IR- Red Ledge Parable Jacket- Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 2008
      Hi Larry,

      Here's my IR for the Red Ledge Parable jacket. I know that we're on BGT vacation, so I won't expect edits right away.
      Have a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

      Nancy

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR-%20Red%20Ledge%20Parable%20Jacket-%20Nancy%20Griffith/

      http://tinyurl.com/4pj5zo

      RED LEDGE PARABLE JACKET
      TEST SERIES BY NANCY GRIFFITH
      IR
      December 19, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nancy Griffith
      EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 42
      LOCATION: Northern California
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 132 lb (60.00 kg)

      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails. The culmination was a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds. I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania. I have completed all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina. Now I usually hike in the Sierra Nevada of California. Most of my trips are section hikes or loops from a few days to a week. I carry a light to mid-weight load, use a tent, stove and hiking poles.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Parable">>
      Manufacturer: Red Ledge
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.redledge.com" LINK TEXT = "http://www.redledge.com">>
      MSRP: $189.99 US
      Listed Weight: Not available
      Measured Weight: 2.2 lb (1 kg)
      Size Tested: Women's Medium
      Color Tested: Delft
      Listed center back length: 29 in (74 cm) (medium)
      Measured center back length: 29 in (74 cm)

      The tag inside the jacket lists the materials as follows:
      Shell: 100% nylon
      Insulation: 100% polyester
      Lining 1: 100% polyester
      Lining 2: 100% nylon

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Red Ledge Parable jacket came on a heavy-duty plastic hanger with 7 hangtags. The hangtags list the following information:
      - Jacket model, size, MSRP and Made in China
      - Red Ledge tag with materials and list of features for this jacket.
      - CYCLEPET tag indicating use of post-consuming PET
      - Waterproof/Breathable
      - T-Core LX Waterproof/Breathable material
      - Seam Sealed
      - Texpedition insulation

      The Red Ledge Parable jacket is a technical soft shell waterproof breathable insulated parka. The outer fabric is nylon. The insulation is called 'Texpedition' which is polyester and claims to have an excellent warmth to weight ratio. The waterproof layer is a laminate called T-CoreLX with a DWR (durable water repellent) coating. There is a green CYCLEPET tag on the side seam of the jacket.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "CYCLEPET">>

      The main front zipper can be opened from either the top or bottom. The storm flap over the front zipper is closed at the top and bottom with a snap. Between the snaps are 4 sections of hook and loop for complete closure. The top 4 in (10 cm) portion of the zipper has a draft stop lined with micro-fleece to keep my face from touching the zipper.

      There are two chest pockets which both have a partial storm flap and waterproof zippers. There are also two zippered hand warmer pockets with a fleece lining. These two zippers have a full storm flap. Inside the pockets are cord locks for adjusting the waist drawcord. These cord locks are secured to the inside of the pocket. All of the external pockets have zipper pulls and close to the top and open to the bottom. There is one zippered pocket inside the jacket at the left side chest. The vents under each arm pit have double-ended waterproof zippers, but the zippers do not have the coated appearance that the chest pocket zippers have.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Waterproof zips">>

      The powder skirt has an elasticized gripper hem and two snaps for closure. Between the snaps is a hook and loop section to completely close the front. When the skirt is not in use, there is a loop section to hold the hook portion so that it does not get caught on other things.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Skirt">>
      All seams are 100% sealed either with seam tape or with seam-sealing glue.

      The hood is detachable via a zipper and has hook and loop attachments on either side of the collar opening. The brim is slightly stiff which keeps it held out away from my face. A drawcord which is secured at either side of the collar allows for adjustment of the hood opening. This drawcord does not use a standard cord lock but rather has a tube section with a slit. The cord can be secured in the slit. The drawcord goes through a soft microfleece section in the center so that this softer material is touching my face when the hood is tightened. I like that idea. The hood also has a hook and loop tab on the top to allow it to be held back on the head.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Hood cord lock">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Hood cord fleece">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Hood tab">>

      There is a knitted draft collar and a hang loop at the base of it.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Collar">>

      The cuffs have a hook-and-loop closure to allow for adjustment of the cuff tightness.

      The hem has a drawcord which is adjusted at the side seam on the inside of the jacket hem. The cord locks are secured to the jacket. The hem length in the rear is longer than in the front which looks like a short shirt tail from the side.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS & TRYING IT OUT

      My first impression of the jacket was its light weight and lack of bulk as compared to my other winter ski jacket. I often get too hot to wear my jacket while snowshoeing and a less bulky jacket would be easier to stuff in my pack. I also was pleased with the appearance of the jacket. It has a two-tone blue color and is quite fashionable.

      The fit of the jacket is really comfortable due the lighter weight. The shoulder room and the arm length are just right. It feels roomy enough that my movement is not restricted at all. The powder skirt is not overly tight, but is a nice snug fit. The hood seems to fit fine although I'll have to see how it is in actual use. It is not large enough to use with a helmet underneath. The fleece inside the lower hand-warmer pockets feels really cozy.

      The second time that I wore the jacket, I noticed that the loop portion on one of the hook-and-loop sections of the front storm flap had a thread unraveling. This was allowing a 0.5 in (12 mm) section of it to pull away from the jacket.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Loop section lifting">>

      I wore it for a few short walks in cool windy weather and could not feel any wind coming through the jacket.

      PROS & CONS

      Likes:
      Light weight
      Not bulky
      Detachable hood
      Fleece-lined pockets
      Fashionable appearance

      Dislikes:
      Stitching coming out on loop closure section

      SUMMARY

      The Parable jacket is not yet on the website, so I cannot comment on how it compares to its advertising. However, the hang tag lists 'upper chest pocket with zip closure' but there are two chest pockets. And it lists 'two internal zip pockets', but there is only one internal pocket. I was not able to find a sizing chart on the website.

      Despite the one stitch coming apart, the jacket seems to be well-made. It has several nice features and is really comfortable.

      Thanks to Red Ledge and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test this jacket.

      This concludes my Initial Report. The Field Report will be appended to this report in approximately two months from the date of this report. Please check back then for further information.

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.

    • larry
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2009
        Hi Nancy-

        Now that BGT is going back on-line, I felt motivated to get your
        edits for the Parable done!

        I have a few comments about the report, which are included below with
        a few edits.
        Please consider the comments, fix the edits, and upload at your
        convenience.

        See you at FR time

        -larry
        p.s. Happy New Year!

        Comment: Although I appreciate your including a lot of photos into
        the report, I was actually having trouble figuring out what some of
        the pictures show, particularly with some of the close up shots. Take
        another look at the photos (particularly pics 3, 4, 5, and 6) and see
        if you can clarify what is being shown, especially for someone who
        doesn't have the whole jacket in front of him/her. This clarification
        can be either in the photos themselves, with labels, or in the text,
        as seems best to you.

        Edit: Now I usually hike in the Sierra Nevada of California.
        >>>Sierra Nevada what?—mountains? Hills? Trail? Seems like something
        is missing here!

        Edit: The powder skirt has an elasticized gripper hem…
        >>>To be honest, I have no idea what a powder skirt is. Can you
        include a few words of explanation? (Incidentally, would you find a
        powder skirt on a man's jacket??)

        Edit: My first impression of the jacket was its light weight and lack
        of bulk as
        compared to my other winter ski jacket.
        >>>This seems kind of awkward--can you rephrase? How about something
        like "My first impression of the jacket included the observation
        that…" or "When I first tried on the jacket, I noticed that it was…"

        Comment/query: The fit of the jacket is really comfortable due the
        lighter weight. The shoulder room and the arm length are just right.
        It feels roomy enough that my movement is not restricted at all.
        >>>What did you have on under the jacket? How does this compare to
        what you would wear on the trail or while snowshoeing/skiing?

        Comment: The second time that I wore the jacket, I noticed that the
        loop portion on one of the hook-and-loop sections of the front storm
        flap had a thread unraveling. This was allowing a 0.5 in (12 mm)
        section of it to pull away from the jacket.
        >>>I like the way you handled this issue in the IR!

        Comment: I wore it for a few short walks in cool windy weather and
        could not feel any wind coming through the jacket.
        >>>From your note about the jacket, I know that you have worn the
        jacket a couple of times. How about putting this statement (and
        whatever else you wanted to include about how much you have worn the
        jacket) at the top of the `trying it out' section, rather than at the
        bottom?
      • Nancy Griffith
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 9, 2009
          Hi Larry,

          Thanks for your edits. I have made changes and uploaded to the folder (and deleted the test file).

          <Comment: Although I appreciate your including a lot of photos into teh report, I was actually having trouble figuring out what some of
          <the pictures show, particularly with some of the close up shots. Take another look at the photos (particularly pics 3, 4, 5, and 6) and see
          <if you can clarify what is being shown, especially for someone who doesn't have the whole jacket in front of him/her. This clarification
          <can be either in the photos themselves, with labels, or in the text, as seems best to you.
          I added some text in the report. There are also descriptions if you hover over the pictures.

          <Edit: Now I usually hike in the Sierra Nevada of California.
          <>>>Sierra Nevada what?—mountains? Hills? Trail? Seems like something is missing here!
          Funny enough, I got the opposite edit last year I think from Sheila. Her thought was that Sierra Nevada in itself means snow-capped mountain range so 'mountains' is redundant. She is technically correct and on maps Sierra Nevada usually doesn't also say 'mountains' like the Rocky Mountains do. Anyway, I also agree with you that it may be unclear to those not so familiar, so I added it back in.

          See you in a few months!

          Nancy