REPOST - Addendum High Sierra 65 pack - Callahan

  • tcallahanbgt
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2008
      I had 3 failures of this pack after one season. I returned the pack
      to High Sierra under their warranty. So below is an addendum that I
      added to my LTR. This addendum describes the failures and the results
      of going through the warranty process.

      The html version may be found here, http://tinyurl.com/5dkrdp.

      HIGH SIERRA SENTINEL 65 BACKPACK
      TEST SERIES BY TOM CALLAHAN

      ADDENDUM - December 3, 2008

      This section is an addendum to my test series. Following the
      conclusion of the test series in mid-May 2008 I continued to use the
      Sentinel 65 backpack. It was my primary pack for overnight trips and
      I often used it on day hikes, particularly for my training hikes. On
      each outing my pack weight ranged from 35-45 lbs (16 to 20 kg). When
      in the field with this pack I wore it on average 5 hrs/day.
      Following this test series, after 3 overnight trips and about 5 day
      hikes I had 3 failures during a single outing.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Webbing detached on one end" IMAGE
      CAPTION = "Webbing detached on one side">>
      1) The major failure was that of the stitching for a section of the
      horizontal webbing which was the attachment point for the shoulder
      strap harness. The stitching for a section of this webbing let go
      along one side and as a result the webbing came detached on one end.
      I had noticed this particular piece of webbing was taking the
      majority of the strain whenever I was picking up the pack to put it
      on my back. But it never occurred to me this strain might ultimately
      cause the webbing to pull out. Because of the extent to which the
      stitching let go, I had to move the shoulder strap harness down 2
      straps to get to webbing that was still held securely in place.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Hip belt adjustment strapped pulled
      out" IMAGE CAPTION = "Hip belt adjustment strap pulled out">>
      2) On this same outing an adjustment strap on the hip belt pulled out
      from its attachment point on the right side of the pack. This strap
      attachment point is right in a seam. The strain on this strap and the
      seam resulted in the seam pulling open to the point that the strap
      pulled out. Fortunately this was just an adjustment strap, not one
      critical for load distribution.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Broken hydration bladder hook" IMAGE
      CAPTION = "Broken hydration bladder hook">>
      3) The third failure that developed on this same trip was the
      breaking of the plastic hydration hook. I have no idea how this
      happened. I typically used a 3 L hydration bladder and the hook never
      looked or felt like it was strained on any of my trips. So I was
      surprised at the end of the his outing when I looked into the pack
      and there was the broken hook.

      These all seemed like items which would be covered under High
      Sierra's life-time warranty policy. The High Sierra policy is noted
      on the company web site,

      "High Sierra bags are warranted to the original owner against defects
      in materials or workmanship under normal recreational use. If a
      warranted product fails due to a material or manufacturing defect, we
      will repair or replace the product at our option. This warranty does
      not include bags or products with wheels, which have a 5-year
      warranty."

      Through the web site I filled out the on-line Customer Return
      Authorization Form, which included a Comments section where I
      described the pack failures. The next day I received an email with a
      return authorization number and shipping instructions. I then shipped
      the item to High Sierra and 15 days later I received a brand new
      Sentinel 65 backpack. Plus, included with the pack was a form letter
      from High Sierra apologizing for the inconvenience along with a
      coupon for a $10 rebate towards my next High Sierra purchase. This
      return process was easy to do with very timely response on the part
      of High Sierra. Also I was surprised and impressed that High Sierra
      chose to replace rather than repair the pack.

      To sum up, I was disappointed that I experienced these failures after
      only one season of use. I had put the Sentinel 65 pack through some
      hard use with heavy loads which apparently was too much for some of
      the pack's stitching. High Sierra does stand behind their product
      with their warranty, though. Additionally, the warranty return
      process is very smooth with prompt turnaround time. I don't plan on
      using the Sentinel 65 in the future because I don't have confidence
      it can hold up to my typical pack usage. I will likely donate the new
      Sentinel 65 pack I received to a local Boy Scout troop where it will
      be used but probably not quite so rigorously.

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
    • AsABat
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2008
        Tom,

        Great job! Glad to see they stand by their product, and understand
        your final conclusion about future use.

        Upload when ready. (Sorry for the delay, I was out of town last week
        and the internet kept dropping.)

        Bill

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "tcallahanbgt"