in a report, I was impressed with the
      box this shirt came in. It had the basic information about the shirt
      (some not found on the website) in no less than six languages and was
      just an overall nice looking box.

      Trying It On and Early Testing
      The Ridge Crew is easy to put on. The XL fits me very well. I liked
      that the sleeves are a good length for me and the waist is not to
      short. I am long waisted and some shirts tend to ride up exposing
      some of my big belly after awhile but this has not been a problem with
      the Ridge Crew so far. I got no static shock putting it on or taking
      it off as it was a very warm and humid the day it arrived. I wore it
      a couple of hours and liked the fell of the material. However, the
      next time I tried it on it was much colder but still fairly humid.
      Still no static shock. I will have to see if I notice any later when
      the air dries out. I haven't worn the shirt enough to develope any
      more of an opinion other than this quick observation.

      This concludes my Initial Report. Stay tuned for the Field Report
      which should be forthcoming in about two months to see how well the
      DAKINE Ridge Crew is working. I would like to thank DAKINE and
      BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this base layer.
    • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2009
        The Dakine Ridge Crew was on my doorstep when I returned from holiday
        travels December 31. The shirt was in a plastic bag, which was in the
        store-shelf box, wrapped in a padded envelope, which was inside a shipping
        box. Major over packaging! But the shirt is fine and looks rather
        stylish, despite the snow, rain, and sub-freezing temperatures which
        occurred throughout the time I was gone. IR to come sometime after I
        readjust to being back in Iowa.

        Happy New Year!

        JET

      • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 13, 2009
          Jason - Here at long last is my DaKine Ridge Crew shirt report. I must
          have developed writers block with three reports and 15 reports to edit
          since the 5th. Anyway... I kind of let the pictures do the talking. See
          what you think.

          Best...

          Jet
          (James E. Triplett)

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/JETs%20DaKine%20Ridge%20Crew%20Report/
          -or-
          http://tinyurl.com/JETsRidgeCrew

          =========================

          DaKine Ridge Crew
          <image>
          Mid-Weight Base Layer Pullover Shirt

          by James E. Triplett
          Initial Report - January 9, 2009

          Personal Biographical Information:
          Name: James E. Triplett
          Age: 48
          Gender: Male
          Height: 6' 2" (188 cm)
          Weight: 190 lb (86 kg)
          Chest: 44" (112 cm)
          Sleeve length: 35" (89 cm)
          Neck: 16 1/2" (42 cm)
          Email address: james_triplett@...
          City, State: Cedar Rapids, Iowa - USA

          Backpacking Background:
          I am an experienced hiker, backpacker, and camper, and am gaining more
          experience with winter camping every year. I hike every day, and backpack
          when possible, which leads to many weekends backpacking and camping each
          year. I try and take at least one annual week-long backpacking trip in
          addition to many one to three-night weekend trips. My style can best be
          described as lightweight, but not at the cost of giving up too much
          comfort. I generally sleep in a tent, and seem to be collecting quite a
          few of them to choose from.

          <image>

          Manufacturer Information:
          Manufacturer: DaKine (Hood River, Oregon)

          Product Information:
          Year of Manufacture: 2008
          Date Item Received: December 31, 2008

          Item being tested: Ridge Crew
          Model number: 8580-062-28
          Color: Olive Chop Shop
          MSRP: None listed
          Listed weight: none
          Actual weight: 10 oz (283 g)
          Size: XL

          Additional DaKine Ridge Crew information:
          (from the DaKine website)

          Fabric:
          * 100% Polyester Double-Knit
          * Two layers for warmth and dryness with no bulk
          * AEGIS Microbe Shield anti-bacterial fabric treatment

          Features:
          * Underarm venting with soft poly mesh

          Sizes & Color choices:
          * Small through XL
          * Olive Chop Shop (this test)
          * Charcoal / Black Chop Shop
          * Black / Cyan Chop Shop

          <image>

          Initial Report
          January 9, 2009

          Initial Inspection:
          The DaKine Ridge Crew mid-weight base layer pullover arrived in perfect
          condition. My first impression is that the Olive Chop Shop pattern is
          very intriguing. The various shades of green, and the detailed repeating
          pattern, make this garment stylish and attractive, not to mention quite
          unique in appearance. The inside of the fabric is lighter colored and is
          soft to the touch. The DaKine logo is embroidered in on the lower left
          side. The shirt is manufactured in Taiwan.

          <image>

          I didn't really have any expectations other than what I could see in the
          picture on DaKine's website. The web page has very limited information
          (only what is in the bullets above), and the shirt arrived with only two
          hang tags, which didn't add anything to what I had already learned from my
          research, other than one additional line on the AEGIS Microbe Shield
          anti-bacterial fabric treatment. The AEGIS tag states that Microbe Shield
          is "the revolutionary bonded antibacterial technology", and that it
          "provides protection against odor, staining, and deterioration caused by
          bacteria, fungus, and other microorganisms".

          <image>

          I couldn't find a sizing chart on the DaKine website, so I requested an
          extra large size, and it seems to fit well. Lying flat, the Ridge Crew
          appears a little boxy to me, and in fact when trying it on I wished it was
          a little bit longer. I'll see how well it stays tucked in and whether or
          not the length is any kind of an issue. The appearance isn't that of a
          shirt that is too short, but it's just not quite as long as what I am
          accustomed to. Otherwise the shirt seems to be well constructed with
          heavy seams which are evenly stitched. The solid color poly mesh pit
          vents are unobtrusive and are definitely "vents" as I can see through the
          holes in the mesh easily when holding the shirt put in front of me. I
          hope the vents work well, and I am anxious to see how they perform when I
          use different layering techniques.

          <image>

          Initial Report Summary:
          The DaKine Ridge Crew mid-weight base layer pullover makes a statement
          with the combination of its somewhat wild pattern, and its warm color
          scheme. It is unique, and maybe not for everybody, but I like it! The
          shirt exhibits solid materials and workmanship, and is comfortable to have
          on.

          Unfortunately, the website, as well as the packaging, provide almost no
          information on the shirt. This is a shame for such a cool shirt. For a
          backpacking base-layer, which can be used in extreme conditions, I would
          like to know more about its properties. Also, I could never get the
          "purchase now" links on the website to get me anywhere.

          I look forward to getting out on the trail in the Ridge Crew. I am
          particularly interested in the pit-vents, and the "protection against
          odor" attributes of the shirt.

          This concludes my initial report on the DaKine Ridge Crew. My field test
          report will be added here in approximately two months.

          Respectfully submitted,

          -James T.

        • Jason Boyle
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 19, 2009
            Jet,

             Nice report and pictures.  I like the layout and the way your explained the shirt.  Well done.  I don't have any edits for you. Please upload, and make sure to delete your version from the test folder.

            Jason B
            Dakine Monitor